1911Forum banner

What is your thought on additional gun purchases at this time?

41 - 60 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I've pretty much stopped buying, think three in the last year, not because of politics but just because I ran out of ones I wanted. Besides that I'm not one for waiting in line which my favorite shop always has. That alone and the fact there hasn't been any gun shows around here I suppose has saved me from a lot of superplus buys.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm using this panic to offload a bunch of my unused guns and brass I'm never going to reload. I still have a couple guns on my radar that I'll buy if I can find them for good prices.

I have pretty much stopped all shooting though. It's just not that fun anymore when you look at how hard and expensive it will be to replace what I shoot. I'll still shoot clays this summer since I have enough components to reload two years worth of shooting and that ammo is a little easier to find if I do run out of reloads.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Mostly buying ammo and reloading supplies when the money and stock coincide. My LGS does have an MP-40 clone I've been eyeballing for some time now. It's pretty much useless and I definitely don't need it but I want it.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Well I was in a couple of gunships near Appomattox today...9 mm polymer handguns available at near normal prices, ·45 cap Rock islands also but only 10 boxes of .40S&W ammo at mid $40s range per box of 50 and .38~40 ammo. Bird shot 12, 20 & 28 gauge shot gun ammo was available. No 9 mm 5.56 in sight.

·
Premium Member
13,882 Posts
Newbie's get a waiver of course, but any old-timers who have been shooting for many years looking to buy guns (now) isn't doing proper planning...But hey, none of us is perfect, although I nailed 2A, I really came up short with Toilet Paper last year.:)

·
Registered
854 Posts
I have all I need but not all I would like to have. Looking at a 10mm rifles.
Will not sell any!
As ammo , have 26 gun safe 3/4 full of ammo, different calibers.
Not a hoarder, a reloaded. Retired gives me something to do.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Other than 12ga shotgun to round out what I have, the only other gun I would like to have is a WW1 or WW2 1911 in decent condition. Ammo I’m good on, factory and reloads.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Every time I get a grand or so in my gun budget I end up getting another gun and now I can’t shoot any of them because no ammo. So until I have my Dillon 1100 set up and running, no more gun buys. 2021 is a year to get independent of these stupid ammo crunches.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I buy what I want. Biden has made it more difficult. Almost as bad when many thought Hillary may have been elected. Don't let the tail wag the dog.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I slowed down a long time ago, but 20/21 is seeing me trade guns I don't use being swapped for ones I have reloading supplies for.
I did stock up some more ammunition before it got too high this summer.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Every time I get a grand or so in my gun budget I end up getting another gun and now I can’t shoot any of them because no ammo. So until I have my Dillon 1100 set up and running, no more gun buys. 2021 is a year to get independent of these stupid ammo crunches.
Good luck finding your independence without primers. Ammo might be easier to find.

·
Premium Member
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Yep, stopped buying guns and sold all that I had...

Liar. I may have believed a boating accident, but "...sold all..." ??

In the words of THEIR new president... "Come on, man."

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
I’m in netural the engine is off I’m coasting for now. I have other hobbies.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
Good luck finding your independence without primers. Ammo might be easier to find.
Primers isn’t my problem it’s powder. During these tough times of shortages is what surplus military ammo is for it fills the inbetweens. The Russian Barnaul ammo was $59/1000trds at sportsmansguide after slick Willy’s stopped the Chinese imports of that new 7.62x39 ammo. Funny no one caught on? Dah?

Right after the first shortage the prices were,,,,,,

Spanish 9 mm largo ammo $4 a box. Century arms
Russian Barnaul 7.62x54r soft point ammo $4.99 a box. Spg
Czech 7.62x54r FMJ silver tip 800 rd case delivered $85 at spg
Russian Barnaul 7.62x39 FMJ 1,000/$59 spg
Turkish 8 mm 70 rds/ $4.50
Yugo 8 mm case

You didn’t stock up when life was good? If things stay the same I’m going to pull ammo apart and lower the power charge. Still shootable target ammo. If things don’t change.

We talked about this decades ago on another forum that the military surplus stuff wouldn’t last for ever. Soon after the cheap surplus 8mm military ammo started to be harder to find. Years later with most surplus calibers being hard to find the surplus military rifles started to dryup. The Turkish 8 mm Mausers were $36.00, the Russian mosins were $39.00. Prices have changed today.

My point if you didn’t learn back then, that history repeats itself. There’s a time to buy and a time to pass.

41 - 60 of 151 Posts