1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate calling them repro's because I think they are better pistols them the originals.

But anyway I am curious to know how many people here rely on their 70 series as an off duty or CCW pistol? Are they reliable to trust your life with? Did you sink hundreds and hundreds of dollars to make them ready to rock?

It seems that others don't think Colt's make a good carry weapon. I thought I read somewhere that the military special ops teams and the like that are carrying 1911's picked another maker.

Throw your thoughts at me please. I wanna hear from you all.

Steve

·
Administrator
73,778 Posts
My lightly customized Series 70 stainless sometimes functions as my home defense or hiking gun. My stock stainless S70 mostly stays at home because I can't fire it without needing a Band-Aid.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My lightly customized Series 70 stainless sometimes functions as my home defense or hiking gun. My stock stainless S70 mostly stays at home because I can't fire it without needing a Band-Aid.
That's really quite ironic. Whenever I shoot my duty weapon at the range, a Glock 22, I always leave bleeding and blistered. I put 100 rounds through my 70 series this past Monday as fast as I could load the mags and had no issues. The 1911 fits my hand like a glove and I can't make the hammer bite my hand. These new wonder guns, Glock and previously the Beretta always leave me blistered and bleeding.

Steve

·
Administrator
73,778 Posts
I can't shoot Glocks because they blister the bottom of my trigger finger. My stock SS S70 bites my hand when I shoot it, but surprisingly my blued 1st gen S70 doesn't. They both look almost the same except for the finish, so I can't figure it out. When I shoot a mil-spec 1911 I prefer the short wide-spur hammer like on my 1943 Colt M1911A1, otherwise I need either a beavertail or a bobbed hammer. It's a shame because I really don't like the looks of either.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I bought an O1911 as a primary carry gun, and am quite comfortable with the choice....it shoots exceedingly well, is very reliable, and needed nothing done to it to improve those aspects....not a S70, but it's a new basic Colt, so I think it fits....it's the best 1911 I've ever owned, of any type, by any maker....

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I think the WWI repro makes a fine carry gun. So far, very accurate and reliable and it's the best feeling gun in my hand that I have....a natural pointer. When I bought it I thought the small sights would be a problem, but at 7 yards or so and for purely defensive purposes, they are fine...and dead on POA. I would not put a set of modern sights on mine. I think the gun is beautiful as it comes from the factory.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
My sentiments exactly, Texasgun...the 1911 Repro IS a beautiful gun and works fine as is- there's more than a few 1911s that were fired in anger in WW1 without complaints. My gun shoots POA at 25 yds with GI ball-it'll hold the 10 ring on a timed/rapid center. I've replaced the trigger with an original, as well as a new extractor, firing pin and firing pin stop. Nice gun. I'd carry it, except that it's too nice and it's not on the list of approved weapons I can carry as an LAPD Detective. Now that I'm back on active duty (I've been mobilized again), I get to shoot it more often with free ammo!
Bob (OIF2)

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have a less than 1 year old S-80 Government that is my primary carry. I had some trouble with the spurr hammer at first, 50 rounds and bleeding. I don't like the way the high grip beavertails look or work. My bony hand just doesn't reliably deactivate them. I had my gunsmith install a berryhill commander hammer and he had to modify the grip safety. Everything works great now, reliable, comfortable gun to shoot and carry.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a less than 1 year old S-80 Government that is my primary carry. I had some trouble with the spurr hammer at first, 50 rounds and bleeding. I don't like the way the high grip beavertails look or work. My bony hand just doesn't reliably deactivate them. I had my gunsmith install a berryhill commander hammer and he had to modify the grip safety. Everything works great now, reliable, comfortable gun to shoot and carry.
I'm surprised you were having problems with the hammer. I too have long bony hands and expected what happened to you, but it never has.

Have you ever had any malfunctions and do you use the factory mags?

Steve

·
Registered
74 Posts
Series 70 for Carry

My off duty carry gun is a Kimber Pro Carry Eclipse. Last year I bought a brand new, blue, series 70 and I was pleasantly surprised at its accuracy and reliability. This past fall I qualified with the Colt scoring 248 out of 250. Anyways, I started carrying the Colt and quickly found that the hammer snags big time. I am actually going into the gunsmith section next to find some info on a round spur hammer as a replacement. Do you have any suggestions?

·
Registered
23,211 Posts
I must have "John Browning Hands" or something. Even my WWI repro does not bother me when I shoot it. I do carry a Commander which has the spur hammer. If Colt decides to made the Commander without the Series 80 firing pin block (although I have never had any problems with it in any Colt I have that has it) I think it would be like them minting money. One might think of sending your 70 back to Colt for the hammer and even other changes.

Anyway, my current carry.

And if the Colt Custom Shop set up a gun like my current Special Combat Gov, then they should be able to put the hammer and grip safety on a 70 series off the line (maybe).

·
Registered
147 Posts
My always carry gun...Colt S70

While I did spend some money on it, I don't believe it to be necessary at all. I added creature comforts for my taste.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I'm surprised you were having problems with the hammer. I too have long bony hands and expected what happened to you, but it never has.

Have you ever had any malfunctions and do you use the factory mags?

Steve
Steve, I guess you are just lucky regarding your hands. I grip really high, hence the problem with the beavertails. Not a lot of loose flesh on my hands, but just enough to get bit. I did have my gunsmith break the edges of the gun and gently taper the GS upwards. I would like the benefit of the high grip GS but no sense having one if it doesn't work all the time. No malfuctions with any of my mags, Colt, Wilson, McCormick and Metalform. I thoroughly tested the gun, HP's LSWC's, RN, different weights etc, it was not found wanting.

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
I have both - old one on top and "repro" bottom - and I can't tell any difference between them in any way. For a total of about $150.00 I added King's Gun Works high visibility sights, low mount thumb safeties, and flat MSHs. I alternate weeks carrying them and shoot about 40 rounds per week through each.

Stocks on original replaced originals just to save those beauties.

:rock:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I carry my stainless Series 70 and it has been reliable right out of the blue box it came in.
500 rds and counting.
No hammer bite problems for my medium size hands either.
It's 100% stock,besides the Ivory grips,and will stay that way.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I carry my blued new S70 quite often. It's been such a good gun. Quite accurate and reliable. I have 2554 rounds through it so far. Only thing I did was have an Ed Brown ambi-safety put in cause I'm a left.
I am going with an Ed Brown ambi for the same reason. What do you think of it? Also, have those 2554 rounds been malfunction free?

Steve

·
Registered
219 Posts
Depending on the weather I carry my Blued S70--I carry something else in the summer.

It is very reliable and has never failed in just under 1K rounds. Even after having the ejection port enlarged I still get an occisional piece of brass in the forehead. :scratch:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts