1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a new 1911 with a light rail. This gun will only be used in a tactical holster for Swat use.

I have narrowed my choices to the following;

Kimber Desert Warrior-
My concerns with the Kimber would be the durability of some of their parts. The Kimber also has a smooth front strap. $1050.00 + 150.00 upgrades=$1200.00

Springfield TRP Operator-
The Springfield has all of the options that I would add to a 1911. So there are no upgrades that I see needed. My only concern is the durability of the adjustable sights on a combat pistol. $1250.00

S&W 1911 w/ light rail-
I own a S&W 1911SC and I am very happy with it. The new S&W with the light rail is a basic pistol with no night sights and no ambi safety. If I go with the S&W it will cost $750.00 + 150.00 upgrades= $900.00

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry for the double tap on the mouse causing a double post.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I've been very happy with my TRP Operator. Aside from the sharpness of the edges, the sights haven't been a problem. I'm not a fan of adjustable sights on a duty gun, but these have been knocked around quite a bit and don't seem any worse for the wear. I've carried it on duty for about a year now and it's been a great gun.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have the TRP Operator and a STI Trojan with a Dawson light rail on it. I have to say the TRP Operator is awsome due the verstility of the rail and it has a bull barrel. It is a sharp shooter and the adjustable sights are fairly well protected with how they are sunk in the slide.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Have you thought about the STI Tactical? It's a little higher priced but you have the double stack option. They also make a single stack railed gun. I like the Operator and the Kimber Warrior. In regard to the Kimber's, I've heard good things about the Warrior due to the internal extractor. I have personally had great luck with my STI and Kimber TLE II so not complaints here. I guess it's up to what you want to spend.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Springer Pro w/ light rail. Lifetime warranty and you'll never need to add/modify.

·
Registered
128 Posts
CoCOP

S&W 1911 w/ light rail-
I own a S&W 1911SC and I am very happy with it. The new S&W with the light rail is a basic pistol with no night sights and no ambi safety. If I go with the S&W it will cost $750.00 + 150.00 upgrades= $900.00

Any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

Which S& W has a light rail???

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
Another vote for the Springfield Pro with the light rail. No MIM parts and the frontstrap will be checkered. It will be more than the ones you mention and you will have to wait some though.

·
Registered
902 Posts
The S&W 1911 pistols have shown to be great weapons as you already know. $900 is rather inexpensive for something you already trust and know. If I had the choice, the SA Pro with light rail would be my first pick too but you're looking at $2300 there, $1200 for an TRP Operator and $1029 for a Kimber Warrior. The STI is hovering around $1900.00. That being said, I'd go with what you feel most comfortable with, especially if you don't have any departmental restrictions.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all of the help. I placed my order today and it should arrive in 30 days.

I ordered an S&W 1911 with light rail. All stainless steel with ambi safety.

The following helped with my decision:
I own an S&W 1911 and I trust their product.
The price was $725.00. L.E. price
All stainless steel. (I like blue & stainless, I am not a fan of baked on finishes.)

I will post photos when it arrives.

Milkbone:
S&W has made a light rail gun for a limited number of SWAT Teams around the Country. The pistol is currently available in limited numbers from L.E. Distributors on special order only.

·
Registered
128 Posts
CoCop said:
Thanks for all of the help. I placed my order today and it should arrive in 30 days.

I ordered an S&W 1911 with light rail. All stainless steel with ambi safety.

The following helped with my decision:
I own an S&W 1911 and I trust their product.
The price was $725.00. L.E. price
All stainless steel. (I like blue & stainless, I am not a fan of baked on finishes.)

I will post photos when it arrives.

Milkbone:
S&W has made a light rail gun for a limited number of SWAT Teams around the Country. The pistol is currently available in limited numbers from L.E. Distributors on special order only.

CoCop...do you have any pics of this gun, what model is it...I have been wanting s&w to make 1 of these since I first shot the Scandium...I would like some info. on it if you could, I am a LEO, S&W armorer and firearms instructor and I have a few contacts w/LE distributors, so I would love to try and get my hands on one....Ive been looking for a 5" w/ rail but I am hesitant cuz I really want a S&W.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
The two rail guns I have are the TRP Op and the Kimber TLE/RL. Out of the box as is I'd go with the Kimber due to it's more robust fixed night sights. Both pistols perform every task I ask of them and I do think think the TRP Op is a nicer pistol by degrees, but in order to use it for what you ask I'd want to change the rear sights and install a single sided safety.

I think both of those items are more likely to suffer from impacts which I would guess to be more prevalent with an open carry duty gun. JM2c and I wouldn't feel ill prepared with either pistol.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Hard to beat the Smith for price; however, I was not too happy with their recall work on mine. Kimber offers a lot for the buck, but I settled on a stainless with rail (non-catalog item) Wilson and it's been in my duty holster for almost two years now. Suggestion: buy the holster for the pistol with light attached and save some money by not getting just the pistol / rail combo first.

mefly2

·
Registered
24 Posts
i use a colt 1991 with a surefire rail adapter and a surefire nitrolon pistol light,the rail adapter can be taken off without permanant mod to the pistol and safariland makes a 6280 for this combo.it works for me.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I own a kimber tle Rl2 (same as used by LA swat) im very happy with for durablity and use....however before u use it on duty i would suggest 500 to 750 rounds of ball ammuntion to break the gun in....expect alotta jams but after its brokin in its a very nice gun and virtually no jams...

i own a SA operator also but mine is the higher version i have full length light rails and its handfitted u notice taking it apart that the gun has numbers written on the parts...same problem though you need 500 to 750 rounds to break it in..has adjustible sights that can be a problem if u hit them just right and cause them to move...however the sights are nice because you get to adjust them to yourself not the factory... however while i was breaking in the gun i did notice that this one had less jams....but i have 2000 rounds or about threw both guns and i have had a few more jams with this one, however this gun has a thicker barrel looks cool..where has the kimber has a thinner barrel

http://www.springfield-armory.com/images/pistols/PC9105LLarge.jpg

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'd go with the Kimber Warrior over the Springfield MC Operator (Kimber has better QC with their in-house produced internal parts and I think Springfield have outside vendors supply their internals). The new SW1911 rail gun looks interesting (alloy frame and good internals also)...

·
Registered
759 Posts
deltaopwong said:
I'd go with the Kimber Warrior over the Springfield MC Operator (Kimber has better QC with their in-house produced internal parts and I think Springfield have outside vendors supply their internals). The new SW1911 rail gun looks interesting (alloy frame and good internals also)...
...a first - that Kimber has better QC than anyone!
:biglaugh:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts