1911Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Blue!!!! If you use Red, you will risk stripping the set screw if you ever need to remove it again. Heat will soften Red, but with a small screw like that, you really don't have a lot of leverage on the small screw head to break it free, even if the Loctite has been softened by heat.

[This message has been edited by shane45-1911 (edited 09-07-2001).]

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Originally posted by hhsmiley:
Good question. I was just about to ask the exact same thing!
I could really mess with you, and tell YOU to use RED Loctite.....but that would be TOO funny.
(IMHO)

So I guess I'll stick with my original answer that I gave Tim.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I agree,blue(or 242 I believe),is the only one to use unless you're locking down a problematic comp.Red will come off without heat,but it needs to be fasteners larger than roughly 3/8" diameter.I haven't used the green,but heard it's good.It is self wicking,so after the item has been adjusted or set,the green will wick into the threads to lock it.It is minimal strength however.

·
Registered
248 Posts
For what it is worth in the event you can't find the correct lock tite you can use some of your wife's or girlfriend's clear nail polish. I use it on my set screws and scope mounts and have not lost anything yet. I like low tech solutions.

[This message has been edited by Greg Adams (edited 09-07-2001).]

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The nail polish sounds interesting. I'm wondering though if it would hold up to cleaning solvents as well as Loctite. I sure don't plan on adjusting the sight too often, and I don't want to keep having to apply it after each cleaning.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Tim C

As for the nail polish I have used it on all my sight set screws and have not had one loosen up. The nail polish is easy to break loose when you need to change something. I use Hoppe's #9 and Shooters Choice as cleaning solvents.

As for coming loose, the only time I have seen it come loose on scope bases and rings was on a 416 Rigby. Just used a little more.

The Rigby recoils a little more that a 45.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
oldcolt,could be.I don't have a breakdown handy.There might be 2 greens though like the 2 reds?I know there is a low strength,self wicking though.I'll post the strengths when I find my info.Brownells carrys most of the Locktites,but I think not all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.