1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm think of adding a .45 1911 to my CCW and I'd like to see if 8 rd magazines are worth using. To date I've had no issues with 7 rd Check Mates----are the 8 rounders as well behaved?

·
Registered
11,634 Posts
I'm think of adding a .45 1911 to my CCW and I'd like to see if 8 rd magazines are worth using. To date I've had no issues with 7 rd Check Mates----are the 8 rounders as well behaved?
While some of the standard length 8 rounders work fine, if I wanted 8 rounders these days, I'd choose one with a longer tube length. Some examples would be the Wilson ETM, McCormick RPM, Tripp, or CheckMate Extended tube mags.

In general, I like CheckMate's mags, but their non-extended tube 8 rounders are the only mags, out of my eclectic collection of 1911 mags that I wouldn't buy again.

Wilson ETM https://shopwilsoncombat.com/45-ACP/products/378/

McCormick RPM https://www.cmcproducts.com/Railed-Power-Mag-RPM_c_52.html

Tripp http://www.trippresearchinc.com/8r-45-rg/

CheckMate https://www.topgunsupply.com/check-mate-.45acp-8rd-ss-hybrid-full-size-1911-magazine-cm45-8-s-rb-ext.html

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Tripp Cobramags and Wilson ETM HD/+P

·
Registered
495 Posts
Yep, add me to the Happy Tripp Cobra Camp. I use them in my USPSA single stack gun. Dropping them on the ground (dirt, grass, concrete). Never skip a beat. Easy to pop apart for a quick cleaning too.

·
Super Moderator
14,053 Posts
I have several of the Wilson 500 HD/+P mags for .45 ACP, had them since they first came out, used the heck out of them in training classes, and have yet to wear out even a spring. They have the flat wire magazine spring, and it is imperative to follow the "break-in" on it by loading and leaving for a week, but the results are pretty darn amazing for reliability and longevity in my experience.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Wilson ETM's. And if you feel like spending the money for the heavy duty flat wire springs, I'd do that. If not, I'd get the regular ones and upgrade the springs to flat wires when it's time.

If you really need a second choice, I would go with Tripp Cobra Mags but only for 45acp. If it were for 9mm I would go with Wilson. Period.

But with any 1911, I always suggest buying a single mag first and making sure it runs with both your target ammo and your hollow points. If all goes well, buy as many as you need. Some 1911's can be finicky.

Also note that a while back Wilson Combat bought Chip McCormick. So I gotta believe CMC mags are pretty good but I don't have any direct experience with them.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
My 5" 1911 will function with flush CMC power mags and any extended mag. But my commander length 1911 does not like the flush 8 round power mags.

I don't see a reason for me to buy the fancy Wilson 8 rounders when more affordable magazines work just as well. Even being dropped during competition all my mags have worked.

·
Registered
11,634 Posts
My 5" 1911 will function with flush CMC power mags and any extended mag. But my commander length 1911 does not like the flush 8 round power mags.
Just for clarity, McCormick doesn't make a flush fit "PowerMag". The "Shooting Star" and "Match Grade" models are available as flush fit mags, but all the PowerMag models have an extended tube (not a lot) and a bumper pad.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I like the extended 8rd tubes.
For 45 I use: Tripp, CMC PM/PM+/RPM, WC ETM.

Most respect for CMC PM series as bang for the buck workhorses.
I have a dinged up (dropped on gravel) old set that just go & go & go. I'd probably do RPM if I was buying a new set. I doubt WC has plans to change that design anytime soon.

·
Registered
11,634 Posts
I like the extended 8rd tubes.
For 45 I use: Tripp, CMC PM/PM+/RPM, WC ETM.
Also for clarity, while the McCormick PowerMag is not a flush fit mag, I'd not consider it an "extended tube" in relation to what most consider an extend tube mag these days.

The CMC PowerMag and Wilson 47D mags are longer than an 8 round CMC Shooting Star that is a flush fit mag, but both the PowerMag and 47D are shorter than "true" extended tube mags such as Tripp Cobra Mags, Wilson ETM, and CMC RPM mags. These new generation of extended tube mags were designed as 8 rounders and not merely 7 rounders modified to hold 8 rounds.

·
Super Moderator
21,985 Posts
I've never used anything but 8-rounders, for two-plus decades.
Unless there's something wrong with the gun or the ammo, quality 8-rounders should work.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts