1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know how many of you have seen this, maybe most of you; but this is a video that is well worth 9 minutes of your time.

Why 1911's? - YouTube

Reactions: SM_453

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yes some of them are works of art. My 1911's shoot darn good. They're beautiful. I carry them, but not always. Would I take any of them on a bug out? No. A 22 year old G23 with close to 30000 rounds through it....is my friend, always.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Anyone remember the concept of the Sport Shooter? You know, someone who shoots for fun, and isn't always training for some apocalyptic tragedy.

If your only reason for being a gun guy is training for combat or the zombie apocalypse, then the 1911 doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

If you're a collector and shooter for sport, then the 1911 is a Godsend. They're financially accessible, a joy to shoot, and even more fun to customize. Me personally, I have gone full circle. I started with a basic 1911, became a gunsmith and built oodles of custom 1911's and now my tastes run back toward the more original pistols.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Anyone remember the concept of the Sport Shooter? You know, someone who shoots for fun, and isn't always training for some apocalyptic tragedy.

If your only reason for being a gun guy is training for combat or the zombie apocalypse, then the 1911 doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

If you're a collector and shooter for sport, then the 1911 is a Godsend. They're financially accessible, a joy to shoot, and even more fun to customize. Me personally, I have gone full circle. I started with a basic 1911, became a gunsmith and built oodles of custom 1911's and now my tastes run back toward the more original pistols.
Nowadays, anyone who isn't a hyper-TACTICOOL OpErAtOr with delusions of singlehandedly holding off an entire platoon of "bad guys" is labeled as a FUDD.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I had seen the video before but was worth watching again. As the man said if you are constantly training for the Zombie Apocalypse then it probably isn't for you. At 67 and Type 2 diabetes I am not bugging out anywhere. So I train for self defense and carry a 1911 about 95% of the time and when I don't it has nothing to do with magazine capacity. Picked out my preferred handgun and my wife 45 years ago, Still love and have them both today. .

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Nowadays, anyone who isn't a hyper-TACTICOOL OpErAtOr with delusions of singlehandedly holding off an entire platoon of "bad guys" is labeled as a FUDD.
Guess I'm a Fudd (although I don't hunt Wabbits). Since I don't carry for money anymore, I'm just a sport shooter. I'll leave the tactical stuff for the young and enthusiastic.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
On some corners of the internet, sure. Certainly not around here. Mostly 1911s and wheel guns on our range, or small carry guns. Only red dots on pistols (other than mine) I've seen around our range have been on competition .22s. Sure, there a lot of ARs but most have nice optics on them and shoot tiny groups at 100 yards.

Unless it's a 3 gun weekend.

·
Registered
74 Posts

Well said Sir!

Reactions: DarkLord

·
Registered
6 Posts
The only time I don't have a 1911 is when I'm asleep, in bed, showering or outside mowing the lawn. Doing outside work near the house, I usually just carry something that'll fit in a back pocket.

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Excellent point!!!!!! I think the interweb is partly to blame for this phenomenon. Many folks in our shooting world get ALL of their info from the interweb apparently, rather than from personal experience, as it once was for some of us. Reckon that's the price of progress. :cautious: :cautious: :cautious:

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Anyone remember the concept of the Sport Shooter? You know, someone who shoots for fun
If Sport Shooter is someone who shoots for fun, what do you call someone who shoots for sport?

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
A REAL SPORT
Considering changing my screen name.

What if they shoot a polymer gun, still REAL?

P.S. Seen the video, got into argument about it here, not going there again.

Reactions: jr24

·
Premium Member
4,899 Posts
The only time I don't have a 1911 is when I'm asleep, in bed, showering or outside mowing the lawn. Doing outside work near the house, I usually just carry something that'll fit in a back pocket.
Feel free to P.M. me about how to avoid those periods of deprivation.
;- )

·
Registered
9 Posts
This pistol went through the most extensive testing of any to date. These test could not be done in todays world due to correctness in our society. Back then solders lives depended on it. War story after war story is told with this pistol. The famous Sergeant York gave it a work out, face to face against the rushing enemy. I grew up with it, carried it in Vietnam. It's still in use today, over a hundred years plus. It's still kicking ass and taking names !
If hell is at my door, no better pistol to answer !

1 - 20 of 91 Posts