1911Forum banner

Which style holster should I be looking for?

755 Views 4 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  tpdtom
I'm a a big guy (okay... a fat guy!) who needs a holster to use in some shooting classes. I plan to take a few classes this coming year, which will require a good holster.

I'm looking for something OWB, comfortable, and easy to draw from during training. I'm sure I'll end up with something from Milt Sparks, Uncle Lou, or someone else who makes high quality leather holsters, but which style of holster would best meet my needs?

If it matters, I'll probably have something made for my USP45 full size, as well as one for a 5 inch 1911, and a 2-mag pouch will be needed for fast mag changes.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
275 Posts
I have a de santis pancake style that was dual retention, I bought it for my 1911, This holster conceals great (holds very tight to body) but the thumb break was very bulky with my pistol (springfield loaded W/ambi safety) and the safety would constantly get knocked off. Since it was a dual retention (with tension screw) I decided to cut off the thumb break. I love it now...

Recently I picked up a Galco pancake style for my CZ 75b no thumb break, trigger guard tension only. It is also great. So for my money look for a pancake style with no thumb break (open top)

BTW I'm a big guy too, and it isn't hard to conceal these big guns if you wear the proper cover garment...

As a guy on another forum has said, "nobody notices another lump on a fat guy"

· Registered
2,935 Posts
Ask your trainer.

Ask your trainer. Ask your school.

Are we talking Modern Technique of the Pistol - Cooper inspired use of the 1911 or something on making best use of a Seecamp? Assuming modern technique of the pistol to go with the pistols you mention then-

Don't remember where I saw this (likely some current post on this board?) so apologies for failure to credit (like to know who said it first, as per Oscar Wilde I expect to say it again myself) - but the difference between Alessi in the Italian shoemaker tradition of fine leather

(I have only 2 Alessi but will have more)

and some others in the western saddlemaker tradition of belting leather (for me the epitome is a Tom Threepersons style from Tio Sam Myres even if he spells it wrong - note that he's left the range)

may be more meaningful in an OWB open carry range and school holster -

Look at the holsters that have been sold with the Gunsite Raven such as the Galco
The Training holster is a unique open top holsters that was originally developed for the Gunsite Training Academy and is ideal for use during any pistol course or on the shooting range.
from the Gunsite Pro Shop. I think of them as more in the saddlemaker tradition than in the Italian shoemaker tradition.

Milt Sparks made some great holsters in the Western tradition - just as he made some great duty gear for Idaho Fish and Game but I don't see much of them in Tony's current catalog.

In sum, despite their quality I'd not wear typical Ferragamo or Bally elk hunting -

· Registered
3,837 Posts
My opinion for somebody unsure and buying their first holster would be to get. . . an OWB holster, probably a pancake style. Get a quality name like Allessi, Rafter S or Milt Sparks. There are others, but you want a good holster. Some Allessi's can be had pretty cheap also.

· Registered
993 Posts
If it's a range holster you're looking for , which can later double as a concealment holster , there are none better than the classic Bruce Nelson holster . This is represented as the DOJ by Lou Alessi, the Bulman SDS by Josh Bulman, and the 55BN by Milt Sparks, . Heinie has their own proprietary version of the Alessi DOJ . Be SURE to marry this holster with a good gunbelt. That is often the difference between good and bad performance.

Many say that a holster with no cant (straight drop) is faster on the draw. I'm so used to a so called FBI cant that I cannot tell the difference , but YMMV. Advice from one of the aforementioned holstermakers is always fruitful...Tom

Heinie DOJ-S

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.