1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering who has been to Front Sight, and what you thought of the course. If you ever reviewed it, please post the details or a link to them.

I'm thinking of trying to get out there in APril with the wife but would like to hear how they stack up against Thunder Ranch, Gunsite, etc. I'd be going for the two day pistol.

FYI, I have a certifcate to go so I don't have to pay tuition - so no point in saying to go elsewhere. This would be a vacation trip - two days shooting, two days Vegas.

And finally, I know about the alleged link between FS and the COS, and I'm not joining FS or the COS anytime soon Just want my wife to get some more exposure to "real" training.

Paul

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
I took their free 1-day SMG class, and was pleasantly surprised at the high level of instruction. (I'm an MP-5 instructor for my agency.) Even people who had never before in their lives fired a gun were hitting the target and getting good hits. More importantly, they were getting good gun-handling skills drilled into their heads AND having a great time! The only negative aspect is having to either make a long drive to & from Vega$, or staying in Parumph, which is rather dreary. (The Saddle West seems to be the best place to stay in Parumph.)

If your wife finds shooting to be fun and/or interesting, I would encourage you to also check out Gunsite. There's a Ladies Only course for Her, as well as their 150 and 250 classes which you both could take. While there, stay at the Little Thumb Butte bed & breakfast 15 minutes away. Great food and accomodations, as well as breath-taking views, fishing, and (perhaps) some horse-back riding. The suite over the barn is THE P(a)LACE.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Paul
I haven't been their yet but know an ex-instructor from their Combat Shot Gun stuff and he has nothing but nice things to say about them. I thought he'd drop alittle dirt but noda. Nothing but high praise. He mentioned taking the 4 day class offers soooo much more including some night training. I als have a certificate and may try to go in dec if space is available.

Do a search as others have posted results form FS. Most say it's very good and only a different emphasis than the other big two.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Paul,

I don't know if you saw the essay at my web site comparing FrontSight and Gunsite(GS). You can pretty much subsitute TR for Gunsite and read the essary accurately.

http://thecurmudgeon.freeservers.com

later,
John

·
Registered
5 Posts
Been to Frontsight, liked it.

I attended the Four Day Defensive Handgun course last November. This was my first shooting school so I have nothing to compare to. I paid full price since I didn't know about the certificates, but I think it was worth it.

My take is that FS targets civilians more than police or military, so that the atmosphere is very non-intimidating for women and first time shooters.

The four days was about half in the classroom and half on the range. We never shot up all the ammo that we were asked to bring.

We got to do a night exercise, a tactical house clearing exercise and also a shooting house with live ammo. I am not sure what gets added to the four day course from the two day course, but I can't imagine that the classroom time would be greatly diminished, so I'll bet the two day will focus on safe gun handling, presenting from the holster, sight picture and sight alignment at the range, and give the gist of the classroom work (laws of lethal force, defensive mindset, etc)

IMHO, it would be worth seeing if you can pay the difference an attend the four day, the training will be in more depth. (Or trade+cash for a four day certificate)

I am signed up to go to SigArms Academy for the two day Advanced Concealed Carry Pistol course. We will learn shooting while moving, shooting from disadvantaged positions, and will have a force-on-force exercise with Simunitions where the bad guys shoot back!

·
Registered
459 Posts
dj53 Did FS require a background check for you to attend the school. I'm sensing from inquiring this may be a negotiable item. Just did it to buy a pistol and it seems like a waste of $50.

I also noticed they require factory loaded ammo no reloads insurance and safety reasons. Do they sell a variety of 45ACP and are the prices competitive.

I will do FS soon but not sure if I'll drive there and bring ammo or fly and check everything on the airline which is a PITA.

BTW big difference between 2 day and 4 day in terms of the training and depth of it. 4 day is the way to go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Backgound check for FS

As I recall, the background check requirement was added after I attended. I had my CCW permit (Florida), so I may have had it waived. ( I just turned 50 and my memory isn't what it used to be) Naish seems pretty determined to avoid any bad publicity and wants to be sure only upstanding citizens are admitted. No training terrorists for FS!

I bought their ammo, it was competitively priced but not as low as ammoman, but lower than my local gunshop. I didn't get a choice of manufacturer, put it was a major name brand (PMC). I flew into Las Vegas and I think you would have trouble flying in with that much ammo anyway.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Yep that was kinda the message between the lines. 1000 rounds to an airline agent looks like you're gonna start a war, not to mention the weight and added baggage.

PMC is good stuff usually what I buy when I get factory loaded stuff. I think my local price is about $11 for 50 rds.

The background check is bogus terrorist aren't going to FS for training. Plus I just did it 30 days ago and it costs $30 not $50 ($20='s 100 rds of ammo). Damn the FBI is gonna put me on a watch list with all these folks inquiring!

Still I've heard all positive things about FS.

·
Registered
653 Posts
front sight (kinda long - sorry)

Howdy. I've been to Front Sight twice, both times taking the Four Day Defensive Handgun course. First time was with my Glock 21, second time was with my Kimber Pro CDP. I've posted my thoughts before on this forum but will gladly hit the salient points again for you.

The training is absolutely, positively top notch. Their motto is 'You don't know what you don't know' and boy howdy it really hits home. You will find the instruction extremely professional, courteous and comprehensive. In this particular course you will not do shooting from cover or while moving, nor will you do shooting from prone or weak hand. You will, however, receive instruction on house clearing, you will shoot tactical simulators and have a class shootoff with your classmates. You will also find that by the end of your course your shooting skills are markedly improved from what you brought in.

There will be absolutely no mention of anything controversial. You will attend lectures on the appropriate use of force, Cooper's color coding, and at lunch they give OPTIONAL talks about the Front Sight programs. I did not attend the lunch time talks as I used the time for a power nap.

The course is extremely intense. There is no down time whatsoever, save the hour that they give you for lunch. You are either dry firing, shooting, reloading, or watching the instructors demonstrate the necessary handling maneuvers.

The attitude of the instructors is nothing short of fantastic. They are absolutely dedicated to making you be the best shooter than you can be, and they treat each student - regardless of his or her ability or background - with utmost courtesy and respect. No Marine Corps DIs here - you will be treated like a valued customer. You will get a load of personal attention from the instructors, and in fact the ratio is about 1 instructor for every 3 or 4 students. Safety is not only stressed, it's hammered into you and you'll take those lessons with you for the rest of your life.

First time I stayed in LAS, and second time I stayed in beautiful downtown Pahrump. Both have advantages and disadvantages. LAS is, well, LAS, and there's a ton of stuff to do at night. But you can count on not less than an hour drive each way, and boy howdy that drive gets long by day four. Plus, at night you have to eat, then clean your weapon, then if you're at all dedicated you'll want to do some dry practice. Makes for a loooonnnngggg day. Pahrump is, well, Pahrump. Hotels leave something to be desired, restaurants are terrible - but it's a lot closer, being only about 20 minutes from the range.

Fantastic school. Can't wait to go back for the Skill Builder course!

Hope this helps.

Mike

·
Registered
169 Posts
I attended the four day handgun class last December. I can recommend Frontsight without reservation. All of the cult and weird rumors that were floating around about a year ago are totally false. The only sales pitches are optional talks by Dr. Piazza during lunch. I never attended them and was never approached to buy anything.

The instructors are professional and the atmosphere is supportive versus demeaning. The cirriculum offers brisk progress and most people will be amazed at how well they do. The four day program is four long days and does not leave much time for other activities. So, if you intend to enjoy Las vegas, plan a couple of extra days.

I have not attended classes elsewhere other than a police academy years ago. We were in the revolver days then so I decided to take this class to learn how to run a semi-auto a little better. The traing was much better than the academy I attended.

Bottom line. I went to Frontsight with fairly competent marksmanship skills. They did not improve my basic marksmanship but they taught me how to employ my pistol much more efficiently from concealed carry and the art of getting the most from a semi-auto pistol. I am still aamzed at how quickly I can accuratelty employ my weapon from concealed carry. I will be returning to Frontsight this May.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Citabria

I was planning on attending FS this month but decised to pass until the weather would be warmer, plus I've got a Shania concert to attend that would jam up the schedule, LOL. Cold weather isn't my thing and trying to shoot when shaking isn't a challenge I would elect. The desert gets pretty cold in the morning and evening this time of the year.

FS and Gunsite are two places I plan to train next year. I might have mentioned already I know an ex-instructor from FS and he had nothing but praise for FS especially the 4 day traing classes.

Might just see ya at FS in May.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I was there this time last year and the first couple of hours in the morning and the evenings were cool but the majority of the day was beautiful. Hope to see you there.

Dave

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,065 Posts
I took the free SMG class in early '01, and had a great time. I bought a certificate, and was going to wait until the facility was closer to what they were envisioning, before returning; how close are they to completion?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Rick,

Well, there's good news and some not so good news on this front.

They are continually improving the facility. The rappelling (sp??) course had improved dramatically when I was there. They are supposedly installing the water lines for the ranges so there will eventually be running water. Currently they do not have running water at the ranges; they have port-o-pottys and these huge vats for hand washing. I wouldn't dare clean my glasses in those hand washing machines, and with the dust and the oils from my face my glasses required constant cleaning. I brought along a small spray bottle of alcohol and a towel that I kept in my range bag, and that worked well.

In spite of this, the facilities are good and the training is absolutely top notch. I was in Las Vegas today on a trip for my airline, and all I could think about was how I could get back there for my next course.

Just my humble opinion and I hope this helps.

Mike

·
Registered
67 Posts
Fr Sight certificate for sale (cheap)

I have a 2 day certificate for sale for fronsight , good for any 2 day course, rifle, pistol, shotgun, selling it for 250.00,it's worth 600.00
kenner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts