1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to intro myself since I'm new here.

David S.
Chief Petty Officer, USN
NRA Member
Live in Norfolk VA
grew up in Carencro LA

I own a 1991A-1 CDR model that I bought in 1993. Also have a Taurus .38 special (Model 85) for the wife.
My plinker is a Marlin model 60 I bought back in '75 (love it), my first rifle as a kid and I earned the money cutting grass and working part time

I recently found this site and had no idea what I was missing!

After having my 91A-1 for a couple of years, I made a few minor mods to it by buying a few Wilson Combat parts like ambi safety (I'm a lefty), a #1 match trigger (with a action job), drop in Novak site (hate it), old style drop-in Bvrtail safety (by Wilson, don't like it), Wilson 7 rnd mags (love em!),
Wilson ebony wood grips- awesome looking.

Now I want to install a better hi-rise grip safety and the Low mount Novak sites, plus a match hammer (mainly for looks) to go with the new bvrtail safety.

I've shot about 4000 rounds through the gun, and love it more and more. When I shake it, it has a bit of a rattle, but it's my defence gun for the home and shoots tight groups under 15 yards. I've never shot it for accuracy at 25 yards, but I'm sure it's not as accurate as the newer 91 A-1s. But inside 15 yards, it seems very accurate.

Well that's all for now.
Take care
David

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Welcome aboard, glad you found us.

The Colt Commander 91a1 is a solid gun as you well know. I suspect that the accuracy at 25 yds will be more than adequate. It will serve you well for years to come.

------------------
No man is above the law and no man is below it. Nor do we ask any mans permission when we require him to obey it.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Welcome, David. But now that you have joined this site, you will soon realize that one Colt is not enough. You have done well with your first, you must now put it aside and go buy another, and another, and another,...

·
Registered
953 Posts
Welcome aboard David. I too have a 91a1 and I am dearly in love with it. This is a really informative site so feel free to ask ANY questions you might have. I do and I am never let down by the many responses that I receive.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You know, I'd love another, but I think the Mrs. would leave me!

Although, if I could, I'd get another 91A1 (a 5" this time?) and have Wilson or someone build it up into one of those "match grade" tactical types. I remember someone advertising the 91A-1 as what they use for a base frame/slide. Anyone remember who that is by chance?

But yes, I agree, another .45 would be awesome. I didn't mention, I recently sold my AR15a2 (Colt upper/DPMS lower) in order to get a match grade for DCM hi-power and Navy match shooting, but as of yet have not replaced it. But that's another story for another forum.
Take care!
David

1 - 7 of 7 Posts