Votes: 311 85.4%
  • No

Votes: 53 14.6%
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question: Do you top off your 1911 magazines in your carry gun?
i.e. Load one round into the gun, put the safe on (Condition one) and then extract the magazine and load another round into it topping it off before seating the magazine back in the gun.

Has anyone ever had any a FTF while doing this?

It seems the practice of downloading M16 and M14 magazines to assure proper feeding during tactical insertions would also be the same with 1911 magazines. Then again it is fine to use the bolt stop on a M14 where it is debatable about doing the same with 1911s.

Anyone with more experience please feel free to comment.
Thanks!

·
Registered
382 Posts
The only times I don't top off is at the range when shooting multiple mags in succession. I've been doing it this way since my first semi-auto more than 20 years ago and I can't recall ever having a FTF that wasn't associated with a different issue.

After being on this site for years now, I'm beginning to think I must be really lucky. An old Llama .380 that looked a mini-1911, a Kimber, and now a Springfield. No problems with any of them except the Kimber and then only if I go past 1K rounds on a recoil spring (Compact model). New spring, problems go away.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Same, never had an issue with topping off a mag.

·
Administrator
18,611 Posts
If you are serious about carrying, you will always top off. If you don't, you aren't.

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Top off every time.

The only thing I may do a little different is I put an FMJ in the chamber
instead of my normal JHP carry round. If I break down and oil because I
didn't take my carry to the range in a couple of weeks I don't want to
waste a good carry JHP. So I simply throw the chambered round in a box
and use it as range ammo. I don't re-chamber rounds:)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you are serious about carrying, you will always top off. If you don't, you aren't.
That is the way I feel, but after spending the last couple months on my other passion M14 rifles, there had been many discussions about downloading M16 and M14 magazines (as instructed during basic training) to prevent the bolt from slowing down on a fully loaded magazine and causing a FTF.

It would only make sense for the same problem to affect the 1911, but I personally never had a problem with this in any of my auto-pistols and further disproves the "myth" that M16 and M14 magazines need to be downloaded (at least in modern day magazines, earlier Vietnam era M16 magazines excluded).

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I used to carry a wheel gun with 6 and now use the 5906 it has like 15 more than twice what the 1911 has.
Kinda silly after 6 or 8 from the 1911 yiu would have to be realy in a bad way to need more than 8
Fire fight whan getting you hair cut? Picking up the rasin brand? ther are nut jobs out there and you may have to protect your self and others in harms way.
Yes maybe some nut walks in and starts poping off since he had a bad hair day? Or only got one and a half scoops in his box but I thing I could defuse the problem and if not one more round would not be much help at that point.
Or maybe it would.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I used to carry a wheel gun with 6 and now use the 5906 it has like 15 more than twice what the 1911 has.
Kinda silly after 6 or 8 from the 1911 yiu would have to be realy in a bad way to need more than 8
Fire fight whan getting you hair cut? Picking up the rasin brand? ther are nut jobs out there and you may have to protect your self and others in harms way.
Yes maybe some nut walks in and starts poping off since he had a bad hair day? Or only got one and a half scoops in his box but I thing I could defuse the problem and if not one more round would not be much help at that point.
Or maybe it would.
I think there is a fine compromise, I perfer light weight alloy "compact" frames (only 7 round magazine) for an everyday carry. This saves weight and prevents printing. But when not carrying, I use a full-size 1911 for the added magazine capacity, more stable grip and reduced recoil due to added weight.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
The issue with topping off M14 or M16 mags deals with not fully seating the mag because of the pressure on the top round. Remember, we are talking a high cap rifle mag with a spring designed to lift a lot more weight.

At least that's my understanding. Off course my 10 years in the Corps and 15 as a LE instructor I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Yes, I top off my eight round magazines. No, I never get feeding problems.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I voted no, because that is what I'm doing these days. That is because I cross into and out of no-go carry zones often and its a pain having the loose round floating around.

When I'm in my home state for extended periods of time (so I don't have to frequently unload and case up), then I do top off. I shoot 8+1 in IDPA all the time NEVER an issue.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I top off any gun I am gonna be carrying. My thought is it is an extra round that could, I say again COULD make the difference. If I'm going to the range they aren't even loaded; mags are filled but not in a gun.

·
Administrator
18,611 Posts

·
Administrator
18,611 Posts
1 - 20 of 123 Posts