1911Forum banner
81 - 100 of 104 Posts
I just came across a video where Ken Hackathorn and Bill Wilson talked about the people in the gun industry who had the greatest effect on them personally. Everyone from John Browning himself to Elmer Keith to Rob Letham. I'm curious who you guys would consider the biggest influences on you regarding getting into firearms. My picks:

1. Chuck Taylor. I read his Complete Book of Combat Handgunning from cover to cover until I pretty much memorized it.
2. Massad Ayoob. Not so much for teaching me how to use firearms, but understanding when and why especially as it pertained to self defense.
3. Jan Libourel. Gunwriter from the 1990s who did lots of candid reviews on the very kinds of guns I liked most. He

Jerry Barnhart. Jerry's accomplishments are many but his multi-piece set of tapes on how to shoot IPSC is still the best shooting instruction for action shooting that I've encountered. Also, Ray Chapman. Attended the Chapman Academy and that's where I really learned to shoot a handgun. Have to mention Ray didn't really do much of the teaching when I was there but his name was over the door, so I'll give him the credit.

First was Jeff Cooper in the late 1970s. Then Ken Hackathorn in 1980 when I took my first class with him. My last class with Ken was in 2014. He remains a close friend who I talked to just last week. Walt Rauch throughout the 1980s. Then Larry Vickers in the early 2000's after he retired from the Unit. The writings of Massad Ayoob have also been of great influence over the years.

I'm older so pretty much a lot of the old school guys already mentioned. I think a lot of young people have found interest because of movies and social media. Like the John Wick series and the training that Keanu Reeves did with Taran Butler.

81 - 100 of 104 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.