1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard it said that Wilson Combat uses the same slide's and frame's as Kimber, is this true?

If so, what is the quality of these parts and where are they made?

I was under the impression that Wilson Combat made all their own parts, but it has come to my attention that they do not.

I still believe Wilson Combat makes the finest 1911's on the planet, but I would like some more insight from others.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
There was an article in one of the gun magazines a few years ago about Jerico Manufacturing. This is a production machine shop which make frames and slides for Wilson Combat, Kimber, and Chip McCormack. If you look at pictures of slides and frames from these companies, there are some VERY similar features.

·
Registered
58 Posts
That is correct, but they are made to Wilson specs and fitted by Wilson. They are not the same spec as the Kimber factory guns. It may be made by the same people, but it's not the same.

------------------
Greg Rodriguez
Mombasa Trading COmpany
281-494-4151

·
Super Moderator
1,879 Posts
The article the above poster mentioned is in the American Handgunner Sept/Oct 1997 and according to the article the company is located in New York

I hope this helps.

The article is very, very, interesting reading and when spec are checked one does get what he pays for.

------------------
Be safe and keep the brass flying

Terry Peters

http://www.pt-partners.com

Do your research but you get what you pay for front end or back end.

·
Registered
130 Posts
In the town of Jericho, Nassu County, Long Island, New York. I used to live on Long Island (Islip Terrace, Suffolk County) and my Dad used to make and sell reloads to the Gun Shops on Jericho Turnpike and though out Long Island (that was in the late 60s).

As it has been a VERY long time (30 years), and companies do move, they may now be in Yonkers.

[This message has been edited by Frank Sottile (edited 06-16-2001).]

·
Registered
285 Posts
I saw a thing once where the wilson , kimber slides and frames were made by Jerico precision in Yonkers N.Y. . I also saw a thing in a smith &wesson web photo that shoed a Smith & Wesson worker seated on a box marked kimber while he was machining a Smith Slide . I dont know if the photo is still on there or not but it was , hmmmm think I'll go take a look and see . By the way Wilson buys all his stuff and has it made to veru high quality and tolerances that most Mfg. dont want to pay for or mess with . I know I work for a holster maker who supplies Wilson and the Q.C. is a killer . He throws back better stuff than others sell to the public . But thats what makes BILL WILSON who he is , Quality first and foremost . Cant say that he is wrong with the amount of money he's worth .

·
Registered
78 Posts
There is an article on the KZ45 in new Shooting Times Autoloader that says "at present the raw KZ45 frame is produced in South Africa then Wilson uses his CNC equipment to do all the machining"

Irv

·
Registered
15 Posts
S&W forges slides and frames for Kimber, and for a few others. Don't know about Wilson's forgings and machining though.

Mountain Goat

·
Registered
130 Posts
This is as good as who makes the Frames & Slides for Ed Brown, Les Baer or Caspian Arms? Has Wilson Combat ever said who makes the Frames & Slides for them? Who ever it is Ed and Bill are NOT saying.

[This message has been edited by Frank Sottile (edited 06-16-2001).]

·
Registered
13 Posts
It is no seceret and Wilsons will tell you that Jerico/Kimber makes their frames. Just call and ask them.They will tell you. They are made strictly to their specs. I know for a fact that they have sent several back to Kimber for not falling into their specs. Wonder who uses those???????

1 - 13 of 13 Posts