1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Les Baer TRS
Ed Brown Kobra Carry
Wilson CQB

for everyday carry, im 6'4 and weigh 215 and in casual clothes (t-shirt and either jeans or shorts?) can you carry any of these while wearing casual clothes or will i print?

also can anyone reccomend a good holster? ive heard great things about the Miltsparks VM-2 IWB

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I am 6'1" 225 and sold the 2 CQBs I had, did not like them, and carried a TRS for 3 years. Don't own a Brown though. On my 4th Baer(2nd TRS) and IMHO they make the one of the finest carry 1911s).
Holsters- I use Wild Bills Concealment, Lou Alessi, and Milt Sparks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I havnt heard to much about the kobra carry...

anyone have pics of their gun and holster ON them? i always see these nice holsters on counters:( would like to see how they print if any at all.

as you can see ive never carried before;)

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Nightlife

The brown is an excelent gun. There is a shop near me that stocks them in several variations and they are extremely well built and finely detailed.

The wilsons and Bear TRS are nice guns as well. I am not sure about the cost differences between the three. You can not make a bad choice in that group in my opinion. If it were me I would probably buy the Kobra though because they look like they get a little more attenetion to detail in thier manufacture.

The holster issue will be somewhat a personal preferance thing. Do a search on the holster and accessories boards and you will find a ton of recomendations and pictures. My personal preferance is the Milt Sparks VM2 (versa max 2). Very comfrotrable holster and conceales very well.

Tthese are my opinions and are worth what you paid for them :p There will no doubt be others that reply who disagree)

·
Registered
22,192 Posts
None of the above. They are all good quality guns, but they are all ALL STEEL. They won't print if you pay attention to holster and cover garment, but they will drag your pants down no matter how big you are. The 5" guns will poke seat cushions. Albert must be very determined to wear a full size GM.

My old Commander and SA Ultra Compact LW are not of as nice quality, and required gunsmithing for reliability and trigger pull, but they are easier to carry.

Baer makes some aluminum framed guns and Wilson the KZ plastic in 4" lengths. Check 'em out.

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
I own or have owned all three, there is no comparison...Brown.
Any of them are fine choices, but the EB is head & sholders above the other two in attention to detail and overall quality.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Any of the 3 is an awesome choice! If you forced me to choose, I would go with the Wilson CQB. This is based on my current carry pistol, a Wilson 1996A2. Smooth, reliable and accurate.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Jim, I have been carrying a full size 1911 off and on for 30 years. With a good strong belt there is no problem . Just make sure the holster is a hide-ride and the belt is strong and double thick. I will try to take a pic later. The TRS is just thinner and fits my hand better and I shoot it more accurately.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Addendum&pic.

Kimber full size in a Wild Bill's Concealment Classic Speed Scabbard with matching mag carrier and belt. The combo is 5 years old and worn a lot. Note how high the gun rides on the belt. Very little is below to "poke " when you sit down or shows when a short jacket is worn. The butt is pulled tightly against the body.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Of the three mentioned, I've handled & fired the Baer TRS. Beautiful, accurate gun, but Heaven help you if you need to rack the slide when the gun has less than 500 rounds through it. The barrel-to-bushing fit is excruciatingly tight IMO.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I have several Wilsons and Browns and had a TRS. The Browns seem to be the best overall fit and finish, but the Wilsons just feel and shoot a little better for me. The TRS was ok but had several quality problems and was excessively tight. The barrel bushing was not well fit and really bound up. Baer's response was just keep wrenching it on and off until is wears down. The grip safety was not well fit in the frame, and it chewed up the web of my thumb. I did not have a very good experience dealing with the company when I had to return it for work, and will probably never get another one of his pistols. However, many people really like his guns, so I imagine that they are pretty good overall. My personal experiences with the Browns and Wilsons has been extremely good.

You probably cannot go wrong with any of them, but I would recommend the Brown or Wilson.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
FB3 said:
The TRS was ok but had several quality problems and was excessively tight. The barrel bushing was not well fit and really bound up. Baer's response was just keep wrenching it on and off until is wears down.
Oh, that's rich.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jim Watson said:
None of the above. They are all good quality guns, but they are all ALL STEEL. They won't print if you pay attention to holster and cover garment, but they will drag your pants down no matter how big you are. The 5" guns will poke seat cushions. Albert must be very determined to wear a full size GM.

My old Commander and SA Ultra Compact LW are not of as nice quality, and required gunsmithing for reliability and trigger pull, but they are easier to carry.

Baer makes some aluminum framed guns and Wilson the KZ plastic in 4" lengths. Check 'em out.
I've heard of many people carrying full size:confused: they weigh about 2.5lbs loaded how much weight can i save? i've never carried before but would like to now after my dad was shot on christmas eve hes ok but its gotten me thinking about what would i do if it happened again?

a burgler broke into the house on christmas eve and my dad had woken up and waited in the hallway and the BG saw hm fired once and hit him in the shoulder he had fired first and hit the BG in the chest...

a big scare that was so i have decided to carry now.

·
Registered
497 Posts
night life that's the type of story that motivated probably most of us on this board. i plain old refuse to have my only option be to call 911. i have a family to protect and i ain't relying solely on the police for their security, that's my job.

as for lightweight 1911's i have a springfield compact (4"barrel) that's reliable. i had some magazine issues, but solved them my springer runs like a top. look into the compact for your lightweight needs. you don't necessarily have to buy a 2000 dollar gun for reliability. springfield has a lifetime warranty as well.

i carry mine in a vm2

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i know that i dont have to spend that much money but im willing to... and ya i dont have a family yet but im sure glad my dad was armed to protect us... i mean what would of happened if he didnt have his gun? im scared to think of what would of happened.:(

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
NightLife said:
I've heard of many people carrying full size:confused: they weigh about 2.5lbs loaded how much weight can i save? i've never carried before but would like to now after my dad was shot on christmas eve hes ok but its gotten me thinking about what would i do if it happened again?

a burgler broke into the house on christmas eve and my dad had woken up and waited in the hallway and the BG saw hm fired once and hit him in the shoulder he had fired first and hit the BG in the chest...

a big scare that was so i have decided to carry now.
Any of those guns are perfectly adequate for self defense, once they have been fully proven reliable at the range with whatever ammo you choose for self defense. I don't know if I would want to "carry" a full size, full weight 1911 around all day though. I am partial to the 4" barrel on an officers frame made of aluminum or other lightweight material. I carry a Kimber lightweight compact and keep a Wilson Stealth on my night table. There is a 6 oz difference between the two same size guns, and it makes enough of a difference to me to keep it that way. But at your size, that may not hold true...

On another note, your decision to carry based on the experience with your father may be a knee jerk type reaction. You say you have never carried before and I suggest that you get some training on and off the range before doing so. The 1911 is a great carry gun, but probably requires a little more training than some of the other popular guns, like Glock etc. Put that together with learning the legal issues in your State and you have some work to do before sticking any gun in your pants! If you are more interested in a home defense situation like your dad's, you might want to invest in a good Shotgun and a few boxes of buckshot. Good luck!

H

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
oh im not going to just go buy a gun on the spur of the moment because of what happened... ive been thinking about carrying for a while now and i think after that incident its a good choice.

yes i will of course take some classes...

and i found out about packing.org great site :nice:

if i go with a CQB compact it weighs 40oz loaded but i cant decide w/o shooting these... need to go to the range.

G

·
I always hear this comment on these threads..........

"I don't think you would want to carry around a full size 1911 all day."

I wonder if the people who make that statement have ever actually carried a full size 1911 for a day or even few weeks or a month.

Cuz you know when you start carrying full time, I don't care if you're carrying a derringer, it feels weird and you KNOW it's there and you HAVE to make adjustments to your routine/clothing/stance/ posture/bending/ sitting/stooping.

I carry a 5" 1911 in a Milt Sparks VMII which is arguably the most comfortable IWB carry rig you can buy. I have a Milt Sparks belt and a Milt Sparks mag carrier.

It took weeks just to break in this rig, yes, it was uncomfortable at times. I sucked it up and kept on carrying, knowing my choice in leather products would gradually break in. Each time I wore it I knew it would get more and more comfortable.

I guess I've had this set up for about a month now and it's still not completely broken in. I can honestly say that I wear this rig at least 8 hours a day, 7 day's a week.

Most times I do not even know it's there. It's really getting broken in good now.

I sat for 2 hours in a hard back wooden chair with no padding on the seat at Barnes and Nobles this evening while reading several gun magazines. I experienced zero discomfort.

If you choose to carry concealed you are going to have to make some changes to you life.

1. Get a good holster. Plan on going through several before you find one that is "you". Doesn't matter what size or style of gun you choose, you might not get the right holster for you on the first trip to the gun leather store.

2. Get a good QUALITY GUN belt.

3. Get your pants 1-2" bigger in the waist if you're carrying IWB.

4. Get used to leaving your shirts un-tucked or wearing sweatshirts, jackets, something to cover the weapon.

5. Learn to be conscious of how your movements effect the print of the weapon, avoid these movements.

6. Quit your whining, you're going to be a bit uncomfortable for a few day's even with the best equipment. Get over it.

Your life or the lives of one of your loved ones may someday depend on the weapon you choose to carry today.

I chose the 5" 1911 over the compact 1911 for reliability and accuracy reasons. Not hear to argue with those of you who feel there is no difference in reliability and accuracy of a 5" 1911 and lesser barrel length models.

If my skinny butt can pack a full sized 1911 comfortably for a minimum of 8 hours a day, Nightlife can too.

Go for it!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts