1911Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During the "Pandemic" I decided to make an 80% 1911. Mind you I own several other Commander and FS 1911, but CCW was a bit much with even the Pro Carry. I found a Para LDA Officers slide in the Parts Bin (No Disconnector slot) begging to be played with. I had a Commander Frame by Stealth Arms and their Jig that only required a Hand Drill to complete (Phantom Jig). I found out that on a Commander frame I had to move the HIS forward 0.015" to allow the Slide full rearward motion. I used a Dremel Grinder to cut the Disconnector slot. Went with Fusion Fire Control, Wilson Combat Officers Bull Barrel, #18 Mainspring, #20 Recoil springs from WC. Had a set of Trijicons in the Parts Bin to top off the slide...
Brown Product Everyday carry Revolver Material property

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
They called those a "Commanding Officer" model. (Commander + Officer = Commanding Officer)

I've thought about doing one with a bobtailed commander frame.

Reactions: Ranger4

·
Registered
17 Posts
During the "Pandemic" I decided to make an 80% 1911. Mind you I own several other Commander and FS 1911, but CCW was a bit much with even the Pro Carry. I found a Para LDA Officers slide in the Parts Bin (No Disconnector slot) begging to be played with. I had a Commander Frame by Stealth Arms and their Jig that only required a Hand Drill to complete (Phantom Jig). I found out that on a Commander frame I had to move the HIS forward 0.015" to allow the Slide full rearward motion. I used a Dremel Grinder to cut the Disconnector slot. Went with Fusion Fire Control, Wilson Combat Officers Bull Barrel, #18 Mainspring, #20 Recoil springs from WC. Had a set of Trijicons in the Parts Bin to top off the slide... View attachment 617824
Wow! I appreciate you posting this. I've had a LDA slide for a year or two and have been debating what to do with it. This has inspired me!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Groo here
Had my old gun docker build a "bestest carry gun"
He wanted to build it on an officers frame but as it was 38super, we decided on a commander frame as mags were avable.
I also have a Para so made in 45 and got a pair of Sig grips and main spring housing that gives you the same thing...
Once you add a mag well to an officers frame you might as well use a commander frame.
Ps ,, those makers who use true commander frames [not cut back goverment ones] and matching slides,[not cut down goverment ones]
like colt, the officer and commander frames use the same rail,dustcover cuts and the slids can be changed at will.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I built an Officer and Commander with interchangeable top ends in 45. This way I can play with 4 different configurations to determine which CCW works best for me. Officer, Commander, CCO, or Commanding Officer.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Great job. Innovation is always better than store bought.
Anyone can save up and buy a $4,000 1911, not every one can create one that good, . Carry it with pride.

• Love
Reactions: Art Blackstock

·
Registered
856 Posts
I am in the process of building a Commander frame with an Officer slide using a Para P-13 aluminum casting I bought from Sarco.
Frame, Slide, and Bull barrel cycle just fine. Just need time to finish it up.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am in the process of building a Commander frame with an Officer slide using a Para P-13 aluminum casting I bought from Sarco.
Frame, Slide, and Bull barrel cycle just fine. Just need time to finish it up.
Keep us Updated. I love the Custom Configurations.
What Barrel are you using? I recommend a "Storm Lake", EGW, or "HGW" Bull with Full Supporting Reverse Guide Plug. These have been the Easiest to fit my Frame and Slide combo.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I've never built one, but I do have a Springfield Armory Ultra Compact in that configuration that is one of my favorite carry guns. Enough grip to hang onto and the slide doesn't jab me in the side.
Tom

1 - 14 of 14 Posts