1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Blue!!!! If you use Red, you will risk stripping the set screw if you ever need to remove it again. Heat will soften Red, but with a small screw like that, you really don't have a lot of leverage on the small screw head to break it free, even if the Loctite has been softened by heat.

[This message has been edited by shane45-1911 (edited 09-07-2001).]

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Originally posted by hhsmiley:
Good question. I was just about to ask the exact same thing!
I could really mess with you, and tell YOU to use RED Loctite.....but that would be TOO funny.
(IMHO)

So I guess I'll stick with my original answer that I gave Tim.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I agree,blue(or 242 I believe),is the only one to use unless you're locking down a problematic comp.Red will come off without heat,but it needs to be fasteners larger than roughly 3/8" diameter.I haven't used the green,but heard it's good.It is self wicking,so after the item has been adjusted or set,the green will wick into the threads to lock it.It is minimal strength however.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Rex,
I believe that green is the maximum strength loctite. (blue, red, then green)
I hear it takes about 500 degrees of heat to soften the green loctite (now thats strong stuff.

------------------

·
Registered
248 Posts
For what it is worth in the event you can't find the correct lock tite you can use some of your wife's or girlfriend's clear nail polish. I use it on my set screws and scope mounts and have not lost anything yet. I like low tech solutions.

[This message has been edited by Greg Adams (edited 09-07-2001).]

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The nail polish sounds interesting. I'm wondering though if it would hold up to cleaning solvents as well as Loctite. I sure don't plan on adjusting the sight too often, and I don't want to keep having to apply it after each cleaning.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Tim C

As for the nail polish I have used it on all my sight set screws and have not had one loosen up. The nail polish is easy to break loose when you need to change something. I use Hoppe's #9 and Shooters Choice as cleaning solvents.

As for coming loose, the only time I have seen it come loose on scope bases and rings was on a 416 Rigby. Just used a little more.

The Rigby recoils a little more that a 45.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
oldcolt,could be.I don't have a breakdown handy.There might be 2 greens though like the 2 reds?I know there is a low strength,self wicking though.I'll post the strengths when I find my info.Brownells carrys most of the Locktites,but I think not all.

P

·
0 Posts
Brownell's also carries one From loctite called
BLACK MAX, which is the strongest.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Just looked up info on loctite thread locker needed for side plate screw on one of my revolvers. Here's the loctite web site with info on small screws use.
www.loctite.com/selector/product.html?answer=11211

You can also get more general info from the site.

------------------
There are 1911's and those that wish they were

·
Registered
119 Posts
For small screws, Loctite 222 is probably the best choice, it is purple in color. If you cannot find that, then the blue 242 is the next best choice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts