1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pistolsmiths,
Who does the best hardchroming work? I know many of you have sent pistols off for this at one time or another and would like to hear your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Oldcolt

------------------

·
Registered
697 Posts
I had mine done by Tripp Research. They did an excellent job. There are probably a few others that do nearly, or as good a job, but few can match their prices and quick turn around. For a complete gun and small parts mine was $142.00 and I had it back in a week.
www.trippresearch.com

·
Registered
563 Posts
I'll be brief, old colt. I don't like hard chrome and had a gun ruined in Berryville one summer by Metaloy when they lost their ability for a whole summer. The gun is the Red Eye Special which is the finest 38 Super I ever built. The ends of parts were black and it was a crap job. They blasted a prepped gun and messed up the engraving and generally broke me of ever using hard chrome again. I like electroless nickle.Don has good luck with his people and Chuck has a good one too. I wouldn't do it to any of my guns.Platers are a night mare. They do good work and then it turns to crap and you have to find another one. I love flat black!

·
Registered
211 Posts
What is the deal with platers? It seems like every single one has some horrible nightmare screwup in their history -- Accurate Plating & Weaponry, Checkmate, Metaloy. Always some metal prep issue with rounded corners, obliterated rollmarks, etc. I have yet to hear of similar problems with the spray on bake on folks. This is of interest to me, as I'm shopping for some hard chrome as well.

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
Alamo of Ocala, Florida is the best I've seen.

[This message has been edited by pistolwrench (edited 10-17-2001).]

·
Banned
1,342 Posts
Quantity Metal finishing is a difficult job.

In the Colt and Smith factories, one of the most prestigious jobs was the finisher.

It took years to get good enough.

The spray and bake guys uniformly just blast the metal before prep-no polishing.

Its the machine polishing that is tough.
Hand sanding is downright easy in comparison.

I think it is in a pistolsmiths best interest to do most of the prep himself and merely have the platers clean and do a light blast and plate.

They will lose those little ponies on a 70 series slide real quick. Those rollmarks aren't quite deep enough to start out with.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Originally posted by Hilton GZ:
What is the deal with platers? It seems like every single one has some horrible nightmare screwup in their history -- Accurate Plating & Weaponry, Checkmate, Metaloy. Always some metal prep issue with rounded corners, obliterated rollmarks, etc.
I have to add my two cents here also. Checkmate screwed up my gun also. I wanted a combo hard chrome and blued gun. The gun came back a mess. The bluing looked like a dark zebra and they couldn't even put the gun back together correctly.

I had to send the gun back to the factory to get it fixed. Wrong springs, misassembly etc. Then I had to send the slide off to another smith to have the bluing done right again.

Very expensive lesson on being careful who you send your gun to.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Guess I'm not alone in this. I have an excellent plater and I'll give you his website.He has done an outstanding job on the commemorative single actions I have built for Happy Trails ( The Roy Rogers Family) He can plate anything with anything, not just hard chrome. His name is Jeff Collins and the website is www.thegoldline.com He also did the Johhn Mack Brown gun that graced the Cover of SHOOT!MAGAZINE.His phone number is1-203-879-7023. Tell him the Captain sent you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts