1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a 1911 in january and plan to spend between $500-$900. I want a full size (5") and probably a dark finish (black or blued, but possibly silver). I've narrowed it down so far to a S&W 1911, Kimber Custom or TLE II, Springfield A-1, or Dan Wesson. Which model sounds most like it fits my needs, I'd like it to come with low mount 3 dot or night sights, extended beavertail, good trigger, pretty much set up good and smooth out of the box with a nice finish, especially if it's blued. Also any pictures of your Dan Wessons would help me out too.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm was debating the same question, but I've been lurking on these boards for awhile now and I've come to the conclusion that if you want a 5" 1911 in that price range the Patriot is by far the best bet. Look on these boards and you'll notice great stories of customer service with few if any bad stories. Have their actually been any bad stories? But I've yet to see such unanimous praise of any gun on any forum. Now I just have to get one of my own.

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
astro:

Since you are asking on the DW forum, don't be surprised that I am going to say go with a Dan Wesson Patriot.
And as Mcnutt says, check out the past threads here concerning DW and their service and product.
The Patriot does not come with night sights, however, talk with them and I am sure that can be worked out.
My Patriot has been great with over 1800 rounds through it now.
Have you been to the website? www.danwessonfirearms.com

All the best,

Art

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have a patriot, Stainless with adjustable sights. It's available with fixed sights for, I think, about $40 less.

Mine was $679 from www.sportingarms.com. I had a few small complaints with mine, but they were minor and were resolved promptly by Dan Wesson (Hammer strut was too short, and the pin for the rear sight broke). Also, the front sight was loose at first. I removed and replaced it using black loctite, and 2000 rounds later I have had no more problems.

The trigger was crisp right from the box, no creep and the pull is right at 4lbs. It's very accurate, with my personal best 25 yard group right at 1.8" (from a rest, not offhand). The slide to frame fit was good, and the action is smoother than my other .45's (two kimbers, a custom Norinco, and an STI). Barrel was fit properly. I have had precisely ONE jam in over 2K rounds.

Two of my best friends had me pick out patriots from the same dealer for them. One of them was from the same lot (judging by the serial #) as mine, and was comparable in all respects. The other was several months later, and was better than mine in several respects. The fit of the major components was better, the trigger was as good or better, and the grips seemed much nicer. I take this as a sign that as the production progressed, they continued to improve their product.

In spite of my minor problems, I'd buy another Dan Wesson without hesitation. I think the Patriot is one of the best values around.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wish there was a dealer close to me (columbus, OH) that carried/stocked Dan Wessons so I could check them out to be certain. Anyone have any info about their company, like who makes their frames/parts, or anything else? Are they more of a custom gun compared to others priced about the same? I appreciate everyones opinions/info.

·
Banned
597 Posts
I'd suggest the Dave Pruitt model. I have been looking very hard at one for myself.

·
Premium Member
6,693 Posts
The Patriot is a fine weapon, but I sure wish i could buy a Dave Pruitt model.

Bob

·
Registered
42 Posts
Astrohell, I live in akron, a little less than 2 hrs from you, if you want to stop by up here, we can go to the range and you can shoot my patriot to see what u think. I already know that once you see how well they shoot, your mind will be made up. IM on AIM as fjf444, if you want to chat sometime.

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
astrohell85

I am in St. Clairsville, about 2 hours east on I-70 from you. My dealer has a couple DW's in stock. I will find out what he has and post it here.

Art

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
astrohell85

My dealer Allen at Shooters in St. Clairsville has DWs in stock:

RazorBack 10mm

Patriot Expert PTE-S (stainless, Ajust sights) .45

PM9-S 9mm (stainless, Ajust sights)

You can email him at: [email protected]

Art

also, stock picture of the expert:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll try and get to Shooters soon, definitely before I make a decision. I'm pretty set on the PTM-B though, anyone have an idea of the price on one? I also posted a question towards DanWesson_Rep on another post regarding the problems with too high/loose front sights. I want to make sure any problems are handled before I get the gun. Thanks for the info.

Steve

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
If you really want a nice handgun.....get the Patriot with fixed sights. If you want a pistol that comes with a firing pin safety....go with the SW1911 (of the pistols your are considering).

Regards,
Sam

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Are most parts interchangable with the DW's? Also, who makes their fixed sights (are they adjustable for windage)? I think I'm pretty set on the DW PTM-B, the S&W being my 2nd choice. Does anyone have either alumagrips or rubber w/finger groove grips on their Dan Wesson/S&W (you should post a pic). I think regardless whichever I buy, I'd like to get a set of each, especially with the hogue's being pretty cheap, and the alumagrips I'd like to get something custom engraved.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts