1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another thread brought this up in a round-a-bout way by bringing up the oft-told legend of people getting in trouble for defending themselves with a modified handgun.

Which caused me to wonder how many of you carry a gun you compete with- even if you only compete with it part of the time?

My daily carry gun has been my main IDPA gun since I got it- a Caspian frame/slide 10mm set up just the way I wanted it- but it is loaded with factory ammo.

Curious to hear from the rest of the regulars here...

Brent

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
I did for a long time. Now that I have an alloy frame Commander in .45 (my numero uno carry gun), not so much any more. But for several years I carried a Bilby Bob Kimber in .45 ACP and that's what I competed with.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I carry a G23 and compete with it on occasion.

Whats more I dont own a HG that I have carried that has not been shot in IDPA and I havent competed with one that has not been carried. (The One exception is a NAA 22 mag mini rev!)

INCLUDING a 1911 with a sub 2# trigger.

Finger not on trigger, gun no fire!

Larry P

·
Registered
128 Posts
I bought a Springfield Parked loaded full size model to compete IDPA with (just starting), and have since taken to carrying it. I've only made cosmetic modifications to it (grips, bushing, guide rod/plug, MShousing).

It's proven to be 100% reliable, and is much more comfortable to carry than I would have thought. Besides, my wife decided to commandeer my Micro for carry...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, I have shot all of my carry guns in competition....but I have not carried all of my competition guns.

I have shot a Security Six in competition but carried a GP100 on duty. I have shot a Glock 35 but carried a Glock 19 conceled. You get the idea.

David G.

·
Registered
170 Posts
IDPA CDP Gun: .45 ACP 5" Single Stack
Carry Gun: .45 ACP 5" Polymer Frame double stack for the capacity.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I sometimes carry my H&K USP 40 which I compete with in IDPA. And I carry my Sig P-220 which I compete with in IDPA as well. They both have after market adj. nite sights, polished ramps, and polished triggers. The Sig has a lighter recoil spring and polished slide rails and the H&K has the ambi safety installed. I carry my Wilson on my own time when I can wear a light jacket(fall and winter time). The Wilson CQB.......well, it has a few bells and whistles. My USPSA Springfeild and GLOCK 17......no carry. Too big and bulky. Hard to conceal a full size Springer with a Comp'ed barrel and Red Dot.:D

·
Registered
15,317 Posts
the WHO

Competition guns:
1911 Caspian 45 ACP
EAA Witnesses in 9x19, 9x21, (selling the 38 Super top end), 40 S&W, 41 AE, 45 ACP
GP100 (2)
357/41/44/45 Colt Redhawks

Carry guns:
See previous list

·
Registered
390 Posts
I compete in IDPA with a Beretta Minx and my carry gun is a S&W Model 500 in a Jackass shoulder holster....I like to carry and compete with ammo about the same approximate power factor!:biglaugh:

·
Registered
165 Posts
I just competed with my Baer TRS, a couple weeks prior I used my Michiguns Ultra-Compact for bowling pins. Since I travel a lot, I usually only bring one pistol with me and that is the pistol I carry -- where legal.

I do sometimes compete with my STI Eagle and Browning Buckmark -- those I don't carry. Although am looking into a holster for the Eagle :).

Matt

·
Registered
80 Posts
Carry and compete with the same guns and ammo. .45 on the hip, 9mm in the glove box, 12 gauge and .308 in the gunrack or under the seat. :D

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,529 Posts
My daily carry is my BUG gun; Detonics Combat Master. On occasion, I also carry my CDP, a worked-on Colt '91A1. Sill trying to find a good concealment rig for my longslide L10.

·
Registered
158 Posts
HK P7 M13 is used for steel plates, USPSA and IDPA.
I take two to matches, one to shoot and the other as carry and backup if the gun I am competing with goes down.
Usually just carry a Seecamp (which has also been used in IDPA bug stages).

·
Registered
769 Posts
I carried and competed with my Series I Kimber for 2 years. I got a deal on a semi custom gun that is now my dedicated IDPA blaster. These days my carry gun is a Series I Kimber Compact Aluminum that I shoot some matches with now and then.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
My testing process for a carry gun includes shooting it in matches. While I have some guns that are primarily game guns, all my carry guns have been shot in competition.

·
Registered
223 Posts
My IDPA gun is allso my main CCW gun. I use my Enhanced Colt series 80 for both.

When it's too warm out to hide my 1911 I pack my Colt Mustang pockelite.

Gunner45

·
Registered
645 Posts
I don't carry a gun that weighs over a pound and I don't compete with a gun that weighs less than three pounds. Other than that, anything will do.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Competition gun: 5” 1911 45 ACP

Carry gun: 3” 1911 45 ACP

The same… but different.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts