1911Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have had great success with Mec Gar 8rd mags in my gun. No issues in 8 or 9 years with multiple magazines from them. But, that is my gun, things may be different for you. Not downing Chip, Wilson or Tripp either.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm think of adding a .45 1911 to my CCW and I'd like to see if 8 rd magazines are worth using. To date I've had no issues with 7 rd Check Mates----are the 8 rounders as well behaved?
I tend to use Chips for almost all purposes - but I'm only a daily carry / b-o-b shooter now and my competitive and military shooting is far in the past. Throughout it all, though, zero issues with Chips. I do rotate mags, and replace mag springs when I detect wear. The personal experience trust factor is all I can claim with CMC. As always, YMMV. All in all, I think there's lots of good product out there.

The only general exception I have to the above is that is my sometimes carry - a pretty, and old, Detonics MKII that the previous owner put a non-Pach MSH with one piece magwell on. With that, rather than way-expensive factory originals which would need a base pad, I use Wilson 47 Sentinels. And I've had nothing but super luck with them. I just don't have much experience with Wilson full size mags. (Yes, I know, Chip has something like this, just started with the Sentinels...)

On the topic of MecGar, all my wide bodies (Para, Springer and RIA) have Para (made by M-G) or M-G marked 14 rounders in them. All have worked well for me - but I do not carry the big guys. (Smile)

~

In addition to recommendations above, there's some rumor (means I have not personally seen a government purchase order to confirm) that FBI HRT's Springer Op Rails are going to government users with Metalform 8 rounders now. That's the Metalform Elite 45.747H blackened stainless. And sorry, also don't know whether SA is shipping "civilian" CRG with the Elites, but I'd suspect they still come with the regular ss mags. My CRG, manufactured last year, came with the ss. I recently put a couple Metalforms on order, but have no experience to report. My point is that those shooters are heavily using those guns and mags - maybe they'd be good for carry.

If someone who can speak to that authoritatively is willing to go on the record, I, for one, would like to hear more about it. Think we'd all like to have the very best and reliable components for carry purposes.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
What about OEM Colt magazines? I understand they've gone to eight rounders. Any good? I don't know if they are Metalform or Checkmate these days, or if they are extended tube

·
Registered
60 Posts
I bought a bunch of Metal Form when Midway was selling them for around $14.00. Both 9mm and .45ACP. Used in Ruger, Springfield Armory and RIA.
All have performed to perfection.

I'll admit I've not been into 1911s very long and use mine for range guns but I can't understand $40.00 magazines and yes I have a couple.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Tripp Research. Carried for on and off duty in all my 1911s exclusively.

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
An old thread that needs updated. I have had good luck w/ Wilson, Nighthawk, Chip McCormick, and Baer. Not so much so far w/ Tripp.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Good thread, I have the same questions as the OP. Picked up my first 1911 last weekend, Springfield Defender Mil Spec. A no frills gun for sure but I just want it to be reliable and accurate.

·
Registered
99 Posts
For me there is only one mag and that is Mec-Gar and the place to buy them is Greg Cote LLC. I use them in my 1911s, CZs, Sigs,, both 45ACP and 9MM. They have always been trouble free and are reasonably priced. Once you use Mec-Gars you can forget about wilsons, Tripp, McCormick and all the rest.
Just sayin'

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
I gave not had any problems with my Wilsons or Nighthawks.

·
Registered
6,683 Posts
Wilson 47D. Never had any issue in my SA mil-spec.
So, I recommend you look at the Wilson line.

·
Registered
296 Posts
From my past research I've been lead to believe that Checkmate makes 8 round mags for Sig, Ruger, Kimber, Colt(?) and others. My Ruger branded Checkmate mags are the ones I always end up grabbing for the range and carry but my Chip McCormick 8 round flush mags have been flawless except with some hollow points in the 45s. The only mags I have that I consider junk mags for the 1911s are the promag 10 round I bought during the scare and the ACT mag my Fusion CCO came with. All my others are perfect in execution.

·
Banned
85 Posts
Opinions vary. Ive used ACT, mec gar, and tripp with good results. Chip Mc gets good reviews but i like stiffer springs than they run. I use act for training but not for carry. Tripp and mec gar for carry and i like the trip 10rnders best of the big sticks.

But for an 8rnd carry/duty mag, imo there is no question: The wilson/vicker’s duty mags with steel base plates are king. Everything else is a distant second to this magazine.

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/1911-ETM-V-Vickers-Duty-Magazine-45-ACP-Full-Size-8-Round-Steel-Base-Pad/productinfo/800/

I'm think of adding a .45 1911 to my CCW and I'd like to see if 8 rd magazines are worth using. To date I've had no issues with 7 rd Check Mates----are the 8 rounders as well behaved?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've been using my CM Shooting Star 8 round mags for a few years regularly through several different guns and they've never had a hiccup other than the spring wearing out. I bought the mags in 2014 and have used them steadily since only replacing the springs once with some Wolff +5% power springs.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts