1911Forum banner

21 - 40 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
23,841 Posts
About as small as I like to go.

With a wheel gun is either one of my D frame Colt detective specials. Or more often than not the Cobra will get the nod for carry as it weighs about nothing. They are much easier for me to shoot than a J frame.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I had my 642 at the range the other day. First time I've shot it in a few years. I shocked myself with how tight and centered my groups were. In fact, it was right up there with my better 1911 at 25 ft. As I watch more and more actual gunfights on YouTube (honestly, how else does a non-LEO/non-military see a real gunfight?), I see very close range, I see hits not stopping the person, and I see many guns jam. Are all of those guns Jennings .22s? Or is there something else making them jam? My guess is improper holds and limp-wristing. But what I see is very little opportunity to get in a good stance with these quick and close interactions. I've never been accused of limp-wristing. Just would never happen at the range. But if I had to shoot from the hip? The belly? Behind me in a tussle? Every CCW holder has this vision of stopping ISis at the mall at some point. I don't think that's the reality scenario though. It made me really think about real scenarios and the right gun. I'm going to carry the concealed hammer wheel gun now.

Front pocket carry in Nemesis.

·
Registered
762 Posts
With a wheel gun is either one of my D frame Colt detective specials. Or more often than not the Cobra will get the nod for carry as it weighs about nothing. They are much easier for me to shoot than a J frame.

^This!^

The Colt Detective Special is a "better deal" to me than the J-Frame Smith & Wessons are. The Detective Special holds six shots, is effectively as compact as J-Frames are, yet shoots more like a service revolver.

Before retirement, the last years I was employed found banks getting out of business suits and going business casual. I began carrying the Detective Special then. I picked up the Smith & Wesson Model 649 a couple years before I retired, but couldn't make myself leave the Colt at home in favor of toting the J-Frame. Its only since retirement that I started carrying the J-Frame Model 649 and that was mostly to avoid further wear on the Detective Special's finish.

I dearly love Smith & Wesson, at least traditional ones, but Colt had Smith & Wesson beat when they were still making D-Frame snubs like the Detective Special, Cobra, and Agent.

·
Registered
150 Posts
M38 airweight. Pocket or ankle, goes with me everywhere except the post office.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
M60 in a bianchi pocket holster. Right now it wears large pachmayer grips. Im saving for some bone or antler grips. Need to class it up a bit.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
This thread is about s&w leave the dancing ponies in the stable :)

But since you opened the door I carry a ruger lcr 357 owb.

·
Banned
13,565 Posts
I carry a 442 with a set of the gayest pink grips you ever saw in your life.

·
Registered
597 Posts

S&W 638: 9 lbs. double action, front sight painted fluorescent orange, Crimson Trace LG-350-G (green laser) grips, Hornady Critical Defense, 110g FTX +P, Galco cross draw, or leather pocket holster; bare in the left inside pocket of my suit jacket.

·
Registered
739 Posts
S&W 342 in an old Bianchi leather pocket holster.
These little J’s definitely require practice, especially the LW models and especially shooting DA whether a DAO model or shooting a TDA in double action. Fair trade off for something so small and lightweight that still delivers decent punch if you ever need it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
For those of you carrying a S&W J-frame everyday, which model do you actually carry and with what holster?
The J-frame I carry more often than any other is my M43C, 11 ounce, 8-shot 22LR. I usually carry it in a front pocket - that's it, for real.

Other times I'll substitute either one of my 642s - the PRO with moon clips and no IL, or the standard with loose shells and the IL (that has never given in problem in any of the over 50 IL-having S&W's I own).

I don't carry my J-frames in holsters. They're really made for dropping into any sort of pocket and with mostly smooth edges and no hammer, they come right out with ease.

One night I was walking out into the darker portion of the parking lot at a grocery store I don't often frequent, and a couple of dudes suddenly pulled in ahead of me and got out. They came my way asking for money - and why not, it's what they've been raised to do, and of course my response was less than the charitable reply they expect from an older man, in a parking lot alone, out beyond the store lights.
Even as one began to say, "Well then Mu*****F****** just hand over your wa....." I came out with the M43C, and he clearly saw the arm coming up. Before I could even deliver the face-punch with it I was in motion to do, he and his buddy, like a coordinated flight of geese, veered sharply away at run."
I never had to reach for the FiveseveN I had in an SOB holster.
I was in my car a moment later and on MY way.
I'd say that M43C did the job it needed to do.

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
As a B.U.G. ...

For those of you carrying a S&W J-frame everyday, which model do you actually carry and with what holster?
As a B.U.G., recently replaced a micro .380 with a S&W 638. Not certain how *rational* that is ... but I feel better prepared: now it’s a S&W M1911 as the main battery and a S&W .38spl as the secondary battery!

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
My favorite J Frame is a Model 640-1 (.357 Mag). I do not carry mag loads but +P 38 Special Speer Gold Dots for short barrels. I love the slightly larger and stronger SS frame and especially the slightly longer barrel with the underlug. I carry on my waist in a Simply Rugged pancake OWB most of the time. I also have a set of Crimson Trace Lasergrips installed.

When I have need for a lighter weight revolver, I carry a Model 642 or a Model 442 in .38 Special, same ammo as above. I prefer the Centennial style frames for EDC. I also prefer the DAO actions for EDC. I primarily carry the Model 640. It's my all time favorite J Frame revolver.

21 - 40 of 94 Posts