1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a 5" 2001 production 5" 9mm a few weeks ago, and posted it here. Love the gun. Had my smith replace the hammer, found out the 1/2-cock notch was busted. No biggy, but I did get an AD at the range (when pointed down range of course) which led me to take it in for a diagnosis. I guess that also explained the hammer follow.

Anyway, he had a take off TRP hammer laying around, with the 3 notches, and put that in for me to get her running safe, and tweaked the GS and cleaned up the sear surface angle.

So, I am wanting to change the thumb safety to clean up the bit of slop or over travel. I just want to tighten that up a little.

Was wondering what suggestions you guys have for a replacement thumb safety? I hear the originals were copies of Wilson's? Should I go for Wilson? I am looking for the same basic look, don't need an ext., and just single sided.

Here she is with the OEM TS and old hammer.

·
Registered
522 Posts
EGW would be my first choice

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks gents! That Harrison looks pretty nice. He did some nice work on my LB PII, I forgot about the other parts. I need to decide if I want to go $35 or $80.

·
Registered
635 Posts
My wife and I both have Harrison Extreme Service thumb safeties on our 9mm 1911s. It's a huge improvement over the overly-large ambi competition safeties that come on the loaded target models. Looks good also.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
if you want a big paddle, I have had zero issues with my EGW

Springer single side works good too

and for the slim feel, I have always liked the factory Colt (circa late 80s)

·
Registered
613 Posts
My vote is Wilson bulletproof tactical. It is small like the Brown, but made from bar stock, so should last a lifetime. I just sent one along with my 9mm EMP for SACS to fit, along with dropping in a Wilson bulletproof slidestop.

I have the Brown on one gun, Para Black Ops, and had it on previous Springfields with zero issues. If price is an issue, the Brown is about half the price of the Wilson bulletproof.

·
Registered
133 Posts
EGW HD. Hugs the frame and is very comfortable! Looks good too! Wilson Combat 1st photo EGW 2nd.

·
Premium Member
5,733 Posts
Well I guess I'm in good company then, as that's what's on my pistol. I'm just not a big fan of brake peddles or thumb rests.

Must be a hand thing . I'am the opposite on the safety spectrum .
That small gi style does not sit well at all with me . :) Each to
their own . The stock safety tends to be just right on the size chart .

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I would go with the Wilson personally.. There bulletproof parts are about the best you can get..
Nope. AMU and the PWS among other shooting teams have stopped using Wilson and Ed Brown parts due to the lack of quality compared to EGW and Caspian. Look to EGW and Caspian for overall better parts on average. Rock River and Novak also make parts in certain segments that are superior to Wilson/Brown, but you have to know what you are looking at. This holds for today and may not be true tommorow. The miltary shooting teams use what works. Novak's safety is one of the best out there.

·
Premium Member
5,669 Posts
Egw makes nice parts but I don't believe they are better than wilson.. When was last time you seen a broken bulletproof part. I've seen one broken slide stop on here never in person.. There is a reason all the gunsmiths use wilson or Ed brown parts granted many use EGW as well but the quality isn't in question on wilson parts in my eye.. And if it ever breaks they will replace it..

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
We have broken bullet proof parts and my extractor wouldn't maintain tension until I was switched to Caspian. If you are a fan I can't convince you. Military shooting teams use what works and we have dedicated gunsmith and machinist support. The volume is not only in weapons, but also in round count, which is higher than what most get exposed too. Shooting at 50 yards is very different than plinking and carries different requirements in performance.

You are completely wrong on gunsmiths. If you contact the guys who build 1911ss at the top level for precision shooting or the current AMU head gunsmith they not only use a mix of parts, but will also fabricate their own components when needed if what for sale is not up to their standards (Ed Masaki, David Sams, Roddy Toyota, Bob Marvel, etc.). Each Master is different and what they prefer may change which is what I'm trying to convey. Currently Wilson is out favor and so is Ed Brown for various parts.

Each part has to be evaluated individually, something not intuitive to someone not in precision shooting. Not all companies make great parts across the board and some you pay for the name in addition to performance. Caspian, Novak, EGW are terrific options but what is best in their lineup is constantly changing. A Master Gunsmith who supports Master or High Master shooters is going to know what works, and that is a very small population of gunsmiths. I wore out my Ed Brown MSH so I got a Rock River replacement, which is much better, but that's the only part we use from them. Who knows, maybe next year RRA won't be the best. Also when a great part is selected from a vendor a large order is placed and kept on hand from the same lot for consistency.

Wilson is a great pistol and they make in general very good to excellent parts, and they're an absolute safe bet when it comes to the bullet proof lineup, but it would be the amazingly rare company that is the best at everything and especially not in Bullseye where performance is measured.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I think right now, I am considering the EGW and the Harrison Extreme Service. From Harrison's website:

"The blocking lug has an extra fitting pad on the rear of the lug allowing the gunsmith to regulate how far down the thumb safety can swing, which keeps the safety's plate from overhanging the edge of the frame. An industry first!"

I'm going to be using this mostly as a range gun, no competition. Maybe HD, but not CCW. My main concern, besides safety and reliability of course, is to eliminate the over travel.

Who am I kidding, I'll still look at the Wilson...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts