1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Kimber Gang,

I need your opinions. I just put out one of my gun (a stainless NRM Colt 1991) into consignment, and expecting a fair return from its sale soon.

From the proceeds of the sale, I'd like to try a " Kimber Brand " of 1911. I've been looking at the " Custom II ", " TLE II ", or " Stainless II ".

Of these three Kimber models, which would you think will give the biggest bang for the dollar in terms of fit & finish, features, pride of ownership, accuracy, and reliability combined.

The new purchase will be used mostly for: informal range shooting and the more serious duty of home & personal defense. I do hope to be satisfied with the Kimber brand. Any other model you may suggest will be most welcome.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Ive got the TLE II and love it. Fantastic shooter, and great value with the front strap checkering and the night sights. Here is a pic of mine,

I added the grips later, the stock grips are a black rubber grip (which is a good grip I just like the look of these better).

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
All three are fundamentally the same pistol. There are only slight changes. The TLE changes only by adding front strap checkering and night sights. These are helpful additions that are cheaper to buy upfront rather than deciding later you want to add them. The stainless ...is stainless. Different appearance and a different wear in some climates.

Same pistol. How to decide? Your own personal taste matters the most.

You will enjoy the pistol, regardless of which one you choose. Mine has been great right out of the box. Hope yours is as well.

·
Premium Member
3,668 Posts
I'm partial to the TLE since I have one and enjoy the night sights and front strap checkering.

So here's another vote for the TLE. Mine was flawless out of the box and continues to be 100% reliable. Regardless of which version you'll eventually decide upon, you'll be very satisfied.

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
The real and the honest answer is whichever one fits what you need and want.

Price wise, the "options" that come on some over the base Custom will price out competitively and are a good value if you want or need those extras. The guns them selves as far as function, internals etc., are really the same.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I had a NRM Blue Commander that I put on consignment. I bought a Custom II and could not be happier. It has become the only 1911 I take and shoot. So much so, I put my Custom Essex/Colt up for sale on Sunday. I never shot it.

I like the idea of a Colt, but I really like this Kimber.:rock:

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Just brought my new Kimber Custom TLE II home tonight. I've had my dealer trying to get one for me for several months, but they have all been allocated. Could have had a Custom II a couple of hundred dollars cheaper, and several months sooner, but I specifically wanted the night sights and the front strap checkering, so I held out. I've had nothing but positive experience with an alloy frame Kimber Compact CDP II from their custom shop, so I expect good things from this steel frame Kimber. Probably the best value in their line.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gang,

I appreciate all your responses. So far, the TLE is the predominant suggestion.

The Kimbers just seems to reek of quality in comparison to the other main brands. If my prospective buy treats me well, my plan will be to totally jump into the Kimber camp and buy more.

Please, continue sending in your suggestions, and thanks a lot:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts