1911Forum banner

61 - 80 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
All I gotta say is not having power after a hurricane in south Florida mid summer SUCKS!
My portable gas one runs the fridge and we use the propane bbq to cook with.
But man it gets HOT HUMID AND STICKY in the house and I just can’t sleep in that crap.
I want a whole home generator to run some things during the day and the central AC at night.
I hear you man, went 5 days with out AC after Irma. I have a 5k portable with transfer switch that will run lights fans and the fridge. I also have a Honda 2000 for back up to the 5k and to let it rest. Over the winter I got a couple window AC units so at least next time we can have one room cool. I think I was loosing my mind on day 5. LOL.

·
Registered
6,683 Posts
I hear you man, went 5 days with out AC after Irma. I have a 5k portable with transfer switch that will run lights fans and the fridge. I also have a Honda 2000 for back up to the 5k and to let it rest. Over the winter I got a couple window AC units so at least next time we can have one room cool. I think I was loosing my mind on day 5. LOL.
If you have city water and it still runs after the event, then I can suggest this for some AC relief w/o any need for power.

1) you need something like a 4core car/truck radiator (bigger is better)
2) you need a shroud for fan blade to radiator (like cars and trucks have)
3) you need a hydraulic pump of correct design
4) you need a lightweight fan blade

The idea is to use city water pressure to flow through radiator, then into the pump that spins the fan, then dump that water back out to the street and/or store some of it for later use. Can be done using garden hoses, etc. City water should be 20F+ less than a hot humid summer day in FL.

It will provide some cooling relief at the gal price of your city water. The key to the design is to have a large radiator with low flow rate so you can get good dwell time in the radiator, and a high enough flow rate that can drive a pump that spins the fan. Unfortunately for you humid places, swamp cooler will not work.

·
Registered
413 Posts
If you have city water and it still runs after the event, then I can suggest this for some AC relief w/o any need for power.

1) you need something like a 4core car/truck radiator (bigger is better)
2) you need a shroud for fan blade to radiator (like cars and trucks have)
3) you need a hydraulic pump of correct design
4) you need a lightweight fan blade

The idea is to use city water pressure to flow through radiator, then into the pump that spins the fan, then dump that water back out to the street and/or store some of it for later use. Can be done using garden hoses, etc. City water should be 20F+ less than a hot humid summer day in FL.

It will provide some cooling relief at the gal price of your city water. The key to the design is to have a large radiator with low flow rate so you can get good dwell time in the radiator, and a high enough flow rate that can drive a pump that spins the fan. Unfortunately for you humid places, swamp cooler will not work.
Actually, not a bad suggestion, and I like the water pump drive idea on the fan! Very creative! I have electrically driven evaporative coolers for use outside in the courtyard that my house is built around, which definitely drops the temperature in that enclosed environment by at least 10deg (or at least if feels that much cooler). I can't tell you how many comfortable naps I have taken in my hammock on hot summer days under the shade of the porch that circles 3 of the 4 sides of my courtyard with the "swamp cooler" running in the corner. It really makes a difference! Misters work well too for outdoor use if you have water pressure, but you have to have water that is low in minerals or the misters will clog up pretty quick. Even without the usual source of water pressure for the evaporative cooler (or misters too for that matter) I guess I could, if I wanted to get fancy, use a sump pump and rig a recirculating system (obviously no recirculation system for the misters though) with an iced water sump of some sort (like one of the decorative metal horse troughs we have around the place) and further increase the cooling effect. Never had a need for it so didn't really think about that until now, but it wouldn't be that difficult to do and wouldn't require a lot of power. Heck, in a pinch I could probably repurpose the solar panel, inverter and battery system from my front gate to run it for as long as I had ice. Even without ice I could make a cascade system for the return water and still cool it enough to have a workable cooling system. That's one of the things I love about this forum, it makes me think about stuff before I actually need it!

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
We had an old Lister single cylinder diesel running a 120volt ele. motor at a hunt camp . Listing to the putt putt putt would drum you to sleep at night . Now I have a propane generac 7000watt for the last 11years that can run my well , refer , gas furance and several other area circuits . In 11 years powers not been out for more than a hour total time so it runs 10 minutes a week and that's about it !! Power copo head man lives down the road so when problems pop up his powers back on NOW if it goes off .

·
Premium Member
7,670 Posts
Well, purchased a Sears 3500W OHV 8 horse around 1999. I have never needed it but I have had many friends that have needed it. They were all very thankful that I bought one.

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
I went 10 kw portable with house breaker panel wired with appropriate plug. I had a licensed electrician do the work. I can run everything including A/C or heat. I cannot run the A/C and other 220 at the same time, but we can operate with that limitation. I wanted the off property option...but it is heavy. We have used it 3 times. 2 brief (3-4 hour) ice events and one summer A/C, 25 hour event (it was 100 daytime degrees outside), that event justified the breaker wiring cost! I now consider back-up power a NO-GO item.
I had a 220 outlet put in the garage when my house was built. During an outage, I turn off the main breaker from the utility company and connect my generator. I run it regularly to keep the battery charged.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is an older thread but I thought I would contribute. I had a 16kW Generac whole home generator installed a little over 2 years ago. It's been awesome! It came with a 10-year warranty! I have an annual maintenance agreement for $140/year but they keep the generator running in tip-top condition. This generator runs and performs a weekly self-check to ensure it's operating correctly. It has a phone app so I can see what the generator is doing. During a power outage, the generator automatically starts and switches my home power source to the generator automatically! It's a turn-key solution. I haven't worried a bit since it was installed. It's great piece of mind and it powers my entire home which would include A/C in the summer and the furnace in the winter. The only negative is during an extended power outage my home is the only light beacon in the entire neighborhood which draws attention to me. But, that's where the 2nd amendment comes in...

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
I ran my camp in the mountains on solar, 12 volts with eight 6 volt emergency lighting batteries. With a 90 amp alt, 4 hp gas engine. Great for lighting. Plus 12 volt camper stuff. I been thinking with bigger batteries a inverter can be used.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I live where this is no grid power. Generacs have a horrible reputation, which I concur with. The last one I had lasted 200 hours before it blew. Same for my neighbor. Now I have Kohler and much better.

·
Registered
22,874 Posts
I concur with this.

I live where this is no grid power. Generacs have a horrible reputation, which I concur with. The last one I had lasted 200 hours before it blew. Same for my neighbor. Now I have Kohler and much better.
Propane for electricity generation is just a bad way to go. The Kohler Diesel gen sets are the way to go. My wife and I looked at the Generac units and were not impressed.

·
Premium Member
2,904 Posts
Storm blew through Northern Dallas area about 2 hours ago. Power out. Generator running, A/C running. Regardless of which fuel you use, it’s nice to have power when the whole neighborhood is dark. It’s sorta like the compressor. Once you have one, you will not go without!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Thanks for the post. Great info here. We have been contemplating a gen set. We have a portable that will run critical circuits except for our well (650’ deep, 5hp pump motor). We want to upgrade to a propane whole house setup.

·
Premium Member
5,666 Posts
I have a Generac 11K propane, flawless for the last 4 years. Kicks on within 5 seconds of an outage. Longest it's run was for about 3 days.
This right here I have the same or similar unit works great have been using it for about 15 years.. It has failed to start during its once a week test 3-4 times do to needing the battery replaced but thats about it.. I have heard the new generacs arent as reliable as the older units but have no experience with them..

·
Premium Member
2,147 Posts
For the minor outages, I have a contactor grade Gererac 7500W that I bought back in 2003. If it’s going to be a long outage period, I get out my Winpower 15KW pto generator.

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
12 volts is the way to go, solar and making power from solar panels if strong enough inverters can be used but there’s plenty of 12 volt camping appliances.

·
Registered
6,683 Posts
12 volts is the way to go, solar and making power from solar panels if strong enough inverters can be used but there’s plenty of 12 volt camping appliances.
It's just too bad 24vdc accessories was not more available. 24 and 48vdc is just more efficient than 12v.

But, i guess you can build with more joules in 12v taking into account for the power loss. 12v just means more and/or bigger.

If going dc w/ inverter, its always better to use 48vdc. I have two batt/inverter setups (not for DP) and use two 12v deep cycle AGM batts to a 24vdc inverter. I would have used four batts for 48vdc but did not have the room for it.

Beyond FLA batts, they do make single lithium batts in various voltages, but the price is ridiculous.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Had a nice conversation with a generator installer at the bar one day. He said Generacs are junk and buy Kohler. He said look outside hospitals and gov. buildings to see what they use. I started watching...their all Kohler!

·
Registered
22,874 Posts
The Kohler diesel gen set is the only way that I would go.

Had a nice conversation with a generator installer at the bar one day. He said Generacs are junk and buy Kohler. He said look outside hospitals and gov. buildings to see what they use. I started watching...their all Kohler!
If I did not already have a PTO genset that runs off of my Kubota tractor. Which is essentially a diesel gen set. No doubt about it. I am still looking at a Kohler unit just because. I looked at the Generacs, and I was not overly impressed for a bunch of reasons. Not least of which is the inefficiency of running an electrical power generator off of propane.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
A client of mine has a 250kw(?) generator at his office. It says "CUMMINS" on the side.

I've been called in half a dozen times now, when power went out for longer than the UPSs could hold out, because the stupid generator failed to come on. As far as I know it has *never* worked as advertised; each time the vendor blamed it on a bad relay, sensor, or some other small component.

I suggested - in writing - that the vendor might consider providing one of their employees at their own expense, to spend each night and weekend beside the generator so he could push the "START" button when necessary...

61 - 80 of 126 Posts