1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into buying a new ccw and my first thought was a S&W snubby, but the problem is that my pinky is in the wind when it comes to gripping and drawing.(J-frame air weight)

I know this doesn't bother alot of people, but it does me. I love the J-frames, and have shot them, but won't buy one because of the grip.

I plan on going with a good leather owb holster, and wouldn't mind a set of crimson trace grips. Are the Ruger SP101s a good ccw choice?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Try a pair of J-frame combat style grips on an airweight. They are slightly longer, and have finger grooves for all of your fingers. Not my favorite, I generally prefer boot grips or magnas with a grip adaptor, but they should give you the control you are looking for.

·
Registered
816 Posts
This is really a 'grip' issue more than a snubby issue. Lots of aftermarket manufacturers offer grips with territory for the pinky. My Model 60 has Pachmyr Compacs.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Smith & Wesson makes one for sure.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Slow-Ride,
I'm a Tennessean, living up 'north due to my job, but I've got hands like a country ham and although the little "J" no where near comes close to the pinky it is controllable with my hot 38's. To me, concealabilty (probably not a word) is more important. I have the little boot grips on my airweight and it ain't for shooting deer, but sure does hide good. Take care, keep the Big Orange safe.

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
S&W 642CT comes with the longer length Laser Grips installed.
Laser Grips Model LG305 They can be added to any S&W J-frame.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Herretts Grips will make you a grip from a tracing of your hand. Vey nice grips and great people to deal with.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
The S&W Model 60 since 1996 has been chambered in
.357 Mag. Stainless Steel frame & Cylinder with the 3" Bbl.
it is 24 oz and the grips wrap around and are longer than the
boot grips that conform to the frame there's a bottom groove
for the little finger. There's also a 2 1/8" Bbl. and several
sight options in each Bbl. Len.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The snub nose model of the 686 is sweet. I prefer the round butt to the square. Keep in mind though, it's no pocket pistol ;) .

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
What you need...

Try a set of "banana" grips on. They are a bit longer and should help with giving your pinky finger a grip.

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
I put Badger grips on mine for the same reason. Very nice finish, choice of material/color, nice little spot for the pinkie. Added about 1/2-3/4" to the grip length.

www.badgercustomgrips.com/
Good guy to deal with. answered all my questions with phone call. 3 styles to choose from-round, boot (no pinkie), or square.

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
Pachmeyer Compacs are nice. Totally different feel to the gun for me. Vastly improved and I can still carry concealed in my pocket.

·
Registered
217 Posts
For the J-Frame smiths, you can get either pachmayr compacts which are a little big, or the compact professionals which are perfect sized, open backstraped. Also for the SP-101 you can get pachmayr compacs which are nice also :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts