1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how satisfied you are with these and the special grip bushings that are required. Are the grips and the bushings holding up? The thinner grips available from a lot of different sources seem to be gaining in popularity. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Tried 'em, didn't like 'em.
No problem with the grips or bushings holding up, and no problem changing the bushings, but unless you have really small hands, you may not like them.

Gotta try 'em to tell, unfortunately, unless you know someone with a gun so outfitted already.

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
Tried them and LOVED them. I now have them on all 3 of my 1911s. I have medium size hands.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
They were on my Colt CCO that I just bought. The grip just felt too small. I put on a Hogue wrap around and it fills my hand nicely. Didn't even have to change the bushings. Now it's my carry pistol.

I agree with Sawbones. You'll have to try them to see if you like them.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
scowall said:
i have the slim aluma grips on a kimber cdp and also on a colt Lt wt commander, and love them, i used the bushings that came with them, also ordered a bushing tool and have not had any problems.....scowall
Is the bushing tool to get the old standard bushings off or to get the new bushings on?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Thin alumagrips on my Compact CDP -- love 'em.

Standard grips on my full-size guns. Love 'em too. For some reason the thin grips on the full-size guns felt wierd to me.

ETA: Forgot that I had a TRS for a short time and I did like the thin grips on it. Memory must be going...

·
Registered
759 Posts
Both my TRS and the TRS Commanche came with the thin Thunder Ranch grips - and I have small hands, but I didn't like the feel. IMO, the standard 1911 grips shouldn't be too big for anyone save someone with REALLY small hands (read female) - though everyone will have an opinion. I'd caution against buying them unless you've handled - and by that I mean having fired - a pistol with the thin grips attached.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I have a set of Alumagrips thin's on my 1911 Gov't. After trying a few sets of grips I found the thins to fit my hand the best. BTW I have very large hands, I wear a size 12 in motorcycle gloves, that's XXL in most others. It's all personal fit. I also use a long trigger.

·
Registered
114 Posts
SgtYork, the bushing tool is for removing and installing all slotted grip screw bushings.
Personally, I don't care for thin grips, however, I did have a customer(male) with medium sized hands(palms) and REALLY short fingers. His 1911 ended up with a Brown beavertail, short trigger, flat MSH, and the thinnest wooden grips we could find.
He loved it, I couldn't shoot it, felt like I was holding a bare frame. So, to each his own.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
brandx said:
SgtYork, the bushing tool is for removing and installing all slotted grip screw bushings.
Personally, I don't care for thin grips, however, I did have a customer(male) with medium sized hands(palms) and REALLY short fingers. His 1911 ended up with a Brown beavertail, short trigger, flat MSH, and the thinnest wooden grips we could find.
He loved it, I couldn't shoot it, felt like I was holding a bare frame. So, to each his own.
I am another with medium size hands and short fingers - the reason I never took up the guitar. :) Sounds like the thin grips may work for me well. Thanks.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I really liked the slim grips until my plunger tube became loose and locked up the thumb safety. Now I use contoured S&A grips that have a lip to support the plunger tube. The contoured grips along with a short trigger work for me.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
gewehr3 said:
I really liked the slim grips until my plunger tube became loose and locked up the thumb safety. Now I use contoured S&A grips that have a lip to support the plunger tube. The contoured grips along with a short trigger work for me.
Interesting. I have yet to hear a complaint about the thin profile Alumagrips. Aynone?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Gewehr3, I have found that over the past 4-5 years, more often than not the plunger tube is loose from the factory. This seems to be the norm regardless of mfg. The holes in the frame are not chamfered inside, therefore the legs do not expand when peened.
When I find a loose one on a customers pistol, I pull it, chamfer the holes on the inside of the frame, reinstall it with Loctite stud and bearing locker and peen it.Haven't had any come loose yet, regardless of grips.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Love em'

I've got a CQB compact with Wilson slim grips. My hands are large, and normal thickness grips feel good as well. I like the smooth, slim-grips for concealment purposes, and they just feel great, maybe I have short fingers.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a short trigger and the "Wood-Grips" thin cocobolo for as near perfect a fit as I can get on my Commander. I have hands like a small kid. my first finger is 2 1/2" base to tip and my palm is 3 1/2" from the wrist to the base of my first finger. Most guns don't fit me so I feel lucky I can get a 1911 to work well:rock: .
Josh

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.