1911Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Resolved:Which pistol for IDPA

I'm planning on getting into IDPA, and may shoot my first match this weekend. I have several pistols to choose from. While I am aware IDPA is not "training" per se, I plan on using it to help me plan and work on carry scenarios. So, my question is--should I shoot my actual carry pistol, a Kimber Ultra CDP (aluminum frame 3"), or my ProCarry SLE (full stainless frame 4") or my husband's SA Black Stainless 5"? I know the advavtages to the 5", but I'm not planning on competing with others--only self. So should I shoot my carry pistol, or one of the others?

· Super Moderator
13,633 Posts
I understand your desire to shoot what you carry. But if you're just starting out, you might want to shoot a full size pistol, it's easier to manipulate and hit with. Once you've become more proficient with performing in front of a crowd, acclimated to match procedures, etc. feel free to switch to your carry pistol.
Good luck.

· Registered
23,958 Posts
I agree with Ricky, you need to make it easy on yourself starting out.
I think I would recommend the ProCarry 4". It will buck a bit more than a 5" but it is YOURS, not hubby's, and that will be a psychological boost. If you handload, use the lightest load that is reliable and makes 165 power factor. Save the dinky light 3" for a while. Shoot some practice with it to stay familiarized, though.

I disagree with the "I'm not planning on competing with others--only self." stance. I understand where it comes from, you apparently consider IDPA to be practice in defensive shooting and gunhandling skills, not a sport. But self-evaluation does not really work.

IDPA matches are emergent events. The courses of fire (CoF) are unique to the occasion (Except for the Classifier, which hardly anybody enjoys or shoots very often.) and the only way to measure your progress is by comparison with others. You do not have a scorebook on a standardized CoF to refer to; you have to look at your standings.

At any match big enough to print a program, I always go back and make notes about my performance and problem areas. This is good in setting up practice, but the warm fuzzy from a smooth pass or the @#$%&* of an awkward run may not be right. At the Nationals, I called 10 of the 16 stages pretty close. That is, my evaluation agreed with my placement on those individual stages and at, above, or below my overall match standing as I thought likely. The other six were pretty wild. On two, I placed substantially better than I thought I had. The other four had felt smooth and had few points down, but were really rather slow on time, leading to a low net score. At the Tennessee State, I felt really sloppy, getting more penalty points than any two previous matches this year. But I won my class.

Of course this applies only after you have gotten past the beginner's nerves, learned the procedures, and quit missing targets and collecting wholesale Procedural Error penalties. You can certainly see for yourself about those.

At any rate, glad to have you aboard. Hope you have a good time.

· Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I appreciate the replies so far. I don't mind shooting the 5" hubby pistol other than it is new to the family.:D

The reason I don't want to get into the competitive spirit much these days, is I AM competitive by nature and that has caused me some problems in the past. Plus, as a mom of 2 little ones, I just don't have a lot of free time in a new town (don't know any sitters I'd trust) to go shoot. So I will not get many chances to improve against others--esp if I am constantly comparing my performance against those who are much better equipped, practiced and skilled. I'll just get depressed! For example, I doubt I will ever be able to afford to send either of us to a shooting school--even the locally taught stuff here in Dallas is expensive to us, let alone a big name school like Gunsight or Thunder Ranch...!

· Registered
2,691 Posts
Shoot the one you fell most comfortable with. While I feel you will most likey do the best with either the SA 5in or the Kimber ProCarry. The manual of arms is basically the same for each of them you have mentioned, so skills practiced will transfer to all.

Have fun, that's most important.

· Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
K1500 said:
Shoot your carry gun. It's the gun you carry, and if you shoot it with your carry holster and mag pouch, you will be getting good practice with the rig you use every day.
Don't think I can use my summer carry holster. I kinda doubt Smartcarry is IDPA approved! And since my Tucker paddle can adjust for forward muzzle cant, it's outlawed too. At least as I read the rules. So...it's a cheapo Fobus fixed paddle for IDPA I guess.

· Registered
367 Posts
I kinda like the people who spout, "shoot what you carry". None of my carry rigs have ever been IDPA legal and I'm not changing how I've carried for the last 7 years to fall in place with IDPA straight edge group.

· Registered
1,216 Posts
Well then, I’m glad you ‘kinda like me’. The people who spout ‘shoot what you carry’ generally do carry with IDPA legal gear (by choice or coincidence). No one asked you to change your gear, no one asked vic303 to change her gear, and she never mentioned her carry rigs were not on the approved list. Many folks feel it is a good idea to shoot what you carry to increase your familiarity and muscle memory with your carry rig. Of course, any trigger time is better than no trigger time, and if you have to shoot something else, that's fine too.

As a side note vic303, you could probably shoot with the Tucker holster without any trouble. I’ve never seen a club level match where someone was turned away for a practical holster that is not in the book. IIRC, the rule book also mentions that women are to be given ‘ahem’ special consideration with regards to holster choice since it is typically harder to find a holster that fits and works. Regardless of what you choose, go have fun.

· Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
K, if I get a chance to do IDPA this weekend, I WILL have fun! :) We do have a Fobus paddle I could use, and I might see if they will take the Tucker even if it isn't on the list. I just haven't decided which pistol to take (maybe all 4??:D ) and which day to go shoot. IDPA is only on Sunday at BAckwoods TRaps.

--Vic

· Registered
23,958 Posts
vic303 said:
I might see if they will take the Tucker even if it isn't on the list.
--Vic
Don't ask.
Strap it on and go.
Just set the adjustable cant to vertical or FBI and leave it.
K1500 is right, I have NEVER had my holster checked against the List, and I have shot at all seven Nationals and numerous State and Regionals. All the SO will inspect for AT MOST is carry location and concealment. And a beginner will get a lot of slack and assistance.

Go shooting, you ain't gonna learn any younger.

· Registered
268 Posts
Thoughts on your question

Jim Watson had great advise there is not much more that I could add, go to learn, enjoy & be safe. You might possibly do better with the 5", but don't use the match as a 1st time try out for it. His advise on 'only shooting against yourself' is correct. You will notice how you did as compared to others.
Enjoy your self !!

· Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Shot my first IDPA club match

Ok so I went out in the cold, wind & rain today to shoot my first IDPA match. First off, I had fun. Second, I had good RO's & SO's. Third, despite finishing last by a little, I did better than I had expected. Did I mention I had fun?:D

Seriously, it was a hoot, and everyone was really nice to me. Maybe it was because I was the only woman shooting...?;) Nah, they're just a nice bunch of guys!

Oh, and I shot the ProCarry. Only one malf, and that was probably due to shooter, rather than pistol or ammo. Guess I'll have to join IDPA now.

Thanks to all who helped out with the club match for CCIDPA,a nd the good folks at Backwoods Traps.

· Registered
812 Posts
Vic303, By now you've, no doubt, discovered that there are diametrically opposed views of IDPA and what it means to its members. I take the opposite view of folks like Jim Watson and disagree with his suggestions for you. It is possible to self-evaluate ones progress in IDPA matches and also possible to compete with yourself and not other shooters. I've shot my carry pistol (a Para Ord LDA) from day one and have enjoyed self-evaluating my progress in both speed and accuracy. Yes, I move up gradually in the rankings, but what's more important is my progress vs. myself. I also shoot a classifier occasionally so that I can measure the improvement on a standardized COF. I shoot only about once a month and an occasional practice session (also shuffle time with Cowboy Action Shooting) so, competing with serious, frequent shooters, isn't practical for me. My enjoyment is in the shooting itself and the improvement which comes from the continued practic with my carry pistol. So, having said all that, and basesd upon your comments, I'd recommend you start right out with the pistol you plan to carry for personal defense the most. It's fun to take a different gun occasionally but concentrate on the gun that will most likely save your hide if it becomes necessary someday. Most of all, have fun.

· Registered
23,958 Posts
Glad to have you aboard, Ms Vic.

Our club shoot Saturday had two women and a girl.
One of our guy's daughter (12 next week!) took an interest, and there she was with a lime green kydex rig and a Ladysmith. She is impeccably safe, unfailingly polite, and helpful on the range. A pretty good shot and getting better.
A real lesson to the grownups.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.