1911Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what Kimber model a newbie 1911 buyer should get. I'm not saying I will get one but help me out here.

I looked at the Kimber Custom II, and several other entry level guns from Colt, Springfield and Charles Daly.

By far the Kimber was the must have, but is it where I should begin? Should I save more and get something better?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
<><> Glockster35, I have 2 Kimbers that I am extremly happy with. The only thing I have done to them is, grips, and sights. It seems the more I shot them, and practiced, (dry-fired) with them, the smoother the triggers became. One is the UC SS, the other is, the Compact II, all steel.
-------------------
Raspy

[This message has been edited by raspy (edited 09-09-2001).]

·
Registered
62 Posts
My new Custom just got here Friday. Spent yesterday and today putting about 500 rounds through it. Very nice! I agree with Raspy. No use spending the big bucks on your first gun. I plan to shoot mine and then investigate upgrades later.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Custom Classic. Still the best value they offer I believe. Great box stock gun.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
I will second the Custom Classic, if you add anything get some nice grips and call it good. Buy plenty of good mags and ammo and have fun!!

------------------
DEATH TO THE NEW WORLD ORDER!

·
Registered
203 Posts
What are you wanting it for, target or defense? I carry the aluminum compact, nothing fancy for me, as long as she goes bang and hits true when she's called upon.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I shot a Custom Classic for a long time (well over 5,000rds)and it shot so well that I decided to put up the $$$ for the Super Match...
I haven't given up on my Super Match, yet... 'cause Bella is just so purdy... but my bud has a pre-Series II Classic for sale in his shop an it's lookin' mighty tempting!

I completely enjoyed the Classic, I'm sure you will too! GO FOR IT!!!

If you don't decide on the Classic... would ya consider a Super Match?

------------------
"run like hell...you'll just die tired."

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think the Kimber Custom Classic is a freakin' great gun. Honestly I've not seen another gun in any display case gives you that much gun for the money, although Charles Daly comes real close. My Custom Classic is by far my favorite pistol. I was advised against dishing out the extra dough on anything from the Cusom Shop and and I've been quite happy with that decision.

Regards,

Warm Bore

------------------
"Molon Labe, and you can have the bullets first!!!"

·
3,007 Posts
I like the Custom Classic and The Custom Classic Target (or whatever they are calling them) in either blue or stainless. GREAT GUNS

I have one blued with carbon steel frame, 1 all stainless, and one blued with the "surprise" blackened stainless frame. Not a problem outta any of them.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Get a custom classic and shoot the heck out of it.

Maybe a new set of grips if you don't like the rubber. Do yourself a favor and get hogues instead of the rosewood $40 offer they give you with the gun.

You may want to upgrade the sites at some point. Heinie straight 8's get my vote.

The custom shop guns are nice, but the stuff you get on them is not the right stuff IMO. For instance, the night sites are still the Mccormicks, the wood grips aren't as nice as aftermarket, checkering is OK but not great, and the basic gun is still the same.

The classic is still your best value.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
I have always thought the entry level Custom Classic and Classic Stainless, blue & SS respectively, were the best models put out by Kimber with respect to bang for the buck. I have a CS and a CST, both fine pistols. See no point in buying the expensive custom shop models.

------------------
John

"And by the way, Mr. Speaker, The Second Amendment is not for killing ducks and leaving Huey and Dewey and Louie without an aunt and uncle. It is for hunting politicians like (in) Grozney and in 1776, when they take your independence away".
Robert K. Dornen, U.S. Congressman. 1995

·
Registered
188 Posts
I would only consider going with the baseline models at this stage in your 1911 life. Kimbers (baseline models) are an exceptional value for the money.
mark

1 - 13 of 13 Posts