1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I am considering buying a range rifle just to target shoot with. I really am open to any suggestions, im not really worried about the price... just try to keep it under $1500, I would like a semi-auto but it has to be long range and accurate. I honestly thought about a garand, but realized eh... its old and might be hard to use for the long run, and im not a huge fan of the m14 style guns, so please all you veteran shooters enlighten this young gun.

·
Registered
409 Posts
LR Rifle

Well you gotta look at what you want in the gun. A bolt gun is gonna be more accurate but have a slower rate of fire. Semi-auto is gonna be fast, less accurate and look a little different. You might want to read the thread on 1000yd rifles on this board. If it were me, go ahead and drop some money and do it right. RPA Quad or Stolle Panda (I prefer the Panda). Nice Krieger barrel or another reputable maker and have a good smith put it all together in a McMillian stock...or if you have connections a Gamboa would be ideal. But that rifle is gonna run way more than the 1500 you want to stay at.

·
Banned
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well see here's the deal, i have always shot semi-auto, and have always been very accurate, and the deal is that I like to have fun too... not just "Bang, click slide Bang". I thought about an AR i know a guy that has a pre-ban from the 60's and hasn't brought it out in 15 years, only put about 150 rds through it. I can get it for about $1250. So I thought about it.

·
Banned
975 Posts
a good average bolt gun will outshoot a fully match prepped garand( my match grade garand is the funnest rifle i own, so dont think im trashing them) . you need to determine exactly what level of accuracy you expect, and at what distance, before a good suggestion can be made.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Find you an FN Browning in 7MM Rem. Mag. You will have one of the finest crafted rifles ever made in one of the most accurate rounds. At the low end a Luepold VIII scope. You will be able to hit and kill most anything out to 500 yards without difficulty and depending on your skill much futher.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Caspian17 said:
Alright I am considering buying a range rifle just to target shoot with. I really am open to any suggestions, im not really worried about the price... just try to keep it under $1500, I would like a semi-auto but it has to be long range and accurate. I honestly thought about a garand, but realized eh... its old and might be hard to use for the long run, and im not a huge fan of the m14 style guns, so please all you veteran shooters enlighten this young gun.
Caspian17,

I too recommend an AR type as their pretty accurate and cost is reasonable cuz of the ammo used. This is assuming you just target practicing only. For $1500 bucks you can get one easy.

rimfire,22

·
Banned
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats all I need

I was thinking about an AR type, but everyone and their brother has one. Any make some that everyone doesn't have?

·
Banned
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dubb, what kind would you recommend for an AR please feel free and tell me what you think I would need, because I honestly have no clue. Any kind of models you all think would be fine would definently be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
449 Posts
Caspian17 said:
Dubb, what kind would you recommend for an AR please feel free and tell me what you think I would need, because I honestly have no clue. Any kind of models you all think would be fine would definently be appreciated. Thanks
You'll want a freefloat tube, a match trigger (stock AR triggers are an insult) and a 1:7'ish twist barrel.

·
Banned
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
what I am seeing is that Rock River Arms makes a nice set, but they have the national match a2-a4 could I get the national match with the adjustable stock, I find them more comfortable.

·
Banned
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ugh I custom build... me scared never done before... what would you say I need, brand etc etc how much is involved in getting it built that sorta thing >.<

·
Banned
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks like something that I don't really want. Its too big for me to actually use for plinking. I want something that I will still be able to have fun with. Not have to carry on my back ^^ I have fired a FAL before but it just wasn't very comfy for me.

·
Banned
976 Posts
Plasma rifle in 40 watt range.

Sorry, I borrowed that from the original Terminator. I'd get the Ed Brown bolt gun or the McMillan bolt, both in .308.

cliff

1 - 20 of 35 Posts