1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has come to a time in my life that I feel that I need to purchase a reloading press, I am tired of looking for the best reasonable prices for ammo,
I will be mostly reloading
45 acp
38 special
357 magnum
and 303 british
and mabey 30-06
So I would like to get a press that over time I can buy the dies, and keep going
A friend of mine has had a Lee press, and he has used it well over the years, That is his recomendation for me
It's one of the auto presses,
I am aware that there are many brands, and to be frank, Just too many for me to look at and make an educated decision without me going a little bonkers with all the specs.
I would it to be easy to use and service, Parts should be easy to find,
And do press makers have a good customer support?
Thank you all now for the good information!!!
Peter.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Dillon 550. Dillon's CS is second to none.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
If you can't make a decision on the specs, what do you want to make a decision on?

Ease of use?
Cost of caliber conversions?
Total cost of press and any accessories?
Rounds per hour you can load?

Lee is going to be the least expensive. You can get a pretty nice set up for well under $300. Some people have no trouble using them and others curse them.

Dillon is going to be the most expensive. You're going to pretty much start around $300, but may want to budget closer to a grand or more for the "perfect" set-up.

All the others fall somewhere in between, maybe a little closer to the Dillon then Lee in terms of price.

One big thing to consider. If you already have a friend that has a Lee press, it may be worthwhile to consider getting the same press. If you run into any problems, he may be able to help you troubleshoot them. Depending on how good a friend he is, maybe he'll even let you borrow some of his dies and stuff, until you decide on everything you will need.

·
Super Moderator
7,787 Posts
Single stage. Redding.

Progressive. Dillon 550.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Dillon

Dillon 550 buy the best. to many of my Friends told me I love my first xxxbrand press but now I only use my Dillon. Why waste money? After years away from reloading I bought a Dillon 550. No regrets. And I don't have a brand xxxx sitting at the end of my bench lonely and unused.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
I might be a bit premature with this, but maybe it would be easier if we could just get a stickied thread called - "Don't ask again, just buy a Dillon". :rolleyes:

·
Registered
14,937 Posts
IF you ever try to load 30-06 on a Lee progressive, you'll find out what all the cursing is about! Get the Dillon 550. If you know for sure that you're going to be doing a lot of reloading, get the Dillon 650, with casefeeder, if you can afford it.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Dillon makes great progressive presses, But I still would rather start out with a RCBS ROCK CHUCKER single stage. I am pretty sure RCBS offers a kit that has everything you need except dies.
Both are quality products, backed by companies with the best customer service.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Its a matter of personal taste really but ....I just ordered me an RCBS Rockchucker Supreme, its a single stage kit, that can be converted to a progressive. I will be loading for accuracy so I dont mind going slow. But your requirements may be different...My kit was $262.94 after a $20 coupon from Cabelas.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Unless you are loading truely massive amounts of each caliber, I would recommend the Lee Classic Turret press. You can get set up for around $150 and easily produce 100-150 rounds an hour. Easy to change calibers by replacing the turrets with dies adjusted and in place.

·
Registered
243 Posts
+1 for Dillon. Best customer service of any company in any industry. If you have an issue, they take care of you. I load on a 550 & a 1050.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I don't know what the mabey 30-06 is - but the Dillon 550 or 650 will do all of the other calibers you list. I'd recommend the Dillon equipment and their customer service team / they're very easy to deal with and I know a number of guys that have had no trouble at all with Dillon equipment.

·
Registered
922 Posts
stevekozak said:
Unless you are loading truely massive amounts of each caliber, I would recommend the Lee Classic Turret press. You can get set up for around $150 and easily produce 100-150 rounds an hour. Easy to change calibers by replacing the turrets with dies adjusted and in place.
I agree with the Classic Lee Turret. Dillon makes a great product but be ready to pay more. If you shoot once to twice a week, the Lee will serve you well. If you shoot more than that, look into the Dillon.

I've loaded all the rounds you mention on the Classic Lee Turret, including the 30.06 rifle rounds.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
I vote for a Rock Chucker Supreme in single stage.. If your looking to load a lot of ammo go with a progressive!!! Lee would be my pick. If you got a lot of money to spend they say you cant go wrong with a Dillon!

·
Premium Member
5,968 Posts
1Blue said:
I agree with the Classic Lee Turret. Dillon makes a great product but be ready to pay more. If you shoot once to twice a week, the Lee will serve you well. If you shoot more than that, look into the Dillon.

I've loaded all the rounds you mention on the Classic Lee Turret, including the 30.06 rifle rounds.
I like the turret myself. I have two Lee 1000's (for handguns) and a turret for my rifle stuff.

Note: I started with a lee "Classic" single stage, everything needed to load for I think about $25. (I am dating myself here a bit...) I still use it for precision loads. Wonderful set up. Loaded thousands of .45 ACP rounds on it before going to the 1000.

·
Registered
346 Posts
rock chucker

the cheapest single stage press you can buy, you will move up to a dillion and this one will sit, but a dillion is too complicated for a first press

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Theres nothing wrong with progressive or turret presses....but a single stage can do things the others cant.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Dillon 550 is the best choice. You can get a cheaper price, but why skimp on a tool that will last you a lifetime? For rifle rounds I also use a Rock Chucker single stage for resizing only. The prepared cases then go through the 550.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts