1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to get some snap caps to practice clearing stoppages, question is which kind to get. There are rubber ones, brass ones, ones filled with rubber compounds and ones with springs. Does it make a difference to your gun? Is Armsport brand any good?

·
Registered
967 Posts
I can't speak for all of them, but I can say that Azoom's suck in my 1911's. While super-durable, the aluminum body is too light and will slide forward in the magazine when the top round is pushed forward into the chamber. When I try to eject the magazine, it's jammed in by the forward round and I have to work to get it free. I think if the snap caps weighed more, I wouldn't have this problem, but they don't and I do.

Plus, they are rather dark in color and easily lost in the grass or shadows. I have seen ones that have a standard brass body filled with an orange polymer that forms both a soft primer for the fp to impact and a bulletnose profile for clean feeding. I haven't been able to find them locally, but when I do find them, I'll be sure to get a couple dozen.

The good thing about them is that they are extremely durable. If you don't just lose them, them solid aluminum body will last for several generations. You might have to replace the rubber primer after a few million snaps, but that's easy done.

Those cheap red ones with the springs under the primers tend to fall apart quickly. The Azoom is the most durable I've used.

Let me know what works for you.

------------------
When reason fails...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by VaughnT:
I can't speak for all of them, but I can say that Azoom's suck in my 1911's.
Rats, it's my 1911 I want to practice the most with. I got 2 recommendations for Azooms from the Sig Forum but glad to hear about your experience. I heard somewhere about a brand called S.T. Action Pro, are these the ones that you described:
http://www.staction.com/

·
Registered
548 Posts
While the Azooms are very high quality they are expensive and get lost easily. The ST Action Pro caps are still very durable and you won't lose too many of them because of the orange color.

------------------
Claude
Shooterscoach.com

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
The Armsport eventually crack the plastic and fall apart. Maybe the metal ones with spring inserts would last longer. You definitely want a spring insert to cushion the FP.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
The ones I have were sold under the Pachmyer name in a five pack. They have a brass base and plastic body with a spring inside. I've been using the one since April and it is holding up well. When it finally gives out there are four more to take it's place. Stay safe, Gary

1 - 6 of 6 Posts