1911Forum banner

Which would you use for squirrel hunting?

1238 Views 13 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  ERdept
.410 or 22mag? Have both and am having trouble deciding which one to take Saturday.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
IMHO, the best squirrel rifle is a PCP airgun. The three I had, Air Arms S400 Classic, Xtra & Carbine, would out shoot any of my .22lr @ 50yds. They had shrouded barrels so were very quiet. Also shooting at elevated targets were no where near as risky with the airgun as with a rimfire.

· Registered
1,072 Posts
williamN said:
IMHO, the best squirrel rifle is a PCP airgun. The three I had, Air Arms S400 Classic, Xtra & Carbine, would out shoot any of my .22lr @ 50yds. They had shrouded barrels so were very quiet. Also shooting at elevated targets were no where near as risky with the airgun as with a rimfire.
Some states, such as Pennsylvania, do not allow the use of air or gas operated rifles and handguns for taking game. I would agree that some of today's air rifles are certainly capable of doing the job though. Some old timers, like myself, have used .22 floberts and .22 CB caps for taking squirrels, the range and velocities are limited but effective at close ranges.

· Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am not sure i want to pack both around threw the woods?That could take the fun out of it after awhile haveing to wrestle two long guns.I may go with the 22mag this time and go .410 next time then see which was better.I just hate eating and bitting down own stray buckshot. :barf:

· Registered
709 Posts
It kind of depends on the situation. Around here I can't imagine using 22 mag on squirrels. But then our squirrels are taken from the trees and not the ground.

Another thing is how many squirrels will you see? If you have a lot of shots, I'd take the .22. If you only may get one or two shots, take the .410 just to make sure you will hit a squirrel.

· Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am not sure how many I'll see never hunted squirrel at this place before, just by walking threw the woods a couple times i should see a few.oh and I forgot to mention the 22mag has no open sights only scoped,3-9 x 40 I think is what it is.

· Banned
978 Posts
I'd use my precharged Logun MKII, in .22.

Amazingly accurate, fully shrouded barrel = no sound. 30 FPE, so no overpenetration. I can shoot it in the city at rats, possum and crows that bother the fruit trees and feeder.

I shoot almost everyday in my backyard and no one is the wiser. Airguns give my my trigger fix when I can't go shooting.

Check out James Kitching's Airgun Forums. Lots of great people there.

Cliff

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.