1911Forum banner

61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Not all people react to a "near death experience" the same way as compared to others. Understanding the "fight or flight" syndrome implies some people may fight, while others may run. That is why some people are said to be "very cool under pressure." Under extreme pressure, some people will freeze "like a deer in the headlights!" In addition, some people have faster reaction times in dangerous situations than others. I believe I have faster reaction times than others my age. I have escaped serious vehicle accidents by my quick reactions and always looking for a "way to escape!" At one time, I held a sales position that warranted a great deal of "windshield time" and I was putting about 60K business miles a year on my car. Fortunately for me, I have never had an accident that was my fault, and currently, I haven't had a motor vehicle accident or moving violation in over 35 years......insurance companies like me!
Fight or flight type responses can also be tempered by past experience. I've noticed when faced with an entirely foreign 'o sh*t' scenario there's potential to freeze - which is usually me trying to figure out *** to do with this situation. It seems like thousands of potential options flood the mind at once and too much time gets spent trying to choose 'the right one.' It's gotten better since I recognized it and started to break the habit of overthinking things and just getting in there and getting it done ('don't think, just do' has become a mantra of mine). And if there's a second time I'm exposed to that scenario, there's no freeze - just action because I already know what to do with it. Practice makes perfect, so to speak.

Fortunately for the majority of us, we won't have all that much practice being shot at or having to return fire. Which is also unfortunate in it's own twisted way, since preparedness will be limited.

As for the topic at hand, the video is interesting, but waxes a bit too poetic. I carried the 1911 for the first 10 years I owned pistols for the simple fact that most self defense scenarios are resolved with an average of 4 shots, the trigger and ergonomics are second to none, and it had a safety. I wasn't, and to a degree still am not, entirely comfortable carrying a gun without an active manual safety. There are plenty of reasons that aren't emotionally driven to choose the 1911 as your go-to gun for every day carry. And with the advent of A2 and 2011 type models that have higher capacity, plenty of reason to carry one of it's descendants. Reasons that don't have to do with it being '2 time world war champion' or 'the hero's weapon.'

·
Premium Member
9,498 Posts
Hmm, I wonder how many steel Japanese Nambu's and German P-38's became unsafe to fire (heat treatment wise) after taking a nice squirt from an American flamethrower?

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk
Yeah buuuut, same scenario with a cave full of rubber gun packing Charlie’s and it would look like the Yokohama tire plant on fire! 😆

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I’ve liked them since I was a kid, always have and it seems that I always will by the quantity in my safe anyway. When I bought my 1st from a friend several years ago and joined this group, several here warned me to be careful because they multiply, boy was that true !!!

I do have a couple of plastic guns that are quite good but they just leave me feeling “meh” ,,, I like steel guns ! I really like 1911’s !

Are the plastic guns more reliable ? Personally I don’t think so, particularly if you spend some time to see that things are setup correctly, particularly the extractors, imho it’s key to a properly running 1911!

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I’ve liked them since I was a kid, always have and it seems that I always will by the quantity in my safe anyway. When I bought my 1st from a friend several years ago and joined this group, several here warned me to be careful because they multiply, boy was that true !!!

I do have a couple of plastic guns that are quite good but they just leave me feeling “meh” ,,, I like steel guns ! I really like 1911’s !

Are the plastic guns more reliable ? Personally I don’t think so, particularly if you spend some time to see that things are setup correctly, particularly the extractors, imho it’s key to a properly running 1911!
Extractors and good mags. After that it's all good in my experience.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
As Wyatt Earp was quoted as saying, (in regards to being in a gunfight,) ;
"You have to take your time, in a hurry"
I just watched a special about him somewhere that said maybe one of the reasons he survived so many gunfights is that he stood as still as possible as the shooting was happening. Seems most individuals involved in a gunfights will focus (as in shoot at) anything in their line of sight that is moving.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
Yeah buuuut, same scenario with a cave full of rubber gun packing Charlie’s and it would look like the Yokohama tire plant on fire!
See, another bonus of polymer 'gats. If the flamethrower doesn't get 'em, the poisonous fumes from the burning 'gats will.

A win/win situation all around, I say.

·
Premium Member
9,498 Posts
Boy, your crusade against polymer guns is pretty tiresome.

So STI and the HK USP expert are crap too?
Nope, neither are the Sigs and Walthers.
My biggest bitch are the ******* bubbas that don’t have a damn clue and put the Glock up on a pedestal. I mess with Butthead all the time, but he is very well educated on the differences. The nauseous BS that flaps out of the mouths of the uninformed is beyond annoying. Yes, stupid people do bug me and I spend a great deal of time correcting them.
Yes, I have a problem that has been diagnosed as not suffering fools gladly!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Great video, unfortunately it is all about emotional reasons and totally misses any practical reasons.

The 1911 is not only a great work of art but it is also a reliable platform that is available in multiple calibers. A well made, modern production 1911 is just as reliable as most any modern pistol design out there. Yes, I know that with some people it has a reputation for being finicky and unreliable, but in 40 years of experience with the 1911 platform, ranging from old military issue 1911s to recent production models, I just have not seen those reliability issues. And, it doesn't have to be a high end expensive custom piece of art to be a reliable and accurate 1911. Even in its original 45 ACP with the original 7 rnd magazine it still gives you twice as much capacity as you are likely to need in a civilian encounter, and if you should need more than that 7 or 8 rounds - well regardless of what you carry you should also have one or two spare magazines as well. It has a better feel in the hand and shoots better, at least for me, than any 2011 or "plastic fantastic" that I have ever held.

Better feel than a 2011? How can that be since the 2011 is basically just a double stack 1911?

Well the 2011, being a double stack, just by its very nature has a wider grip. This makes it feel different in the hand and for somebody with smaller hands could make it big enough that they just can not hold it comfortably.

After getting past the emotional reasons, for any make or model, it really comes down to only a few thing on a practical level. Does it give you the capacity that YOU think you need? Is it reliable? Do you shoot it better than the other? For me, I can honestly answer yes in regards to the 1911 for these questions.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Well the 2011, being a double stack, just by its very nature has a wider grip. This makes it feel different in the hand and for somebody with smaller hands could make it big enough that they just can not hold it comfortably
Indeed. I find the double stack 1911 comfortable in the hand (just like a Glock 21 Gen 4 feels a perfect fit for my hand) but I have found with mine that one handed shooting I occasionally lose my perfect grip and fail to disengage the grip safety.

If I decided to actually carry the doublestack for serious purposes I'd have to replace the grip safety with one of the extended ones, or pin it in place. Reality is if I really needed a full size double stack .45 I'd just grab the Glock or an HK.

Even so, I find the basic 1911 shape much more pleasant in the hand.

·
Premium Member
4,892 Posts
Indeed. I find the double stack 1911 comfortable in the hand (just like a Glock 21 Gen 4 feels a perfect fit for my hand) but I have found with mine that one handed shooting I occasionally lose my perfect grip and fail to disengage the grip safety.

If I decided to actually carry the doublestack for serious purposes I'd have to replace the grip safety with one of the extended ones, or pin it in place. Reality is if I really needed a full size double stack .45 I'd just grab the Glock or an HK.

Even so, I find the basic 1911 shape much more pleasant in the hand.
Likewise, I find a double-stack 1911-pattern to fit very well. My hands are average sized. My double-stack 1911-patterns include: Bul M-5, P-O, and 2011s from two makers. Grip perimeter is about the same as a classic m1911. The 1911s grip stocks typically make the grip just as wide as the M-5 or 2011 bare grip-frame Confirmed with precision calipers:

Bul M-5: 1.283" X 2.126"

1911: 1.373" X 2.020"

... so only .032" or ~1/32" difference; and that front-to-back. Depth taken at the top of the MSH. Of course thin stocks, or none at all, could make thinner a 1911 single-stack. However, I'm told at least the early 2011 grip-frames could be ground thinner too. The wide, polymer grip-frame of the Bul makes for a soft-shooting .45ACP.

The Bul has been long qualified as one of my CCWs. It had a good "speed-bump" on the grip safety lever.

Reactions: jr24

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
I mess with Butthead all the time, but he is very well educated on the differences.
Besides, Butthead (being a most practical chap ) doesn't mind sharing the moped seat (Glock analogy) with the fat girl, as long as she takes him where he wants to go (I.e. - saves his bacon when the hits the fan).

·
Registered
9 Posts
The bullet doesn't care what kind of gun it's fired from. You care about it firing when you pull the trigger and hitting what your aiming at.
The 1911 platform is above reproach. Remember it was never designed as a target pistol. It was designed for combat. It may still be in use another 100 years from now.
Us boomers know it works.
If it works don't try to fix it.
If your happy with polymer pistols, great. They work too. I own some.

I would never speak ill of the 1911.

61 - 80 of 90 Posts