1911Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any place to get annual production or shipment figures for major manufacturers?

Looking to verify a rumor, Les Baer ships 30,000 guns per year, Wilson ships 15,000. These numbers seem awful high to me.

I would be amazed if Colt and Kimber shipped this many guns per year.

Any comment or sources?

· Premium Member
5,963 Posts
Check out each manufacturer's annual report

Usually on line. (American Handgunner quoted Kimber production last year at 70,000 normal production units (not including specials)). The last number I was able to find on Colt was about 23,000 in 2002 but I think they make more than that now.

· Registered
1,006 Posts
jaysouth said:
Is there any place to get annual production or shipment figures for major manufacturers?

Looking to verify a rumor, Les Baer ships 30,000 guns per year, Wilson ships 15,000. These numbers seem awful high to me.

I would be amazed if Colt and Kimber shipped this many guns per year.

Any comment or sources?
I would eat my hat if Les Baer or Wilson made that many guns a year. In fact I would be shocked if either did more than 5,000.

· Registered
1,006 Posts
Curiosity got the better of me and I did a little googling. I didn't find 2004 production numbers but did find '03. As I suspected those numbers you mentioned were way off base. In '03 Les Baer made 1,896 handguns and Wilson made 2,255. Kimber made 48,245, Colt made 13,675, STI 2,446, Caspian 1,401 and Rock River Arms 188.

http://www.shootingindustry.com/02pages/SpecRep2.html#Anchor-Handgun-48213

· Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,403 Posts
The high-end makers sell very few guns. I suppose that's why they have to be so expensive?

· Registered
113 Posts
One of the reasons.

· Registered
509 Posts
Production Numbers

Of course I can't find the article now but Gun List had an article on gun production. I believe the numbers were from 2004, Wilson Combat was in the 2400 to 2500 range, Les Baer was in the 1700 1800 range. Smith & Wesson and Sig, Ruger had much larger numbers.

I might get organized in future and find article.

· Registered
1,732 Posts
Those numbers come from the ATF.

The way they "classify" them is by caliber group and pistol versus revolver, etc. Easy to tell what Kimber or Colt sell in 1911's because that's all they make, but not S&W or Springfield because any 40 caliber and above "pistol" would be included I believe, i.e. the XD or S&W's other autos.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.