1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've carried a commander sized gun before IWB and it was quite comfortable. I've since sold that gun and am considering a full size since that's really all I have (other than a j-frame). Probably in a comp-tac MTAC IWB. It wouldn't be all day everyday carry, since I can't at work. Just wondering if you find a full size too heavy or long for IWB carry, thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
i have carried two full sized 5 inch 1911's inside my waist every day since 1984.you get used to it and dont feel right if you you dont have them with you.

·
Registered
65 Posts
i used to carry a G23. My 5" in a Milt Sparks SS2 is more comfortable, and concealable than the 23 in a comptac spartan. Not knocking the rig, but a 1911 rides best for me. Lenght is not such an issue as width for the way I prefer to carry.

·
Premium Member
3,668 Posts
I switch carry between full size 1911's and my 4". For me, there's no problem carrying a 5" 1911 all day. That's because I use a good gun belt and a Milt Sparks VMII IWB.

IMHO, the carry rig makes all the difference in the world when it comes to being comfortable.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I have a 4" and 5" and you do get use to it. Like another poster said a good gun belt will help with the weight. I went with the galco instructor's belt.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I carry my 5" in a Crossbreed Super Tuck, no problem.

It is more comfortable than the 3.5" barrel, double stack Para that I carry sometimes. I believe the grip frame is more important than barrel length.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I carry a Les Baer TRS in a Milt Sparks holster, I carry all day when I am not in school, and never have a problem with it. It feels odd to me to be sitting in class without it on my hip :(

·
Registered
65 Posts
My everyday carry gun is a Black Scorpion out of the DGC Custom shop. It is a 5 inch pistol and I usually use either a Don Hume JIT , or a Don Hume inside the pant rig ( sorry I can not remember the model number) . I generally have the gun 12 -15 hours a day and like others have said as long as I use a good belt designed for carring a pistol I have had no issues at all with it.

·
Registered
752 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
5"

I have owned a few 4" guns in the past, but always wind up back with the 5". I just shoot them better and they aren't really any harder to conceal. I carry OWB in a Fobus paddle holster and cover it with a vest, jacket etc. There are times and places I can't/won't carry a full size gun, for that I have a J-frame .38

·
Registered
138 Posts
Gov. model in a VMII, forget it's even there.

·
Registered
198 Posts
i have carried two full sized 5 inch 1911's inside my waist every day since 1984.you get used to it and dont feel right if you you dont have them with you.
Brett,
Do you mean two at the same time or do you rotate between two different 5" pistols?

If you carry both at the same time, what holster rigs do you use?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Like fmhscopeland, . . . 5" RIA, all steel, . . . all day.

Somewhere on my "to do" list is an entry that says "Build a stainless, 6 in, hard ball gun for .45 ACP".

If I ever get it done, . . . I'll retire the 5". :rock:

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
5" Springfield Loaded IWB in an Andrews MacDaniel II crossdraw (worn strong side usually) on a Galco belt. I have no problem carrying or concealing it all day long. I haven't carried it in a while though in favor of my LCP. I made that decision based on my own circumstances and the inability to carry until I get across the state line each morning. Have you ever tried to remove a full size 1911 from your trunk, load, and holster it in public without drawing attention? I've done that with my LCP right next to someone who never noticed anything. Now, if I could carry in my state, I'd relegate the LCP to backup status today.

·
Registered
394 Posts
M-TAC w/ Gov't 1911

I carry a full-sized Kimber Custom II 1911 in an M-TAC frequently. It conceals extremely well, but I've gotta make sure it's in the right spot so it doesn't dig in and leave me w/ a sore backside.

//I'm 6'6", 250lbs, but the gun conceals so well that I'm sure a less oversized person could manage :rock:

1 - 20 of 61 Posts