1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about getting into IDPA. I need new leather for my 1911 anyway, so I want to get whatever is best suited to IDPA style shooting. Whats legal, whats not, according to IDPA rules? Most important, which style is everyone using? Thanks

·
Registered
850 Posts
I highly recommend the Kydex products from Blade-Tech.com

You will want a holster that is concealable, comfortable, accessible, durable, covers the trigger guard fully, is tension adjustable and is quick. All of these requirements are satisfied by the Blade-Tech standard High rise, forward cant model.

I don't recall the model name, but you'll find it on their web sight.

Don't forget Mag pouches. For IDPA I would get a Double Mag pouch. Blade Tech has them as well.

For belts, they cary the very versatile and stable Wilderness "Instructors Belt" which is "Bullet Proof" and provides a very stable platform for mounting the Holster and Mag Pouch.

Over the past 20 or so years, I carried and competed wearing leather products from Sparks, Davis, and Galco. The advantages of the Kydex products I think are superior for all of the above listed criteria. Plus, they will last forever.

If you want the feel and warmth of leather, I would look at the products from Milt Sparks Leather, Davis leather and the Wilson Combat offerings.

------------------
ACK

"Make the First Shot Count"!

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Holy holsters Batman, thats a heck of a list! Thanks CarKnocker. I printed it out, so now all I have to do is choose a rig and check it against the list.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Regarding IDPA shooting, the holster is required to be worn behind the 50% line (effectively this is the seam on most slacks and jeans). The trigger must be enclosed, and the slide assembly must be enclosed up to the front edge of the ejection port. It does not have to be an IWB.
blatantly ripped from the IDPA website:
"ALL retention features of the holster MUST be used. All holsters must fully cover the trigger when the pistol is holstered. The front of holsters for autos may be cut no lower than ¼" below the ejection port. Revolver holsters may be cut no lower than half way down the cylinder. Holster and pouches must be worn on a belt that passes through regular pants loops. The holster must position the pistol so the center of the trigger pad is behind the centerline of the body from a side view and all magazines and magazine carriers for pistols must be positioned behind the centerline. Revolver ammunition carriers may be worn directly in front of the holster on the strong side. The seam on the side of a shooter’s pants may or may not indicate where the centerline of a shooter’s body is located. If you can conceal your pistol/holster/ ammunition carriers with a light windbreaker and comfortably draw your pistol while seated in an automobile with bucket seats, your equipment is probably okay. Exception – Police/military officers may use their duty rig, but ALL retention features of the holster MUST be used."

Popular among the IDPA competitors are paddle style kydex holsters. There are many manufacturers, but one of the finer examples is the locking paddle from Comp-Tac. www.comp-tac.com www.idpa.com

[This message has been edited by ~/|ristotle (edited 11-01-2001).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts