1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of Taylors South Carolina. Happened upon this rig at the flea market this morning. It's well made, the body side strap is fixed and has a piece of spring steel in it.

Works well, I was using it this morning.

I'd be glad to hear any info. The only thing that popped up on a quick search was the obit of his widow in 2008.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
F.W. Lightning Gregory was my grandfather. I would love to know more about the holster. I have great memories of watching him work in his shop as a kid.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I happen to be lighting Gregory's great grandson and I am a leather worker and would love to see some photos of it and would be glad to answer any questions you have.

·
Super Moderator
14,942 Posts
F.W. Lightning Gregory was my grandfather. I would love to know more about the holster. I have great memories of watching him work in his shop as a kid.
I happen to be lighting Gregory's great grandson and I am a leather worker and would love to see some photos of it and would be glad to answer any questions you have.
I hope you guys know each other. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PM sent to Great Grand.......

Saw the PM before I went back to the thread.

Maybe you guys could add on to the thread to fill out the history of FW, I'm sure there is interest. Seems like good work to me. And how about that name, "Lightning", any sort of history to it?

Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
1 Posts
About Lightning Gregory

Lightning Gregory became a leather smith when he was in the navy during WWII. He was originally a gunners mate, but the destroyer he was on did not have a leather smith at the time and he volunteered for the job. This is when he got his nick name “Lightning,” because he could load guns faster than anyone and everyone started calling him Lightning, and the name stuck to him till he died. He learned to make all kinds of leather goods while in the navy such as; military dress shoes, belts, combat boot and even a leather popper for defense. When he got out of the military he started a leather smithing business in his hometown, Taylors SC. Lightning Gregory became one of the most well known leather smiths in the south east.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
What a great piece of history. Thanks for the posts.

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
Lightning Gregory became a leather smith when he was in the navy during WWII. He was originally a gunners mate, but the destroyer he was on did not have a leather smith at the time and he volunteered for the job. This is when he got his nick name “Lightning,” because he could load guns faster than anyone and everyone started calling him Lightning, and the name stuck to him till he died. He learned to make all kinds of leather goods while in the navy such as; military dress shoes, belts, combat boot and even a leather popper for defense. When he got out of the military he started a leather smithing business in his hometown, Taylors SC. Lightning Gregory became one of the most well known leather smiths in the south east.
Yes! Good thread.

goodlookin,by "leather popper" you mean a blackjack/billyclub or SAP kind of weapon?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts