1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious. I've never had any magazine related malfunctions with my stock Kimber Mag and wonder how the rest of your stock mags are working out, or have you changed to a different brand. I had a couple of CMC's in the past, and my stock Kimber mag looks exactly the same. I plan on getting a second mag either Kimber or CMC if that is the case. I can get a stock Kimber mag for less than I can get a CMC for by like two dollars.

Robert.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Kimber contracted from CMC for mags for quite a while, that's probably what you've got. If you buy a new one now though, I haven't a clue who they're getting them from, but they're not Shooting Stars anymore.
As to your original question, not a single one of the mags that came with my first Kimber (used, that I just picked up Monday!) was a Kimber factory mag, so I can't answer that question. :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But they are shooting stars though? I've tried a Wilson replacement spring and follower (plastic) in my Kimber mag for a while and had a last roung FTF the other day. I've noticed that the Wilson's spring is not as strong as the Kimber's spring, especially when it comes to the last two rounds.

Robert

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am using six stock Kimber 8 rd mags with my Eclpise Target II and six Stock Kimber 7 rd mags in my Ultra Carry II and have never had a single malfunction. About 2000 rds between the two guns. Dom

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've had a FTF on the last round of every magazine (only put 100 rounds through it though). I just ordered wilson 47 mags. Hopefully they'll work better.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a 45 (TLE) and Target II (38 super).

The 38 super mag is a 9 rd metalform (no Kimber logo) and works perfectly. I have two 38 super shootingstar 10 rd mags that work fine. I have 5 wilson 10 rd 38 super mags and have problems with slide lock on last found with four of them.

The TLE came with a 7 rd mag with Kimber logo and looks to be a metalform with a follower similar to the shootingstar follower. It works perfectly as well. I purchased 2 wilson 47 mags (7 rd) and they work perfectly as well. I have yet to try the wilson 47D mags though they work fine in my les baer. i have heard slide lock problems on last round with the 8 rd wilsons but have not tried them in the TLE. The std mag with my les baer was a 7 rd metalform.

I have some colt factory 7 rd mags (made by metalform) that work as well.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Mine are sitting on the shelf - I might have used one the frist day at the range - but they just seem to cheap to use. Maybe they're different for different Kimbers, but mine seem like cheap 'asian country of your choice' knock offs.

The McCormicks have been working 100% on my first Kimber, and what the heck, they just look cooler

·
Registered
125 Posts
I am still using my Kimber mag. Not sure who makes this mag, but I have had no FTF, or FTE issues with my Pro Carry.

My magazine has the "Kimber" logo on the bottom and is able to hold 8 rounds ( I was very suprised when I discovered this! ).

·
Registered
16 Posts
New to site and just purchased my first, and not last, Kimber..an Ultra CDP II. Replaced factory mags with Wilson's. Factory mags did not like hollow points or flat noses...Wilson's took everything.....

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have several stock Kimber mags that I use, just NOT with an alloy gun. the stock follower is fine in a steel gun, I haven't noticed any damage in my ultra eclipse.

·
Registered
90 Posts
while the Kimber mag I have resembles a McCormick shooting star the overall quality of my kimber mag is much better than the shooting stars I have.

·
Registered
377 Posts
My kimber mag is one of my carry mags, along with 2 mags my unit armorer found in the arms room. Actual military issue. These have never twitched. The kimber mag is unmarked but older as mine is series I. I have an assortment of other mags that are only range mags.

Steelheart

·
Registered
105 Posts
My original Kimber mags work just fine, but I did buy some of the Wilson mags. .45acp, because I heard so much about them being the best. Never had a problem with them. I think it was the FBI that specifically asked for Wilson mags. They do have a follower that provides excellent feeding. I just wish they made some in 9mm.

·
Registered
137 Posts
My two Kimber factory mags work fine, neve rhad a problem with them. That said I carry Megcar mag's daily.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I went ahead and purchased a second factory mag today for a back up mag. I don't really see a reason to try anything else, since I've had zero magazine related problems with the stock mag that came with the gun.

Robert.

·
Registered
445 Posts
RobertD. said:
I went ahead and purchased a second factory mag today for a back up mag. I don't really see a reason to try anything else, since I've had zero magazine related problems with the stock mag that came with the gun.Robert.
Robert which gun is it? The most serious problems have been with the aluminium frame models using the stock Kimber mags.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts