1911Forum banner

How Many Have Strayed?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of us has a custom or semi custom from some other maker besides Ed Brown?

·
Registered
364 Posts
LOL, hey it's not like marriage, you can have more than one!

Not sure "straying" is the appropriate term. It's been more of an educational path for some of us to get our first Brown, while for others Brown's still remain out of their financial reach, so for them maybe buying a "semi custom" was or has been their best option. Plus I think most would agree that there are several high quality pistolsmiths and firearm Mfg's out there who also produce products that can be enjoyed or also fit our needs. For some of us it's been an interesting journey before we purchased our first Ed Brown and while owning our Browns. And especially those of us living in a very firearm controled state, for our own safety that is of course, our choices are very limited even within the Brown family of firearms that we can choose from. At this time there are only 3 Browns that we can choose from that have been "approved" for sale here in CA :) ,,,,,,

I would guess that a large percentage of us here have had or currently do have 1911's from other known Mfg's. That's my case for sure :) And I am not sure that in any way has or is a bad thing. For most I would think it makes them apprecaite their Browns much more than not have having experieces with other 1911 Mfg's... YMMV :)

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have a Fusion Firearm ordered. Main reason I went with it cuase I wanted a 5in bobtail in 9mm.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I have my Springer GI at the Custom Shop right now. My next will be a LB PII and a Wilson CQB Elite after that. I've been eyeing an EB SF with naked slide lately though...:hrm:

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have a Wilson CQB and Nighthawk GRP Recon. Both are basically BBQ guns, though, while my Kobra Carry is the only thing I use off-duty. I'm looking to get second EB early next year, probably a stainless SF Carry to rotate with the KC.

·
Registered
597 Posts
The poll is flawed, you're basically winding up with 100% responses to "strayed."

There should be an "only EB" response indicating no straying. I know several members who only have EB's, and one cat wth seven of them.;)

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
The poll is flawed, you're basically winding up with 100% responses to "strayed."

There should be an "only EB" response indicating no straying. I know several members who only have EB's, and one cat wth seven of them.;)
I noticed that flaw as well. I chose Ed Brown after having had the chance to handle LB, WC, NHC. So I don't see myself choosing one of those over a Brown in the future. I've never seen a Fusion or an RRA. If I did come across an RRA 1911, I'd give it a hard look just because I own another RRA product that I have been very happy with.

·
Premium Member
5,753 Posts
Only other "high end" 1911 maker I own right now is Les Baer.

I do however have an assortment of S&W, Colt, and Springfield 1911s, I like a trashy woman every once in awhile! :p

Edit for full disclosure...

If I could get one, I would own a Rock River Arms, I should have ordered one when I could. :bawling:

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Well, I've owned Baers and Wilsons in the past before I got my Special Forces.

·
Registered
869 Posts
2 Baers, .45 1.5" guarantee and 9mm, both PIIs. It's not straying, it's collecting, or diversifying. Tiger Woods was straying.

·
Banned
2,125 Posts
2 LB's.1 a hwy Monolith hard chrome with a 1.5 option,1 a PII in 9mm with FS and no FCS.
I also have a couple of custom 1911's built to my specs from 15 yrs ago.
DAT85

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Since this wasn't research for a scientific paper, only a light hearted information poll I did not put much thought into it. I was wondering how many folks had other types of pistols.

In hindsight that would have been a good addition.

For years all I had were EB pistols. I picked up a used TRS and like it because of it's differences, not in spite of them.

·
Registered
373 Posts
flawed

Hello, my name is Mauser, and I'm flawed!...2 Browns...experience with a trashy woman riding a "Pony," ....not so good.

Mauser

·
Premium Member
2,749 Posts
Already owned a Baer Thunder Ranch before purchasing my KC, and since have custom ordered a Nighthawk. Though very pleased with the Brown and Baer so far, I wandered just to fill a curiosity and to get a government size pistol. I really don't expect to be disappointed with any of the semi custom pistols, once in awhile you get a lemon but, that goes for just about any product you purchase, cars, tv's, stereo's, appliances...etc. To date, I've not been disappointed by any of my firearm purchases, Sig's, Colts, HK's, Rugers etc :rock:

·
Premium Member
9,375 Posts
I noticed the flaw in the poll myself. :biglaugh:

But being that Brown knows and socializes with other makers, and many of the other makers use Brown parts, I doubt this thread will rise to the level of "Sharks vs Jets".

Regards,
Greyson

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
I have strayed. The reason is that I want a hard chromed pistol which Brown will not do. Ordered a custom made Fusion in that finish.
My Brown SS Kobra is excellent but Ed just does stainless, coated or not but stainless only.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Hey Ditto 95,

I guess I did just the opposite of what you were asking. I strayed from SA and Kimber (still like certain ones in each brand) to come to EB. I'm still waiting on my KC to arrive, but after shooting a friend's SFC a few times and reading what all of you guys posts about your EB's for nearly a year I will most likely stay with Mr. Ed. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I would have had an EB several months ago if I had gone with my first instincts and ordered an all blued KC with the options I ordered on the one coming, but as they say, "anything worth having is worth waiting on." Interesting poll though. :)

Sincerely,

PastorDW

1 - 20 of 42 Posts