1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering where you keep your PD gun at night? If you were woken by a potentially armed intruder in your bedroom, do you have to go scrabbling under the pillow, is it resting on the bedside table or else in the locker in your cupboard??

Was reading something recently on the WWW, concerning wound/trajectory paths, about how a man managed to kill his wife with his gun as they lay in bed; the police assumed that he murdered her, but it was apparently proved from the angle of the entry wound to her head that the gun he kept under his pillow would have to be pushed so far into the mattress (by the weight of the guy lying on it) before the shot was fired that he could not possibly be holding it at the time - it was ruled as an AD leading to a tragic accident in the end. I didnt take all of the detail in, but i had no reason to distrust the article. I don't know whether it was a cocked SA or a unlocked DA, but assuming that no-one would sleep on a chambered pistol(!?), it could be a DA with the lock swept off by movement of the pillow above it; i can then believe that the bedclothes could get wrapped inside the trigger guard, then as the guy rolled over the dragging movement of the fabric allows the discharge to occur.

Might be an unlikely event, but personally i'd be scared witless sleeping with my gun sticking in the back of my head. Dont think i'd even feel that comfortable with an un-chambered SA there! I dont really think that a gun under the pillow is going to be any quicker to get to than the gun on the table in this situation, though it has the advantage of being hidden from sight.

Sorry to drift off topic a little there; the question is, do you keep your defense weapon close to hand,(and in what readied state?) or put them away for the night? Do some people even store their weapons in another room, hoping they'll never have to get to them in a hurry?

------------------
"England, twinned with our great friends the PRK."

·
Registered
731 Posts
I keep my Springfield cocked and locked on my bed side table. My wife and I don't have children yet, so it's not a problem. I doubt that I could fall asleep with a huge lump of metal under my pillow, regardless of what it was.

Billy Ray

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I wouldn't even think about leaving a gun under the pillow. Mine (plural) rest within an arm's length of my bed. With two dogs in the bedroom, I can confidently say, if there's a break-in, my dogs will let me know, and I'll have plenty of time to arm myself.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'm like traevin, I have a 1911 in the nightstand within arms length and two dogs in the bedroom. If my 100 pound American Bulldog doesn't get the bad guy I'll feed him a 230g sandwich!

[This message has been edited by ybbeat (edited 04-26-2001).]

·
Registered
271 Posts
1911 cocked and locked on bedside table.
Night sights so any time I'm awake I can see those three little cat eyes staring at me.
Wouldn't be any trouble to find in the dark.

Only hits count

gunhamr

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ain't dogs great. Two in the bedroom also, wife in the bed, and gun next to me on the floor right close. Cocked and locked, like it's supposed to be.

------------------
If it flies it dies, If it runs it's done.

[This message has been edited by Peter Zahn (edited 04-27-2001).]

·
In Memoriam
683 Posts
Mine rests on a filing cabinet beside my dresser, just out of my reach as I'm lying in bed. This requires me to sit up and plant my feet on the floor before being able to reach my gun, so I'm morelikely to be awake when I do so.

Nearly thirty years ago, my oldest brother awoke one night to what he thought was an intruder, grabbed his pistol, and darn near shot his wife coming back into the bedroom after the baby's 0200 feeding. He told me he'd never keep a gun where he could reach it when he's asleep again.

Me, I figured it couldn't happen to me, until one late morning in the hot summer of '81; I'd worked a midnight shift the night before, and my (first) wife was gone to work. Our baby sitter wasn't available that day, so I had to watch my 3 YOA step-daughter. At some point during the morning, I sat down on the bed to fold some laundry, and fell asleep. My service revolver was on the nightstand next to my bed. I woke with a loud ringing in my ears, a stinging sensation in the palm of my hand, gripping my S&W 44 Mag. Terrified of what I'd find, I followed the path of the bullet, calling my step-daughter's name; there was a hole in my bedroom wall, through the hallway into my step-daughter's bedroom, the outer wall at the rear of the house, and God only knows where it came to rest.

I found my stepdaughter playing happily in her sandbox in the front yard. I had no trouble staying awake the rest of the day, and since then, I've never kept a gun where I can reach it while I'm asleep.

------------------
Roger Shambaugh
Ottawa, Kansas

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
As King of my home, I can do whatever I want, so long as approved by the Queen. On this matter, guns, power tools, and automobiles - none of them are allowed in the bed. I can have them close by, but not in the bed, so the Queen has told me.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Mine is in a shoebox on the floor under the bed. I can reach it with either hand while lying in bed. Naturally, it is fully loaded, cocked and locked, with a spare mag nearby.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Full mag, tube empty, lying naked in my night table in arms reach beside my bed. The idea of Cocked and Locked scares me, as it would be more likely that I have an AD then the one in a million chance of an intruder coming in. The noise of someone breaking in would give me more then enough time to rack a round in the pipe.
Don't get me wrong, there are advantages to C/L for other people and I respect that, just not for me. Anyway I have a Safe for all my guns just the 3 handguns I keep out all loaded the same way. One in the nightstand, the other two in my dresser at the foot of the bed in separate draws. Don’t really know why I have all three out of the safe, I guess there so beautiful to look at I keep them out. Colt Government XSE, Colt Officers XS, S&W 1506 9mm (Pre-Clinton cave in agreement.)
No kids, just the wife that knows about them and to not touch unless needed.
Things will change when my wife makes me some kids.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
OK guys - here's the Canadian version of "sleeping with the 1911."

Must have trigger lock on the gun. Gun then must locked in a secure container or safe.

I have to resort to sleeping with my Triple K baton, and my CRKT M16-10 (tactical folder).

·
Registered
308 Posts
Having a dog is about the best thing and for myself I lock my 45 in the safe and have another gun for defense that is not readily accesible, have kids so guns have to be put up.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Nightstand, for now, daughter's not old enough to get around by herself plus she sleeps in between my wife and I. I prefer to have my Trijicon equiped handguns on the nightstand. Makes it very easy to find.

·
Administrator
18,611 Posts
KS,
You were asleep? And somehow managed to acquire a shooting grip on the pistol after reaching for it while asleep?

Were you having a nightmare or what?

I've just never heard of someone firing a gun while sleeping...

·
Registered
861 Posts
The 1911 is a mechanical work of art. There is timeless genius in its design, and it is a sight to behold; however, there is nothing in my house quite so wonderfully wrought as is the Mrs.
Therefore, she and me share the bed, and the weapon is elsewhere but near at hand.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts