1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I am sort of thinking out loud and would appreciate some input here. I am not trying to start a war, I like Hi Powers...have three of them. It is just that every time that I reach for something to stick in my IWB holster it is always a .45 and not a nine. I have a project in mind and may cut loose of something to fund it. I also have to keep in mind that if I sell anything here in California I will have a difficult time replacing it. Bottom line is it seems like a lot of pistol to carry around for the cartridge it fires. Does anyone prefer these guns to 1911s? Why?

Regards,
Marvin

·
Registered
688 Posts
I like it because it's one of the few hi cap pistols that doesn't feel like you're trying to hold a can of pop. I've always shot the 1911 45, and still do, but when I wanted a hi cap, all the 45's were too bulky. I looked into the 9mm's, and the Hi Power fit me the best.

I also think it's neat to stomp all these new fangled plastic guns in IDPA with a 60+ year old design gun.

I understand the Hi Power was the first successful double stack auto design, and, like the 1911, no one has come up with anything better. This is just my opinion, obviously, as there are a lot of good pistols out there.

------------------
johnnyb
A slow hit beats a fast miss

·
Registered
284 Posts
Have a 1911, but want a HP badly.

I am attracted by the lower recoil, more shots, ambi safety, and most esp. the mag. disconnect.
Too, it's a more advanced "modern" design.
I also like the history of the HP.

If I had both , I would carry one on Mon.,Wed, Fri, the other Tue, Thurs, Sat, and BOTH on Sundays and Holidays

Elsworth

·
Registered
321 Posts
Elsworth,,,
If you are lucky enough to purchase a high
power chances are you will find out that the first and maybe the only modification you
will do is remove the mag. safety..It will improve the trigger pull and allow the magazines to drop free..

·
Registered
125 Posts
You'll get a Hi-Power because it has many 1911 qualitites, and the ammo cose half as much. You'll stop shooting the BHP bacuse you'll hate the trigger reset compared to your 1911 :). I'll second the magazine sefety removal - good to do. I just need to a way to clean up the sloppy reset; I think it's worse than my SIG?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I feel equaly comfortable carrying a HP in .40. Eleven rounds of .40 is comforting. Dont know that i would carry a 9, simply dont think they are as effective when the chips are down.

Dont want to start a 9 vs 40 or 45 thing, just relaying my thoughts.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,011 Posts
I never thought I 'd want, or a carry, a 9. Trading ballistic performance for more rounds never seemed like a wise choice. But, after shooting my Hi-Power for a few months, and recognizing its inherent goodness, I can see using it in some circumstances as a defensive weapon. When I do carry, I have 21 rounds of .45 with me. When I'm out and about under normal circumstances, that's plenty. When I think of the LA riots, and the possibility of being caught away from home, with a breakdown of normal social order, I think having 40-50 rounds on my person would be comforting.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Well, I just love my BHP's, but don't carry one - preferring a 1911. They balance and point well - just have that sense of elegance that few handguns have.

With that said, Marvin Gardens, if you do decide to sell one or more in the PRK please let me know. Be happy to do a private party transaction with you!

Jim
[email protected]

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Originally posted by Bompa:
Elsworth,,,
If you are lucky enough to purchase a high
power chances are you will find out that the first and maybe the only modification you
will do is remove the mag. safety..It will improve the trigger pull and allow the magazines to drop free..

So True!

·
Registered
33 Posts
It doesn't have to be an either / or: Buy em both!

They both have tremendous history, character and dependability.

No one, IMHO, is "complete" without having a 1911 and a Hi-Power in their collection.

·
Registered
164 Posts
After going back and forth for the last 25 years (between the HP and the Colt) I ended up with 5 of each. Both are true classics (I ended up 5 German PPKs too, these three designs are all tied for first in my book).

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Handling qualities (grip, balance, pointability etc), it's lighter, trimmer and quality of fabrication is excellent.

As for the cartridge; the 9 is just fine. It'll reliably penetrate to - and through -the vitals provided the right bullets are used - I prefer the 147-grainers or ball. Added benefit in this regard when it comes to tactical barriers - esp with NATO spec ball.

I like the 1911 too, just not quite as much anymore.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Originally posted by RickB:
I think having 40-50 rounds on my person would be comforting.
A 13 rounder in the gun and two spares'll give you 40 rounds( w/one in the chamber). That's what I take on the road and going to or through a "Big City".

You never know when you'll have a flat, mechanical failure (car), take a wrong turn, etc.

------------------
johnnyb
A slow hit beats a fast miss

·
Registered
538 Posts
Only hits count!

The 9MM 115grJHP at 1300 to 1400fps, in the proper place will do the job. Or 85gr GAS at 1600+fps if a really quick one is needed.

The reason I like the BHP is shootability which translates into hitability.

I see no need to remove the magazine safety, or to do extensive trigger work. This is not a 'bullseye' gun. Good sights, and a reasonable trigger, good shooting will do the job. GLV

·
Registered
284 Posts
Dear GLV,

Where you get GAS ammo? I haven't seen that stuff in years.

I have always thought that a 115grn. at 1250fps, or a 124 at 1150, was the most appropriate for the HP. Nervous about shooting too much of anything hotter( if I actually had an HP
Just speculating.

Elsworth

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've collected several types of handguns over the years and used them in either IPSC or IDPA competition (thankfully I've never had to drop the hammer on someone). These include S&W M66 & M27, Para P14, Glock 30, and my BHP MIII. All are stock. I like them all, but I keep coming back to the BHP. It fits my hand the best, and I've been more succesful(sp?) with it than any other weapon in competion.

------------------
"An armed society is a polite society"

·
Registered
233 Posts
well fellas, i have a b h-p, and a 1911 and i wouldnt want to part with eather of them. as many of you have mention about certain features. personally im fond of big bores,the 9mm has alot going for it with todays ammo sellections. another pluss about the 1911, is that ther easier to work on. and parts and accessories are abundent.i have been shooting h-p 9mm 3 or 4 years now, its supper accurate and has been dependable as hell.
i have also a abundent supply of magazines, and so far i havent hade to fine a magg that hasnt worked properly in my h-p. but i'll use my h-p as a back up gun.i have put alot of work and money into my 1911,and i can shoot waddcutters hollopoints of many shapes, its dependable and accurate,and it will except many differnt brands of magg's.but when i first bought the 1911, it was but combat accuracy it would except all brands of magg's or ammo. i have completly customized my 1911, its a force to be recon with now. but with the h-p, i didnt have to do nothing inorder to improve it's performance. except i added adjustable rearsights. i wonder how often one needs to change up recoil springs?? i stippled my 1911 froint strapps and mainspring housing, and considering stippling my h-p.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i like the HP better, its not as bulky and i swapped the .40 barrel for the .357sig... im not sure about the stopping power but ill bet it gives the .45 a run for its money. besides i like my 1911's to much to get them scratched up

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
because it is soooo comfortable using my IWB holster. the 1911 isn't bad but HP much more comfy.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have 3 Hi-Powers and 5-1911s, with another on the way. I LOVE the Hi-Power, but wear a 1911 every day. I think the Hi-Power is a bit more comfortable to wear and feels better in my hand, BUT I don't have much faith in the 9mm. I used to use them interchangebly, but the more I shoot steel targets, the more I like the .45. All you have to do is watch how fast the plates fall when you hit them with a .45 and you'll see what I mean. When I shoot them with my Hi-Power, I can sometimes get in a second shot, especially if I hit the plate low. When I hit them with my .45, they just disappear. No "tiiiiiimber", like with the 9. One minute it's there, then it's gone. I still use my Hi-Powers for plinking or range work, and occasionally carry one just because I have so much money tied up in them, but day in and day out, I feel safer with a .45 on my hip.

------------------
Greg Rodriguez
Mombasa Trading COmpany
281-494-4151

1 - 20 of 20 Posts