1911Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the 1911 platform. Have owned Berretta, Sig and Glock handguns. Purchased a Kimber Custom CDP, shoots well and so far seems to be holding up well. I would really like to get a semi custom but cannot figure out which one I want. So far I like the RRA basic limited match, Wilson Protector Stainless and Ed Brown Kobra. The RRA appears to be slightly less money, however, I have read some negatives about the super tight barrell bushing. I haven't heard much at all regarding the Ed Brown Kobra. Only negative on the Wilson is the Armor Tuff finish, however, their service seems to get a lot of praise. I wanted to get any feedback regarding comparisons anyone might have with these 3. Also, any feedback on customer service with Ed Brown or RRA. I will be throwning down a lot of hard earned cash for one and trying to get the little wifey to go along with this.
I just want to make the most informed decision I can.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Hi Pistolero,
I have a RRA Basic Limited Match. It is bar none the best pistol that I own. I also posted about the tight barrel bushing. That is NOT a negative comment. The tight bushing is the key to a accurate 1911. The only negative thing that I can say about the RR is the long wait. I waited 8 1/2 months. You will have to wait 10-12 months, but it is very worth the wait. The pistol is that good.

Take Care
Kenneth

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kenneth,

Thanks for the response. I am starting to lean towards an RRA. If they are really as good as I have been hearing and I suspect they are, I cannot see paying 300-400 more for the Wilson or Ed Brown. Like I said I am new to the 1911 platform and was not aware that a large key to the guns accuracy was a tight barrell bushing. By the way is it really so tight a plastic bushing wrench wont budge it? Also, Have you had or heard of any experience dealing with RRA after the fact for some service issue?

Thanks a bunch

·
Registered
429 Posts
Hi Pistolero,
I received my pistol from RRA last week. It had a small blemish in the blueing that was overlooked. I didn't even notice it myself until I took the pistol into the sunlight. I called RR and told them abou the blemish. They said to send the pistol overnight. Why the whole pistol. I decided to hard chrome the lower. chuck at RR is doing the hard chrome at cost. They even picked up shipping on both ends. That to me is great cusomer service. When the pistol comes back to Chuck, he will give the gun a complete going over before it comes back to me. It will be like getting a whole new pistol. Yes, I broke a plastic wrench with the bushing,but I'll be ready for it when it returns.

Take Care
Kenneth

[This message has been edited by usncorpsman1 (edited 10-25-2001).]

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'll put in a good word for the Ed Brown Kobra. The workmanship on this pistol is outstanding. The frame to slide fit is perfect out of the box with no need for break in. All the parts are Ed Brown Hardcore and hand fitted. The snake scale tratment on the MSH and front strap offer unbeatable traction. And the Ed Brown grip safety positions your hand about .25 inch or more higher up than other pistols, giving a better hand position for stability and recoil management. Another advantage I've noticed with the Brown grip safety, is that I've never failed to disengage the safety when securing my shooting grip on the pistol, a problem I've had with my Baer and Kimber pistols. You will be hard pressed to find any adverse comments about Brown pistols. However, they are expensive.

------------------
Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. Churchill

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I can't say enough good things about Wilson guns and service. I have several of them and they are all fantastic.

I have two Ed Browns now. The fit and finish on these is spectacular. Even though I have had some problems with the Class A Limited that I just got, I just got a new Class A Limited Commander Bob Tail. I hope to fire both of these guns today if the weather holds. I am confident that if I still have feed problems with the Government model that Ed will do whatever it takes to make it perfect.

I have dealt with Ed Brown for several years and have several of his rifles and now two of his .45's. He makes a real custom pistol, one at a time, and I think that they are more than worth the price.

My advice is to get a Wilson or Brown, shoot it for the year that it takes to get the RRA, and then have two nice pistols.

G

·
Let me join the chorus on the Brown 45's. I'm not criticizing Wilson products, I own three of them. But the Ed Brown Classic Custom I own is the best built pistol I've seen. It puzzles me when I hear people refer to Brown pistols as "semi-custom." There isn't anything "semi" about a Brown pistol.

If you want a 45 that is accurate, reliable, very well made, comes with plenty of goodies (bag, bore brush, etc.), and excellent follow-up service, then get a Wilson.

If you want a gun that comes with everything but the added goodies and looks like each piece was custom made just for that gun (and darn near everything on the Brown is), get a Brown.

Dennis D. Carter

·
Registered
215 Posts
I own a Wilson Protector, Springfield Loaded model, and a Colt that has been to Wilson and had every part replaced but the slide and frame. I also use to own a Kimber. The Wilson is an excellent gun and they do excellent work. This being said, I also have a Rock River Limited Match on order and can't wait to get it. My friend has been up there and talked to the people there personaly and couldn't stop raving about their pistols. I also own a few of Rock River's AR-15's. They are very excellent rifles. I recently got a chance to personally see a Rock River 1911 and know I won't be disappointed when I finally get mine. I think the Rock River is closer in feel to a custom gun than a semi custom like the Wilson. You can't really go wrong wither either one, but the Rock River is slightly cheaper and they do have some excellent products. Customer service experiences/post sales experiences that I've had with both companies have also been top notch. Why not get the Wilson now, and order the Rock River now also. That way you'll have the Wilson to hold you over for a year, plus then you'll also have a year to spread the payments of the Rock River 1911.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
The Wilson gun, and their service record stand on it's own. Will RRA be here down the road????

------------------
DEATH TO THE NEW WORLD ORDER!

IF IT'S NOT A COLT, IT'S JUST A COMPROMISE!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Hi UdontnoMe,
No one knew if Wilson's would stand the test of time and they did. RRA has been around for a few years now. They put out a fine product and currently have 10-12 months on a waiting list. People are buying the guns and as long as there is someone buying a product, someone will be there to sell it. Don't write them off so easy.

Take Care
USNCORPSMAN

·
Registered
670 Posts
Pistolero, I'm going with a Rock River Arms Elite Commando, 5"bb. The money I saved by not buying a Wilson or Brown (both very good pistols) helped buy my Kahr K-9 Elite. 81 days and a wake up. Sam

·
Registered
180 Posts
Pistolero,

I have to agree with most of the post here, I too have a RRA on order, due to ship August 2002. Do I like the wait? No, Am I willing to wait? Yes. I have seen one example of their work and examples of the other pistols listed here. In my opinion, the RRA is by far the best buy for the money. I have never heard on bad thing listed about RRA. As far as the comments if RRA will be here down the road, you are buying a 1911 style pistol. If they do move on, there are any number of 'smiths out there that will be able to service the pistol.

After I receive the RRA Standard Match in 2002, I am going to put an Elite Commando on order. I look for the RRA prices to go up, because they seem to be swamped with orders. I talked to Gay at the shop and they build them one at a time. I ahve talked to numerous suppliers and shops around the country and they have said by far the RRA is the best for the money. I hope this helps.

77Bronc

1 - 12 of 12 Posts