1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, on my new Colt .38 Super LWT Commander (which is running great otherwise) the white dot fell out of the front sight. These sights are sort of Novak copies and I guess it's just a plastic insert stuck in the metal sight. The rear ones are stuck in there pretty good, they won't budge.

My questions are; Can I get a replacement insert? If I just fill the hole with something, what would y'all recommend? I guess real Novaks will fit in these dovetails, Whats a good source for them?

Thanks for your help!

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
I don't believe that a Colt has ever been produced where the white dot has not fallen out of the factory sights.

No biggie - get some white model paint or nail polish, and fill in the hole.

Try Brownell's for Novak sights. www.brownells.com

(And you might want to measure the dovetail to be sure that Novak's will fit.)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Try e-mailing Colt and see if they'll send you another one. Super-glue it in next time. (You don't want to send Colt the whole pistol just for that though.)

Or you can rub a white crayon into the front post & wipe the excess off with a dry rag. It'll last till the next time solvent gets into it, just re-apply if that happens. That's how I fixed a rear outline sight on a Ruger.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
I don't know of any sight maker that actually uses plastic inserts for dots, bars, or outlines.

It's really just PAINT.

To replace it so it'll stay put, degrease the hole, then fill with:
Appliance touch-up paint.
Model airplane paint.
Other hobby paint.
Or for a SUPER job, use Rust-oleum paint.

I used gloss White Rust-oleum for the added toughness, and the gloss showed up better.

I applied with a small artist's brush or a toothpick.

The "trick" is to allow it to dry BONE DRY.
Even with fast-dry paints this takes longer due to the small size of the hole.

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
use a China pen

You should go to Office Depot, or Office Max and get a $1.99 China pen. This is a peel away crayon-type permanent paint stick. They write on nearly anything, and just pack/smush a bunch of it in the place you want it, and voila! I usually just scrub the tip of the pen abck and forth over the spot I want filled, and wipe off the excess. Works like a charm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.