1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a Polymer semi-auto 45 with a rail and would like some opinions from people here who know more than me which is just about everyone. I'd like to keep the price under $600 but mainly I'm looking for a very reliable home self defense pistol. A pistol that I could count on going bang every time the trigger is squeezed. I'd appreciate all opinions.

Ron

·
Registered
651 Posts
All of my pistols are made of steel but if I was ever to purchase a polymer frame pistol it would be an HK - I think they produce a high quality product, they are reliable (judging by my own experience). I also like the polymer guns Sig Sauer makes. I've shot many of those as well and I thought they were very reliable and accurate.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I own nine plastic pistols.

Two Ruger MK III 22/45 models.
Glock 19
Glock 36
Springfield XD 9 Tactical
Springfield XD 9 Service
Springfield XD 40 Service V10
Springfield XDSC 40
Springfield XD 45 Service

I can get Glock pistols for at least $100 cheaper than the XD pistols. That being said you may notice a pattern there.

·
Registered
331 Posts
My first choice for a polymer frame 45 would be the HK45C or the USP 45C. I have both and both are reliable, accurate pistols with (depending on the variant you choose) very similar controls to a 1911.

But given the budget you stated I would recommend the M&P 45 full size or midsize frame. I think the new M&Ps are probably some of the best values going in modern handguns, with great reliability and good ergonomics.

Lastly I would recommend a Glock 21 SF. A lot of people still find these a little too large or blocky for their tastes, though. They do have quite a reputation for reliability, and are accurate enough for most shooters. I would recommend staying away from the models with the ambi-mag release due to a lack of reliable function (I handled one that took both thumbs to depress).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I'm looking to buy a Polymer semi-auto 45 with a rail and would like some opinions from people here who know more than me which is just about everyone. I'd like to keep the price under $600 but mainly I'm looking for a very reliable home self defense pistol. A pistol that I could count on going bang every time the trigger is squeezed. I'd appreciate all opinions.

Ron
A used Heckler & Koch USP 45 will be perfect for your requirements. It also happens to be about the finest and most robust polymer-framed 45 caliber semiauto you can buy. It can even sustainably fire 45 Super with no modifications whatsoever. Overbuilt like a tank, and more reliable than a Toyota. . . awesome pistol. I know of a guy who ran his over 100k rounds without any failures before even replacing his recoil spring (not that you should). HIGHLY recommended!

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
i sold my g21sf for the mp45c. the glock was a good gun, but the m&p fit my small hands so much better. i shoot tighter groups with the m&p and it feeds everything, including some corbon 165grn +p seirra jhp's i tried.

here it is:

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
If the Glock 21 fits your hand, it is as reliable pistol as ever came along. (THeM&P45, of which i own the full size, is also awesome for 10+1 capacity in a slim feeling pistol)

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Figure out what type of safety, action, etc you want first. Me, that would take me to the Glock, XD or M&P. Then see which fits your hand and which feels right to you.

I like all of them. To me, though, Glocks just work. The M&P is good to. I really like the XD, but with the high hold I am used to using, and the way the slide stop sticks out more than the Glock, I tend to keep it from locking back when empty.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had a Glock, I now have an XD40sc that I love, my brothers XD40 4" is a great pistol in every way, but I think because I owned an M&P9c for a while and really liked it my poly .45 choice is going to be the M&P.

·
Registered
201 Posts
the m&p is a great choice. I think they're in the same leauge as the XD some five years ago when it was trying to compete with glock. The m&p is a very nice gun but also do consider the XD and the glock for the plastics. You can afford all of these new for $600. HK and sig are more expensive and out of your budget....but great guns too. Kind of comes down to what feels good in your hands and what you shoot best..

·
Registered
14,940 Posts
I've always wondered about the efficiency of threads like this. You get eleventy-zillion posts, with eleventy-zillion different recommendations, so how is the OP any more informed than prior to the question? :)

I own two G21s. Have put tens of thousands of rounds through them. I like the low bore axis and simplicity of Glocks. Get an XD, get ready to spend $150 for a trigger job. Get a Glock, get ready to spend $10 for a drop-in connector for a trigger job.

Glocks are so simple that even gun store clerks can be trained to be Certified Glock Armorers in one day. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I've been very pleased with my M&P 9. Accurate and reliable.

Would like one in .45 someday.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Taursus' 24/7 or 24/7OSS are also good options. I have shot both and they are reliable and affordable.

·
Registered
438 Posts
The FNP-45 is a great option. The grip is large so make sure you fondle, er uh, handle one first. Even better if you can shoot it as that would probably convince you that you are holder an outstanding firearm.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Take a look at the M&P .45, it comes in full-size, mid-size, or compact. I got the mid-size because it balances nicely in your hand, and seems to fit in many of the 9/40 holsters, yet still carries the same 10rd capacity as the full-size model.

To me, the M&P strikes a nice balance between the Glocks and the H&K's of the world. Glocks are reliable, but I like the design of the M&P's better, and they have proven to be equally reliable (now that they are past their "new-model-teething" issues, which Glocks had as well when they were new). The M&P's have better factory sights IMHO, absorb recoil better, have better grips ergonomics, and usually seem to be more accurate than Glocks in head-to-head tests (although Glocks are perfectly accurate for "combat accuracy"). The M&P's don't have a great factory trigger, but then, what plastic pistol does? The thing about the M&P trigger that most owners seem to agree on is, like a 1911, the trigger can be EXCELLENT with some trigger work. Besides, I have trigger jobs done on virtually every stock pistol I buy, so the added expense doesn't bother me, I expect it with every pistol. Above all, I love the M&P's grip angle: with the slim grip installed, it feels closest to a 1911 of any plastic pistol I've tried.

Compared to the new H&K 45's, the M&P's are probably slightly less accurate, and probably will not run as long between parts maintenance (you will likely have to change things like springs, slide release, etc., more often on the M&P). However, note that the H&K 45's are nearly twice the price of an M&P, and are not US-made, their mags cost twice as much, they have far lower availability of parts (although one could argue, with an H&K, you don't NEED parts as often), plus H&K has a reputation for arrogant, LOUSY customer service. This may have changed recently, but I've seen no proof of that.

To me, while the M&P is not perfect, it currently gives you the best balance among the available "reliable" 45 pistols out there, and gives a good "1911-like" shooting feel. Plus S&W has some of the best customer service in the industry.

·
Registered
627 Posts
There's quite a few to choose from that are close to 100% reliable.

Glock has the torture tests you all read about that a couple other polymers match in. I doubt you haven't shot a glock since everyone and their mother has. So won't go into much there.

XD45 passes the torture tests just as well as the glock and carry some extra safety features. I personally bought the XD because of the added safety features that virtually disappear when you are actually holding the gun. I would suggest you try one of these at the range since most ranges have them, if you have not already that is.

P345. Owned one that I gave to my dad. The extra safety features can be a positive or negative depending on how comfortable with firearms you are. I used this to break me into CC as it is loaded out the butt with safety features. With probably 5k rounds never had one problem. *I take that back I had 1 FTRB when I went on a 750 round range session without cleaning. The weight is sort of off with a normal grip, but if you have a high grip it is less noticeable.

Those are for the ones I have owned. Out of those I would suggest the XD45. I liked the little added safety and adding it barely gets in the way compared to a glock (trigger, breakdown, cleaning etc).

I am have been interested in the sigs for a while and since we have a police trade-in dump close by I can find them much cheaper then most places. They seem well built, fit pretty good in the hand. The only thing that I would like to change is the trigger some. The DA seems a little sloppy and a little heavy for my taste. The SA is pretty good. I am really interested in the DAK which I have not been able to shoot yet, but the reduction and slop is taken in on dry firing one.

I have never really had an interest in the M&P so never really researched much.

I think it would be a toss up between glock and XD if you are trying to stay within your price range. Go to a local range and shoot both. I would choose the XD. Besides all glocks just go KABOOM right:eek:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts