1911Forum banner

21 - 40 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
I’m thinking about a diesel 10,000 k welder/generator. Install another oil tank for the diesel.
Serves two purposes.

I have a 4K welder generator now and a 3500 generator. The 3500 runs my keurig coffee maker while the 4K generator runs the freezer. We lost power over seven days once. I heat with wood and oil boiler.

·
Registered
23,137 Posts
The lady down the street has a 20 KW Generac.

With her 500 gallon propane tank which can only be filled to 400 gallons. If she starts out with a full tank she can run for four days, and then she is out of business. I keep enough diesel around to run for weeks.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
If you have the money go for a liquid cooled model. They typically run at 1/2 speed as an air cooled 17-1800rpm), they use less fuel, run cleaner, need less maintenance, are much quieter and will last a lot longer.

All that said they’ll be 2X the price. I’ve been researching them for a long time. I think this’ll be the year I get a 24k-27k liquid cooled natural gas unit (I live inner city).

·
Registered
248 Posts
Made it through more than one hurricane down on the gulf coast with a simple 4000 watt gas generator. Last one I was there for we were without power for 12 days. Ran the freezer and other items during the day. Had a window unit in the bedroom and ran it at night with some light and TV. We survived just fine and slept well in the muggy south. One tank of fuel lasted about 7 hours. Stocked up on fuel in advance so no issues there. Never felt the need to spend big bucks for something to be used maybe once every few years. I guess if it is a common occurrence to be without power then it would be worth it.

·
Registered
372 Posts
When I retired about 25% of my neighbors including me bought generators. Most if not all are Generac 20 or 22KW. A local farm coop stocks them along with filters and minor parts.

I considered several options and the Generac running on Natural gas won out. I have a diesel tractor and considered a PTO driven generator. But I didn't want the work involved to connect it evertime that we needed it. I also didn't want to deal with hauling diesel fuel. I considered a larger diesel generator but that takes me back to hauling or ordering fuel.

A few of us have had some trouble with Generac. Mine had a bad control board right out of the crate. It was replaced under warranty. The first time it started it threw a rod. Again it was repaired under warranty. It seems like they built them really fast and depended on the service guys to fix them. After this it has been dependable for a few years now.

The 22KW runs my entire all electric home. We do exercise a little judgement and try to manage the load. That is, we don't cook, wash dishes, wash and dry clothes, ect all at the same time. But the generator will do it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have a auto 22k Generac. It’s a great price of mind with me and my wife’s careers. If we are home, we can run the whole house. If we are at work and a disaster hits, she may not be home for a day. I may be gone for days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have a auto 22k Generac. It’s a great price of mind with me and my wife’s careers. If we are home, we can run the whole house. If we are at work and a disaster hits, she may not be home for a day. I may be gone for days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
This is something I’ve researched and dreamed about for years. I do have a portable generator but it isn’t large enough to run the whole house and all the extension cords running everywhere is a PITA. Wayyyy down here in SoFla the power goes out often as a result of hurricanes or other similar storms. It would be really sweet to have a whole home generator that automatically flips on. The problem I have is where I live its difficult to get the approval to bury the tank. Whether it’s propane or diesel it has to be a certain distance from things so if it blows or goes nobody else gets injured. And I don’t have a yard large enough to put it the required distance from the neighbors or street.
My only advice to the OP is if you do get one make sure it’s properly protected as my neighbor has one and flying debris from Irma last year destroyed the housing thereby damaging the generator itself and they were out of luck.

·
Registered
75 Posts
We have a 14k Kohler with an auto transfer switch and a 250 gal propane tank. It runs my whole house and once ran 4 days straight. Only one issue in 6 years was an ant nest the 1st year that got built in the main breaker in the unit that caused a missed start. It’s 30yds from the house next to the woods. The installer came out in the rain, diaged it and pulled a breaker from a new unit at his shop to get me running that nite. Since then I put an ant trap trice a year in the enclosure and no more issues.
My point is all things break no matter how well made, **** happens. I think a good installer with a reputation for good support is as important as the brand.

I went with the Koehler due to good reviews , and our local Generac dealer was very rude and had an attitude.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Depending on the extent of local emergencies, people may also consider a moderate-sized solar array mounted on the roof of a house or outbuilding, or even on a pole/stand that “tracks” the sun (to give more solar generating hours per day).

Such an array can easily be relied upon to power refrigerators, freezers, lights, televisions, well pumps, etc., etc., during the day when the sun is out.

This could then be paired with a small portable generator to power an A/C unit, and heavier loads (electric stove/oven, microwave, etc.).

If one didn’t mind a little bit of “electric censorship” during a disaster, this is a good setup, maintenance free, and, if tied to a grid, could also be used to “sell back” electricity to the power company the rest of the year, lowering one’s electric bill substantially. Of course, without a battery storage setup, solar will only work during the day....but in the South, is a substantial source of supplemental, maintenance free power.

It won’t, however, run an A/C unit unless you have a very large array. Hence the “censorship”.

·
Registered
27 Posts
We have a similar 21kw Perkins Diesel as FightinTXAggie described, bought from http://www.centralmainediesel.com/ about 15 years ago. (They had a free shipping promo, could not pass that up)
Found a good, used Square-D manual transfer switch on eBay.
Bought some reconditioned, lined 55 gallon drums to store the fuel.
Hurricane a couple years ago, ran the place for a week on it, wife was happy.

perkins unloading generator

·
Banned
11,450 Posts
I'm not a big fan of LPG/NG generators, simply because they're horribly inefficient. You'll burn 80-100 gallons of propane a day depending on the size and load. One is also dependent on resupply trucks... NG is dependent upon uninterrupted service- during the last 2 hurricanes that hit my area, natural gas was intentionally shut off in some areas, as the ground was saturated and they didn't want to risk a break in the pipes with gas flowing.

I keep 50+ gallons of fuel (gasoline) on hand, and can travel to get more. I can stretch my fuel supply by running as needed, rather than 24/7.

I've found that a relatively small (3.5k) will keep the freezers and refrigerators, as well as a fee lights goin, and use the 5k for bigger loads.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm not a big fan of LPG/NG generators, simply because they're horribly inefficient. You'll burn 80-100 gallons of propane a day depending on the size and load. One is also dependent on resupply trucks... NG is dependent upon uninterrupted service- during the last 2 hurricanes that hit my area, natural gas was intentionally shut off in some areas, as the ground was saturated and they didn't want to risk a break in the pipes with gas flowing.

I keep 50+ gallons of fuel (gasoline) on hand, and can travel to get more. I can stretch my fuel supply by running as needed, rather than 24/7.

I've found that a relatively small (3.5k) will keep the freezers and refrigerators, as well as a fee lights goin, and use the 5k for bigger loads.
I have to disagree with the 80 -100 gallons a day of propane. Mine ran 4 days and it used about 90 gal scoring to the gauge. Granted I was running at less than 50% load at most. The other big Beni fit to me is propane doesn’t go stale like gas or diesel fuel.

·
Registered
23,137 Posts
Gas is difficult to store.

I have to disagree with the 80 -100 gallons a day of propane. Mine ran 4 days and it used about 90 gal scoring to the gauge. Granted I was running at less than 50% load at most. The other big Beni fit to me is propane doesn’t go stale like gas or diesel fuel.
But diesel can easily be stored for years and be fine. And I am not sure what the specifics of your setup actually are. But Country is correct. Propane is a very inefficient fuel with which to power a generator that is actually producing any appreciable amount of power.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Sorry gentleman... but your myths about diesel storage and propane usage are grossly exaggerated.

I have a 200 gallon propane tank that last 3 weeks under load running 24/7....guess what? That's not hyperbole... that is actual data from my usage during 2 hurricane outages of 2 and 3 week durations. Like I said before, having had to chase down 5-8 gallons of gasoline a day to run my gasoline generator during previous hurricane outages, that was the primary reason to toss out the gasoline generators(besides brush lifespans) and opt for the permanent propane generator.

80-100 gallon propane usage a day.... come on, no one is going to believe that.

·
Registered
23,137 Posts
What size generator were you running?

Sorry gentleman... but your myths about diesel storage and propane usage are grossly exaggerated.

I have a 200 gallon propane tank that last 3 weeks under load running 24/7....guess what? That's not hyperbole... that is actual data from my usage during 2 hurricane outages of 2 and 3 week durations. Like I said before, having had to chase down 5-8 gallons of gasoline a day to run my gasoline generator during previous hurricane outages, that was the primary reason to toss out the gasoline generators(besides brush lifespans) and opt for the permanent propane generator.

80-100 gallon propane usage a day.... come on, no one is going to believe that.
With 200 gallons of Propane for three weeks? I am skeptical of your claims of Propane efficiency. And yes despite what your claims are. I can easily store off road diesel in bulk indefinitely. .

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Diesel storage...

I bought a 1000 gallon diesel tank off of an old man that buys, reconditions, and sells them. He has told me (on more than one occasion) that he has often bought old farm tanks that have been sitting with varying amounts of diesel fuel in them for over 40 years. I believe he said the oldest diesel he has used (recently) was from the 60's, found in a tank.

When he buys these "forgotten" or no longer needed tanks (often from heirs after the old farmers/ranchers have been long dead), he transfers the diesel into another tank on his trailer so he can load the one he bought, empty. Then he uses that diesel in his trucks and equipment...sort of a fringe benefit.

He says that he has NEVER found diesel that he couldn't use. And he has been doing this for a living for over 40 years. His recommendation was to just keep a clean fuel filter on the tank, and diesel will literally last a lifetime.

So far, knock on wood, that has also been my experience.

21 - 40 of 130 Posts