1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which sights are correct for the SW1911? I'd like to replace the sights on my E-series 5" stainless model. I am not sure what the ordering specs are for the base. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Measure your current cuts, then call Heine CS to see if their sights are the right ones.
While you're at it, ask them if they will mount the new sights for you. Please let us know how it turns out. The E series is new and there aren't a lot of sight options out there. Having said that I do like the 10-8 U notch rear and FO front combo. Just don't have confidence in doing the work myself.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Meprolight makes a set of night sights specifically for the SW cut. 10-8 performance offers a serrated u-notch plain black rear with a fiber optic front in different widths for SW 1911s as well. Personally, I really like the 10-8 sights and installed them myself on my SW1911Sc with a green fiber optic. Very nice sight picture and great POA/POI......my hack job installation....not so much.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Thanks Dameon. Great news about the 10-8 sights. Are there any special tools needed for a self install other than a vise and files/stones? I have some nylon and some brass punches. Do instructions come with the 10-8? What width notch did you choose?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I used a universal sight pusher I got off eBay, a file, and the rods from my sharpmaker. The rear sight only comes in one notch width (.140) but the fronts come in .125, .115, and .110. The .125 is standard but the .115 also work really well if you want more precision. I tried both and stuck with .125.

A note on installation. The rear sight will require a good amount of filing on the side of the dovetail and bottom. That, or the cut on my SW1911 was really tight. The front sight will either require filing the underside of the rear blade or leveling the rear ledge behind the front dovetail cut so that it is level with the front ledge of the slide. On my pistol, the two sides were different heights since factory SW sights start from the dovetail and extend to the muzzle. The 10-8 front sight extends towards the muzzle and the chamber. When installed, the front sight will hangover the slide-top serrations a tiny bit. I installed my front sight by leveling the top of the slide since I planned on bead blasting it in the future anyway.

If you are unsure about how to install the front sight, run a small level across either side of the front dovetail cut after you remove the factory front sight. If both sides are not level, file the underside of the rear blade. Don't do what I did unless you plan on refinishing your slide. The front sight dovetail should only require a few strokes with a file on the bottom of the sight to ensure flatness. After that, it should fit in very snug about 1/3 of the way in the dovetail cut with hand pressure only. The same holds true when fitting the rear sight.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Thanks Dameon. That is very helpful information. I might give it a try.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts