1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a week of looking at the options and hashing over all the informative recommendations from you members , I have decided I'll probably go with a Hornady LNL AP . Cabelas has them for $399.99 with free shipping and a 1000 lswc bullet rebate , but you have to pay shipping on them . Any last arguments or forever hold your peace ? Thanks , Mike

·
Premium Member
3,784 Posts
My tongue is stained Dillon Kool-aid blue, but the Hornady looks like a good unit.

If the L&L had been on the market about 10 years ago when I was in the market for a progressive, I would probably have gone that route instead.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
I've had both a Hornady LNL progressive and a Dillon 650. It is a tough call, but I think if I were to need a high output press again I would go with the red one...

·
Super Moderator
7,807 Posts
Report back in 6 months.

Nothing but Dillon and Redding presses on my bench. Cry once and get the good stuff. Life is too short to fight a reloading press at every turn.

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
The LNL is a great press. I have several, with no problems from any of them. They had some teething issues at the very begining, but the current priming and cartridge ejection are first rate. THe powder measure is simply the best and most accurate. Caliber change over is as easy as it gets. And the people at Hornady are first rate. The case feeder is easy to set up and adjust too.

You wont be sorry!

Plus, 1000 free bullets doesnt hurt!

·
Registered
588 Posts
I'm sure the Hornday is a fine press as they make nothing but quality products. However, I have two Dillon 550s one of which I have owned since the mid 80s. I think it would be hard to beat a Dillon.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
My press is as red as my politics.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Either Dillon 650 or Hornady LNL AP. No good reason to buy a 550.

Mine is an LNL AP, and it is excellent. If I buy another press it will be a 1050.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Dillon 650 and don't look back. You'll never regret it! And if per chance you ever decide to stop reloading (for what reason I can't imagine) you won't lose a dime on your Dillon gear. Can't say that about all reloading equipment.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Have a Lock N Load that I purchased earlier this year. A few teething issues (lots of stuff to tweak and adjust) but has been a solid reloading machine for my .40 S&W, .45 ACP, .223/5.56. The thousand free bullets are pretty darned hard to beat as well.

I have had to get a couple of replacement parts from them and both occasions they shipped the same day.

Good product support/good product.:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Lnl

I've been using the Hornady progressive presses for about 22 years now. The new EZject finally is a mature product and I have loaded lots and lots of ammo. Good buy with the prices back down and the free bullets

G

·
I have both. IMHO Hornady is offering free bullets for a reason. Keep in mind that no one gives anything away. You either pay up front or suffer quality wise. I know many that have owned the Hornady that have sold it for indexing problems. Hornady has very small indexing balls to move the shell plate into the final position. Dillon indexing is by far superior. Automatic case feeders are easy to add with Dillon and and not so with the Hornady. Converting with Dillon will cost more than Hornady. Buy once, cry once. Buy a 650 and never look back.

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
I've got a Dillon 650 set up for .45 ACP. I've loaded probably 80K on it.

With preloaded primer tubes, I loaded 500 last night in about 50 minutes.

Reloading is not my hobby, shooting is. Dillon lets me reload with the least amount of hassle.

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
I have both. IMHO Hornady is offering free bullets for a reason. Keep in mind that no one gives anything away. You either pay up front or suffer quality wise. I know many that have owned the Hornady that have sold it for indexing problems. Hornady has very small indexing balls to move the shell plate into the final position. Dillon indexing is by far superior. Automatic case feeders are easy to add with Dillon and and not so with the Hornady. Converting with Dillon will cost more than Hornady. Buy once, cry once. Buy a 650 and never look back.
I would respectfully disagree with this. Indexing has never been a problem with any of my LNLs. Case feeding was easy and quick to add and adjust. I also believe the Hornady powder drop is the best.

In comparing the 650 and the LNL, I dont think there is any really great difference in performance. Subtle features and differences are what convinced me to go with red over blue. And the new red is improved over the old red.

However, this is only my opinion, which is worth exactly nothing.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
peppilepew said:
I have both. IMHO Hornady is offering free bullets for a reason. Keep in mind that no one gives anything away. You either pay up front or suffer quality wise. I know many that have owned the Hornady that have sold it for indexing problems. Hornady has very small indexing balls to move the shell plate into the final position...
You "know many"? I've not even heard of one, until now. Perhaps you know many who couldn't read in the manual how to adjust the pawls?

peppilepew said:
Dillon indexing is by far superior...
Except when the indexing rings break, which they do, and that the shell plate movements are larger and more jerky, which they are. You might add that Dillon indexing excels at powder spilling. It is not even superior, let alone "far superior"

peppilepew said:
Automatic case feeders are easy to add with Dillon and and not so with the Hornady...
I don't see what this refers to, unless you had one of the original LnL APs, for which the case feeder came out later and was a retrofit. For the later presses, you just bolt the thing on and attach the feeding components. But I have not attached a 650 with a case feed. Do you just take it out of the box, place it on the bench, and the case feeder leaps into place and attaches itself while mixing you a drink? Because that would be a clear advantage.

peppilepew said:
Converting with Dillon will cost more than Hornady. Buy once, cry once. Buy a 650 and never look back.
The price difference between the 2 is not much, when you buy case feeder for both. There is no great price advantage to the LNL AP. For that matter, I like features of each more than the other. I don't think it is an obvious choice, though 550 vs LnL AP is a slam dunk for Hornady.

But the 1050....oh, mama. That is soooooo nice.

G

·
You "know many"? I've not even heard of one, until now. Perhaps you know many who couldn't read in the manual how to adjust the pawls?

Except when the indexing rings break, which they do, and that the shell plate movements are larger and more jerky, which they are. You might add that Dillon indexing excels at powder spilling. It is not even superior, let alone "far superior"

I don't see what this refers to, unless you had one of the original LnL APs, for which the case feeder came out later and was a retrofit. For the later presses, you just bolt the thing on and attach the feeding components. But I have not attached a 650 with a case feed. Do you just take it out of the box, place it on the bench, and the case feeder leaps into place and attaches itself while mixing you a drink? Because that would be a clear advantage. People are so emotional about objects. It is just a press so why get so upset?

The price difference between the 2 is not much, when you buy case feeder for both. There is no great price advantage to the LNL AP. For that matter, I like features of each more than the other. I don't think it is an obvious choice, though 550 vs LnL AP is a slam dunk for Hornady.

But the 1050....oh, mama. That is soooooo nice.
I know of at least 5 people with indexing problems. One ia a brand new LNL progressive. I have one that has indexing problems. I replaced the pawls and it happened again. A local gun store owner had one that he sold because of the same indexing problems. Another two at my club have the same problems. Hornady is okay for someone that is looking for an inexpensive entry level progressive. That is if you get a good one. I have a 1050 that easily cranks 1K an hour. I am not comparing a 1050 to a LNL. You can't! I can compare a 650 as I know 2 people that own one. Buy once, cry once. A 650 is a snap to add a case feeder too. What do you drink? I don't know about the hornady. I am keeping my Hornady for 44 and 38/357 only. 1050 conversions are expensive so I will make do with the problems. I just complete the rotation by hand, thats all.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Indexing has never been a problem with any of my LNLs
I concur. I have a Projector and a Pro7 (the Projector predecessor, which I upgraded to Projector configuration) that have loaded ten of thousands of rounds each, and indexing has been bullet proof. I adjusted the Pro7 indexing when I first bought it (it was used), but I've never touched the pawls on the Projector. Unless Hornady re-designed indexing for the LNL, I can't see it ever being a problem.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts