1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll start off. I mostly hunt small game & varmints, but I really enjoy using the 1911!

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
I don't do much hunting, but I do carry a 10mm chambered Wilson Hunter for wilderness protection.

If I did much hunting with a pistol, I'd probably stay with the same Wilson Hunter.

·
Super Moderator
14,158 Posts
I deer hunt these days with a Kimber Eclipse 10mm.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
I don't do much hunting, but I do carry a 10mm chambered Wilson Hunter for wilderness protection.

If I did much hunting with a pistol, I'd probably stay with the same Wilson Hunter.
I have a similar use case, I switch my ammo from HST+P to .45 super 250g when in areas dangerous animals may be a factor.

I have a .460 for hunting boar with

·
Registered
111 Posts
I bought my Nighthawk 10mm longslide specifically to hunt with. I use my Delta for rainy days and hunting standing corn, which is usually pretty messy. 75 yards and less is ideal for 10mm.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Hi Frank;

I'd love to take deer or hogs with the Colt Delta Elite here and it goes along on many hunts since it was acquired in 2016 as the side arm in case a close opportunity arises.

Before that I took a few rabbits, varmints, and critters on rambles with a Colt 1911 .45 when I was young.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I'll start off. I mostly hunt small game & varmints, but I really enjoy using the 1911!
Frank,
It's been a long time, but I used to hunt jack rabbits out in the Mojave desert with my Gold Cup using a 185 SWC @ 725fps. Like using a very accurate slingshot. :biglaugh: Longest shot was over 200 yds. I'm getting a red dot reflex put on my Wilson. Maybe this winter/fall I'll go out for a bit of jack hunting. :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
I don't hunt with my handguns. I take them along as my side arm and would never venture into the field without it even when not hunting. Handgun hunting is not my style.

I've seen this video of a man sitting in a tree stand with his Glock .40cal on his hip and a scoped rifle in his hand. A hog came into view and he shot it from the stand and made a clean shot. I cannot find the video. It may have been removed for violating community standards.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Taken to deer with my 40sw CC pistol , Not a 1911 but would have been fine too . One was about 12 or 13 years ago 20 feet below me while I was in a climbing stand with a tp40 kahr use 155gr gd underwood load the other was 5 years ago while still standing glassing a long field when another large doe came when deer again showed up under my leaner stand . I drew the P320c I CC and dropped it too .

Both deer were shot with the same 155gr gold dot underwood ammo and both were pass thru shoots . One hit the spine so it and dropped , heart and a lung were also hit so death was quick . The other ran about 60 feet and feel over , One lung hit well heart has hit , small leaker deer was died before I could get down and to it .

I started hunting for hogs and a few deer with a 8" 357mag DW 15-2 revolver back in '76 uses a 170gr sp handload . I added a 2moa 1" tube type red dot in '78 or '79 . That optic lasted almost 25 years . It now wears a 2moa 1" ultra dot but has not been hunted with it in a few years . I getting old and broke down !

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Not hunting per se, but I carry it when I'm out in the wilderness. I figure there isn't anything in this neck of the woods that I can't handle with 9 to 11 rounds of .45.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I'm really enjoying the 1911, have taken a number of small ground squirrels with it. I do carry it in the mtns. But we do have grizzlys so often carry a .44 then.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts