1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this may be a tired topic, but I would really appreciate some feedback.

My FFL is giving me the opportunity to order an XSE GM, Model O1070XSE, for $670 my cost. Or I can order a Colt Cup Blued, Model O5870CS, for $780 my cost. He told me this is $50 above his cost on either pistol.

Are these both Custom Shop pistols?

I really want one that will shoot POA at 25yds out of the box, provided I keep up my end. Am I being realistic?

The only 1911s I own are two Gold Cup MkIV Series 70 NMs. I bought them a LONG time ago. I've have no problems or complaints with them, but the itch to add a new Colt 1911 is bad. Both of these GC S70 NM's are great shooters, but the Elliason rear sight isn't the toughest assembly in my safe.

I know that I am the one who has to decide, but I welcome any input from you more knowledgeable members.

BTW, I did read a lot of past threads and I still can't make up my mind. The GM XSE has both positive and negative feedback. I will use this pistol for duty belt carry and for IPSC/IDPA shooting. Eliason rear sight has never gotten in my way or snagged catastrophically, but I like the Bo-Mar design better. But I don't think the Bo-Mars are available to me in the choices I have now.

Also, I would like to shoot the new purchase for a while before spending a bunch more on mods, if needed. Thanks, and sorry to be so long-winded.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
AllColts

Since you already have two Series 70 Gold Cups I suggest that you get the XSE Govt Model. The reason is, if you get another blued Gold Cup you will have another pistol with the Eliason sights. So unless you get the Stainless Gold Cup Trophy, which comes with Bomar sights, stay with the fixed sight pistol. This way you will have a little extra cash for ammo and the mods that will personalize the pistol into "Yours" and not just a run of the mill pistol.

Now for the question of "Are you being realistic about the pistol shoting to point of aim?" Absolutely, provided you understand how fixed sights are regulated and you know how to aim for impact at 25yds.

Since you are an experienced shooter I'm sure you already understand adjusting aim for distance, so the following is for the benefit of newer shooters.

Colt's fixed sights are regulated for POA=POI at 50 yds. This means at 25 yds you must place the black bullseye on top of the front sight. This is commonly refered to as "Floating the Ball" in Bullseye competition, which uses a 6 inch diameter bullseye on the target. This technique uses the trajectory of the bullet, which is about 3 inches above line of sight at 25 yds, to hit the center of the 6 inch bullseye.

I also agree with you that you should shoot your new pistol before deciding on any modifications or other work. I suggest you give your pistol a break in period of 500 rounds before worrying about how it functions. Just place a drop of good old fashioned gun oil on the frame rails, and the top/front of the ejection port (slide closed) every 150-200 rounds without cleaning your pistol. After 500 rounds clean your pistol and replace the recoil and firing pin springs.

I hope this helps.
Str8_Shot

------------------
Str8_Shot

The best handgun for self defense, is the one you have with you.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Str8_Shot,

Thank you for the helpful reply. Going with your recommendation, I would be taking the plunge into a stainless slide semi-auto. It's funny, all of the semi-auto pistols I shoot to date have carbon steel slides.

How is the workmanship on the XSE? One poster commented that the slide rail edges were so sharp that I would think some buffing/de-horning would be in order.

I also read that Colt has done some mods to their stainless 1911s to reduce galling between slide and frame?

Also, your reminder of "FTB" with Colt fixed sights in 45ACP is most welcome. I haven't seriously shot a fixed sight Colt GM in a long time.

Is anybody out there absolutely thrilled with their XSE GM?

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
If I owned two Gold Cups, I'd probably opt for the XSE. Not a custom shop pistol, but current quality is second to none, possibly better than on your Gold Cups. Although I see no problem with carrying a GC for self defense, I like the lines better on the XSE for concealed carry.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Get the XSE. Like Col132 said, you have two GCs now. If you prefer Bo-Mars, have them added to the XSE in the future. The XSE has the great rollmarks too.

66 Posts
I've never fired any Goldcup made after 1968. However i've heard the lastest are just rerollmarked Government models. And your just paying for the name. Hey this does to you what it does to me. Nothing, our love lies in this company as I can tell from your post. So the choice is yours the Cadillac or with the memory heated leather seats. You make the call man. I will never be turned off from Colt no matter what the world says.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Get the new "Carry Model" Stainless Gold Cup with the BoMars and the Videki trigger out of the Custom Shop and be happy forever more!

As for the Gold Cups being re-rollmarked upgraded Government Models, right now that is pretty close to a complement. The current plain Government Models are pretty darn nice and shoot great - they just lack the Gold Cup's "Custom Shop" deluxe touches. And with an XSE, you could always add BoMars later. Your call, but we have sold several of the new Gold Cups - with nothing but happy customers.

Warmly, Col. Colt

"Beware of Counterfeits & Patent Infringements"

·
Registered
333 Posts
Can you give me the phone number and address of your dealer? $670 seems like a good price for an XSE. Thanks.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey sean,

My FFL told me this is kind of a one time "deal" to get my business now because he can mark up his Colts so much more. I don't know whether this is BS or not. I won't even tell you what price he normally sells the Gold Cups at; you'd hurl. Also, thanks for the feedback that you think I'm getting a good deal.

However, he may change his mind if he knows somebody else is interested in a GM XSE and is a member of this forum. Please post your email and I will talk to you offline. Take care.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hello guys, I am also at a crossroads on Colt. I know they are a mystic manufacturer and all. And there are some available where I live. But is'nt it true that the Gold Cup doesn't have the level of attention to the price of it as they did in 70 series NM? I am going to get either the Colt blue 1991 $500 nib. Or Kimber Classic $620 nib. And send in for extensive custom work. Such as raised night sights. And tunned trigger and, leave the rest to the guns performance on the line. Heck the sights might be all I need. As the trigger will surely prove its worth in the 200 or so fired before any work gets done.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Richie said:
Hello guys, I am also at a crossroads on Colt.

I am going to get either the Colt blue 1991 $500 nib. Or Kimber Classic $620 nib.
Richie, which did you get and what is your level of satisfaction? Some of us (me) may be at the same crossroads right now!

Thanks.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I got a Gold Cup Trophy with the Bomar sights and the quality is , I think , the best that they have to offer other than custom work. Worked right out of the box, no problems what so ever. Later, bought a 1991A1 Commander with the same results. Triggers on both guns are crisp. Got good deals on both and they were new when bought. I can't believe that I got a good deal on the Commander at a gun show. Usually gun shows are higher priced. The Commander was the only gun in the whole show that even interested me. Came back to look at it twice before I bought it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts