1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Nice rifle.

I have 3 right now, a WWII Springfield CMP Special, a WWII Winchester which is in process of being corrected, and Post War Springfield Service Grade. I just started saving for #4 after #3 hit the FedEx store last Monday. :rofl:

My AR's are fun to shoot, but not nearly as much fun as these old war horses.

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
I have two, both shooters, one is a Nave version in .308 with new CMP wood and a new criterion barrel. The other was a lend lease, back from Holland. I put an after market stock on it and with the low erosion ratings, it shoots great.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
I do!!! I was on the Fulton Armory website this morning. Is the one in the photo a "Miltec"? The reason I ask is that they advertised that they're sent in a pine box and I saw the box, although now it looks like oak or something similar. At any rate, I love your M1 and want one just like it.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do!!! I was on the Fulton Armory website this morning. Is the one in the photo a "Miltec"? The reason I ask is that they advertised that they're sent in a pine box and I saw the box, although now it looks like oak or something similar. At any rate, I love your M1 and want one just like it.
No, it is a regular CMP service grade. The crate I bought from a buddy of mine.

James

·
Registered
8,321 Posts
Me too!!! I am a proud owner of a 5 mil serial numbered Springfield and it is the rifle I have the most fun shooting.

Nice rifle.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I love mine! They are great company to any 1911! I'll never get over how the recoil of the M1 Garland is more like a direct push into your shoulder and not a kick or slap. It's also nice to be reminded how accurate semi auto rifles can be, even when shooting with open sights.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I don't have any but have been wanting to get into them. Can you guys recommend what ones to go with and what ones to stay away from?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't have any but have been wanting to get into them. Can you guys recommend what ones to go with and what ones to stay away from?
Go to the CMP website and order one before they are gone. The wait is long but worth it. I think the service grade is the best all around package for anyone who wants to get into the M1 Garand.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I want one. I was talking with my uncle that lives in the ATL area over Thanksgiving while on the way back from the shooting range. Next time we go down there we are going to the CMP in AL and I am having one sent back to my FFL (if I cant pick up there as a long rifle).

I also want a M1 carbine...real...or repop.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts

James
James, that is one sharp M1!
I have a H&R and a Springfield.
The only thing that comes close to them is my Springfield 1903 A3.
Respects, Pedro.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I want one. I was talking with my uncle that lives in the ATL area over Thanksgiving while on the way back from the shooting range. Next time we go down there we are going to the CMP in AL and I am having one sent back to my FFL (if I cant pick up there as a long rifle).

I also want a M1 carbine...real...or repop.
You'll very likely be disappointed if you drive to Anniston. The days of racks full of m1's is gone. Might be some specials, m1d's and m1c's. The orders are so deep on service grades that the store isn't really stocking shelves. I should have bought one of the govt. Kimber 82's my last trip in June. They are gone too.

·
Administrator
73,995 Posts
The better question to ask would be, "who doesn't like M1 Garands?". They are an American icon, literally a war-winner for the US armed forces during World War Two.

Mine was formerly my dad's, who bought it during the mid 1960s. It's a 1943 Winchester receiver with a 1945 Springfield barrel, and mostly SA small parts.

·
Banned
1,327 Posts
M5A1 Bayonet

Let's put a Korean War M5A1 bayonet on there!;)

Attachments

·
Registered
685 Posts

James
I thought that looked like a CMP walnut stock on there but the coffin threw me off and led me to believe that you have one of those newer Garands from Springfield which have the cast receiver instead of the forged receiver. My CMP Special is better shooter than I can make it work, but I'm practicing.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The better question to ask would be, "who doesn't like M1 Garands?". They are an American icon, literally a war-winner for the US armed forces during World War Two.

Mine was formerly my dad's, who bought it during the mid 1960s. It's a 1943 Winchester receiver with a 1945 Springfield barrel, and mostly SA small parts.

Some people just do not like old guns. Other have said they do not like the clips and the chance of winning the "Garand thumb". To be honest, I never shot this rifle and I bought it last year. I did shoot one before a couple of years back at my buddy's range. An older WWII vet had one and he let us shoot it. Guess what? I own one now! Also, I have my 03 FFL and have been more and more interested in older milsurps than I do newer guns. Anyway you look at it, the M1 Garand is one bad ass rifle.

James:cool:

·
Registered
549 Posts
You'll very likely be disappointed if you drive to Anniston. The days of racks full of m1's is gone. Might be some specials, m1d's and m1c's. The orders are so deep on service grades that the store isn't really stocking shelves. I should have bought one of the govt. Kimber 82's my last trip in June. They are gone too.
Edit- just looked at the CMP site, might have to bump this up on the priority list. I have not been on the site in 6-8mo looking at what they have and looking now a LOT of stuff is no longer available. Service grade is what I will be looking at/for.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I thought that looked like a CMP walnut stock on there but the coffin threw me off and led me to believe that you have one of those newer Garands from Springfield which have the cast receiver instead of the forged receiver. My CMP Special is better shooter than I can make it work, but I'm practicing.
You mean the M1A? I would not mind having one to be honest but I rather have the real deal first. I bought this rifle from the same guy who sold me the crate. He is a Vietnam vet and a huge Garand fan. I also got a RR 1911A1 from him as well.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts