·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can get any one of three HiPowers:
1. new
2.mid 80s
3.78 Belgin

I am really looking at the 78 due to the great finish and blueing what do you guys think...the gun is for ccw..I currently use Colt 1911 HK Glock and Sig..but this gun really moves me.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The only "con" I can immediately think of with the '78 would be the small manual safety.

------------------
"An armed society is a polite society"

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
The new one will have better sights, an ambi-safety and the internal firing pin block that acts as a drop-safety. If your purpose is CCW, this one makes a lot of sense.

If you want a gun to customize, send to a great smith like Wickman or Garthwaite, and are prepared to spend the $$$, then I'd get the '78 and add some stuff to make it outstanding.

Either way, you can't go wrong with a Hi Power!

------------------
Byron Simpson

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've owned all of the above and I think the HP Practical is the best I've had. Still has a lousy trigger but is tactically set up much better (sights, safety, etc) I'd still reccomend having it worked on, however. But if you need it to go right now, get the newest one.

------------------

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
I had a 70's manufacture FN (and many years later sold it in a fit of stupidity).

The new MK III's are excellent pistols - but if the 80's pistols are without that accursed firing pin lock I would go with that one .... or get the '78 and have a competent gunsmith add a useful safety and sights.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts