1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've gotten the feeling that the consensus seems to be that a 5" barrel is generally more reliable with less failures than a compact. I have been looking at the Colt XSE LTW Commander, and the Kimber Compact II. By having a 4" barrel, I figured either would be a nicely concealable gun. I'm in TN so my varying attire (depending on temp/humidity) decides how well I can conceal. I am 5' 10", 185lbs. Does anyone my size carry a full size 1911 for full time concealed carry. Any concealement issues during summer months?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
i carry and have carried a fullsize for a long time.

i have nothing against commander size guns, i have had a couple and they worked well, i just kept going back to my fullsize.

i carry IWB year round. i used to use a galco holster and it worked good, just plan on having a little baggier shirt in the summer months.

last week i bought a crossbreed holster IWB and its been by far the most comfortable holster i have ever used.

the difference in the full size and the commander isnt much, cause the grip is the hardest thing to conceal, and they are the same size.

i carried a defender for a while but it took a lot to get it reliable ( not bashing defenders i would like another one, its just the one i bought used needed work) and i could never really trust it after that.

you can hide the fullsize, as long as you understand you may need to change your dress style a little, esp in hot weather. usually here in oklahoma i wear shorts and a tank top unless im working. an IWB works well with that with a little effort. ( and shorts that have good belt loops!)

good luck to ya

russel
SDMF

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
I do...

Here's one that gets regular use. It's up at Chuck Roger's place for some fine tuning and extra details, but I should get her back in a couple of days...She'll be bobtailed, dimpled, and muzzle crowned.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Full size 1911 or G21 w/grip reduction

I've gotten the feeling that the consensus seems to be that a 5" barrel is generally more reliable with less failures than a compact. I have been looking at the Colt XSE LTW Commander, and the Kimber Compact II. By having a 4" barrel, I figured either would be a nicely concealable gun. I'm in TN so my varying attire (depending on temp/humidity) decides how well I can conceal. I am 5' 10", 185lbs. Does anyone my size carry a full size 1911 for full time concealed carry. Any concealement issues during summer months?
It can get uncomfortable, if you wear it for long hours. Usually a high quality holster with the proper cant can cure this (either the Vmax or a similar style).
Also, the length of the barrel isn’t hard to conceal (with a IWB). Its usually the grip, or the butt of the pistol.
I think Clint Smith said it best, “Carrying a gun isn’t comfortable, its comforting (or something like that).”;)

·
Registered
126 Posts
I bought an ultra carry for carry. Before that I was carrying a 38 snub, but just wanted something different. My wife got me a Raptor for bday/christmas broke it in and have been carrying it every day since. Maybe 1/2 the first day I could really notice the difference b/w the Raptor and the Ultra but now I have no problem with the full size at all. I am 6ft 155 lbs and it conceals great in a tuckable holster for work.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
DISCLAIMER: The following personal opinions are just that -- opinions. They were derived through study & reading, from conversations with other firearm enthusiasts, and finalized by my own experiences with the subject at hand; the comments are not intended as a slight against any other opinion/opinions from forum members or administrators...

I carry a full-size daily, either my Para P16/40 (converted to 10mm - 16+1), supergus, or an assortment of other Governments in 10mm or 45ACP (7/8+1). I sometimes carry a full-sized polymer back-up as well -- lately it has been either a M&P45 or a HK45 (10+1)...

Yeah, it can get heavy at times, but with quality holsters, belt, and suspenders, they carry quite well along with a SureFire 6P an a dual magazine pouch. You'll find, me thinks, with the right support equipment that all the gear carries and feels better than one would surmise...good luck

·
Registered
588 Posts
I'm carrying a fullsize right now because my 4" is in the shop. I prefer the shorter gun, but I do carry OWB. The extra 1" of a full size tends to sometimes show below my shirt, which is primarily why I went to the 4" in the first place. If I were carrying IWB, I don't think it would matter a lick.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I have been known to leave the house with a Bersa .380 and once with a .38 snubbie, . . . but not very often, . . . and not very far.

Generally speaking, RIA, 1911, steel, full size, 8 rd mag, 1 in the tube, . . . and yes there are times when it is sort of uncomfortable. BUT, . . . knowing that it is what it is, . . . I let the uncomfortable moment pass, . . . and go on back to whatever I was doing.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
687 Posts
My primary carry CCW is a Government Colt Gunsite Pistol. Carried in either a Milt Sparks VM II.

My back up CCW is a Browning Hipower 9mm factory chromed, and some custom work done by Novak's. I carry that in a holster similar to the VMII but made by a new maker UGB. It is a nice light setup.

I have a bunch more but I will be carrying one or the other of those two.

I will not carry a 1911 to a possible fight with any barrel less than 5".

Good luck.

Fred

·
Registered
64 Posts
Lately I have been carrying my HK USPc .40 more and more, however when I carried a .45 1911 it was a full size Taurus PT 1911. I use one of two holsters when carrying it and both are IWB - a Minotaur MTAC from CompTac or a AKJ Concealco IWB - and either one is postioned at the 4-5 o'clock postion. I am 69" and 180 so we are similar in build and size. I have no problem with concealment as long as I wear a shirt ouside the pants, and I have not tried the tuckable option with the MTAC yet.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The 1911 has a flat profile making it easy to hide. I carry IWB in a VMII all day. a quality belt is essential due to the weight. I dont find it uncomfortable in fact I take naps with mine with 2 spare mags and all. You get accustomed to to the gun being there. I tried to carry my wallet in my left rear pocket the other day and I found it to be bothersome. Just wasnt use to it being there.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Full-Size 1911 Carry

I am a left-hander who carries a single-sided safety Colt Series 80 blued in a Galco Avenger.

If weather or dress won't allow, I carry a Sig P232 .380 acp rather than go unarmed.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I carry a full sized Springfield TRP every day. As another poster already said, you just need to alter your style of dress in the summer. I usually wear a thin over shirt and keep my T-Shirt tucked in. That covers the pistol nicely. The hardest thing to conceal is the grip. So some of the smaller 1911's aren't really going to help there. I've carried both a 4" and a 5" 1911 and they felt and carried just the same as both the grips were identical. In fact once I figured that out that's precisely why I switched to the 5" model. Which I shoot better with and I'm more comfortable with in general.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I've always carried either my Safari Arms Matchmaster 5" or my Springfield Armory TRP sts, and my backup has always been my sts Colt Officers Model. As to accuracy for the OM? Most incidents will happen at 31ft or less. At 31ft my OM hits under the 1" range which is perfect for it's intended use. Why do I use an OM for backup? Continuity of magazines. I can use my duty mags in my backup piece.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I've always carried either my Safari Arms Matchmaster 5" or my Springfield Armory TRP sts, and my backup has always been my sts Colt Officers Model. As to accuracy for the OM? Most incidents will happen at 31ft or less. At 31ft my OM hits under the 1" range which is perfect for it's intended use. Why do I use an OM for backup? Continuity of magazines. I can use my duty mags in my backup piece.

DISCLAIMER: The following personal opinions are just that -- opinions. They were derived through study & reading, from conversations with other firearm enthusiasts, and finalized by my own experiences with the subject at hand; the comments are not intended as a slight against any other opinion/opinions from forum members or administrators...

Your logic for carrying your Officers as a back-up, sousana, is faultless. I carried an Officers (90% of the time) for 15 years as my back-up and still do when my primary Government is in .45ACP. Since my main carry is now mostly a high capacity framed Para Ordnance P16/40 (converted to 10mm), however, that has changed. I now use a variety of back-ups from a full-sized Smith & Wesson M&P45, a HK45, A HK USPc in .357 Sig, to a High Power 9mm and a H&K P30 also in 9mm...

I know, it doesn't make any sense for alot of reasons. I guess with all my handguns, I kinda feel they all should get a turn now and then at least as a back-up piece. The main carry remains a Government in either 10mm or .45ACP, and that will remain the case...

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
I'm 5'9" @ 170# and I carry one of these - only when I'm not in bed or the shower :)

In a Sparks VMII -

Or a Rosen ARG -

Under a T-shirt in warm weather or sweat shirt (I'm retired and usually dress informally) or sport or suit coat when I dress up. I have some compacts but the Government Model size feels better to me and I shoot it better - slightly longer sight radius maybe (actually nearly 20% longer). I think it conceals just as easily - the length of the grip being more a factor in concealment than the length of the barrel.

:D

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You guys are really giving me some good input! I stopped at Gunslingers in Kingsport, TN today and checked out a 4" and a 5" 1911. I drive a lot so the 4" feels better while sitting, although if the full size shoots better for me I'm sure I can adapt.

·
Premium Member
3,907 Posts
I carry my TRS with no issues in a Mitch Rosen OWB. At least until my Milt Sparks VMII is made....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts